French clubs in Europe 2013/2014

Discussion in 'France' started by Tsigalko, Jul 19, 2013.

1. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I'll support a French manager for OM only if its Papin or another ex-player. Papin deserves 1 last shot with a big budget which he didnt have at his previous jobs.

2. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Wow, OL won today with a lot of B teamers and youth players. That was unexpected because Portuguese teams are so tough so props to them.

StarrMatthieu repped this.
  3. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    OL finishes first and avoids all the big guns!

RG went back to a 4-3-3 because of the players he had available. antony lopes made an early return from two cracked vertebrae.

a. lopes
    tolisso - bisevac - b. koné - zeffane
    gourcuff - mvuemba - ferri
    danic - gomis - plea​

in the first half OL was able to move the ball very fluidly but lacked conviction in the duels and gave up a goal on a bouncing ball that, even if guimares is no great shakes, gave a logical HT scoreline.

the second half saw a completely different lyon, and the 1-2 final score was just as logical, even if at the end they showed a lack of concentration and killer instinct that let the portuguese come very close to equalizing more than once.

great match from mehdi zeffane. i've been watching this kid for years and was waiting for this breakout match. he may be our starting RB before the end of the season. saved off the line three times and hit two great shots (one crossbar) that both deserved to be his first pro goal.

antony lopes made an early return from two cracked vertebrae.

plea not sharp, tolisso atrocious, ferri poor in the first half but better in the second and a well-taken goal. subs were benzia, sidi koné and clinton n'jie.

at one point they zoomed lopes talking to mehdi and jordan and i thought: wow, just a couple of years ago i was watching all these kids on terrain n°10 at the plaine des jeux in front of 100 people and now they're in the europa league!

NicolasN. and StarrMatthieu repped this.
  4. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i saw the lowlights of the bordeaux match last night and was amazed to read this quote from matthieu chalmé:

"We all know the turning point of the match is the penalty. there's no foul of course, i think the images show that."

jesus h. christ, what kind of alternate reality does that little dungheaded weasel live in?

[​IMG]
    this image at least shows not only that he puts his boot right into the maccabi player's solar plexus (in real time the collision is rough) but also that there's a handball. just what does chalmé think IS a penalty?

lefutur repped this.
  5. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Yeah our club with the biggest budget has the best chance of winning in Europe. Go figure. :speechless:

6. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    and even then its a pretty slim chance.

Gotta love the Bayerns and Real Madrids of the world.

7. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I'd need to see how PSG's midfield matches up with Bayren's because I think PSG is at least equal or better everywhere else.

8. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    I needa see how PSG's wingbacks and defense operate against a top rated midfield and attack before I can confidently say they're there.

9. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Yeah Bayren would be favorites obviously but I would watch the matches if they played because I wont watch the matches if the French team has little or no chance of winning.:D

Catracho_Azul repped this.
  10. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    french team? i thought we were talking about PSG!

when they won the C2 i was ecstatic.

this PSG? big fat hairy deal. means nothing to me.

11. NicolasN.

NicolasN. Member

Oct 25, 2007
    France
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC

Surprisingly, we weren't seeing those stinky xenophobic comments when it was Colony Capital that took over PSG...

12. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Colony Capital destroyed the club. They reduced the PSG name to almost a zero. Thats why current ownership has to work so hard to get it back to where it was in the 90's. Spending is the best way like it or not. Again blame CC for turning the club into a joke.

13. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    it's not a question of xénophobie, which would be pretty rich coming froma métèque like me.

there was more parisian fiber in rai's little finger (we won't even talk about pauleta, what a god!) than in some of this season's entire starting lineups.

the problem is not origins, it's money, and more specifically, the modern mercenary attitude. it's not a distinctly parisian problem either, it's global: it only so happens that PSG was that ill's foot in the door here.

some of your players i know i will never like. some i already do: zlatan, for example, i feel really cares about the club, i think for all his hot dog bravado he's a real stand-up guy. tiago silva also seems as great an element off the field as on, i'm kind of surprised to see blurbs about him talking about italy; i think he was sneakily trapped, as journalists like to do.

a last note about PSG that i meant to post already, elsewhere: at OL-PSG this saturday (ladies) there were a half-dozen auteuilistes perched on the lion at 351 JJ chanting their hearts out (i love the piaf ones), trading jibes with the locals... after the match i felt bad, but i thought about them and it made me happy in one little corner of my sadness. they can't go to the parc, can't go to coubertin, can't go to charléty, get waylaid by the gendarmérie if they try a dép... they came all the way to lyon to see the ladies play because in spite of all that they still love paris SG. you gotta respect that.

14. NicolasN.

NicolasN. Member

Oct 25, 2007
    France
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    #114 NicolasN., Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
    Your initial message was not not talking about a parisian fiber which is a subjective feeling but PSG not being a french club. I believe we all understand what it suggests and that it aims at the owner of PSG. The kind of comments we were not hearing when it was Colony Capital that took over PSG.

Don't make me laugh with your mercenary thing when you mention players like Rai who signed under Canal + control or Pauleta who used the interest of Lyon to get a higer salary. When PSG wanted to sign Malouda and Essien, it's not because Lyon offered them a bigger salary that they got them ?

15. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  16. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    no, that was unfair. the way you defend your club does you credit! but you really have no idea where i'm coming from. if you don't think that my long post is a better indication of my opinions that the short one, look at the vision of things i've tried to express all over BS, and not just in PSG threads, in the 7 years you and i hae been posting here.

17. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    PSG and Lyon fans dont have to get along but I just hope they support each other in Europe because thats what best for all. I do realize there are people who only care about their club and not the league and thats understandable. Just like most OM fans are hoping PSG gets knocked out of the Champions League and thats understandable as well. When OL was doing so well in the Champions League it was exciting for me, with PSG its not as exciting because there's there's no underdog aspect but Im still supporting them all the way just like I do with OL and all French teams. Btw I am optimistic about OL in the Europa league because its doesnt look like they are losing any key players this winter. As long as Gomis is there I can see him giving a big goal in a big game when needed. Lot of big teams they will eventually have to play but they have to go as far as possible.

guignol and lefutur repped this.
  18. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    A good week for French teams in Europe with both OL and PSG winning easily. That with the nice demolition of Holland by the national team last week the French are going to start getting cocky.

19. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    #119 SportBoy333, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
    Benfica beat Tottenham and Porto beat Napoli though which is bad news because we need the Portuguese teams to go down in order to catch them. Hope Spurs and Napoli can turn the tide in the 2nd leg.

20. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    after getting run around mercilessly for two minutes and giving up a goal i thought it was going to be a long night...

and it was...

but not for us. :D

PUTAIN QUEL PIED!!!!

21. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Quarterfinals

guignol repped this.
  22. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    wild and crazy! lyon had the better of the first half and was lucky to score just at the right moment. after the pause they totally outmatched plzen for the first 15 minutes of the 2nd half and it looked like it was all sewn up.

then the wheels came off. all of them but one: antho lopes. without him we might have been eliminated even without overtime.

23. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Those dang Portugese teams won always beating better teams than them on paper.

24. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  25. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE