French clubs in Europe 2011-2012

Discussion in 'France' started by Tsigalko, Jul 26, 2011.

1. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I'd prefer the cup double and a third place finish myself :D. Even if OM did get into Europe, what makes you think they will take the EL seriously?

1 person likes this.
  2. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    because they always have? god, man, you have to give them that!

3. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    A cup double is a nice accomplishment but to me the league cup is beneath teams like OL and OM and Id rather see the smaller clubs win it since they have little chance of winning much else.

4. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Yes and now that France has fallen below Portugal, I'm sure Mustache will let them know that they'd better take it seriously or else.

5. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Fair point, but it is just OL and OM left now. And I agree for a club like OL just to finish with the league cup isn't anything to write home about, taking both cups makes it worth a real hard fight in the final.

6. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Can a french club wins some european silverware !!!! I don"t care who it is!!

7. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    PSG is your only hope, dude. I mean French teams SHOULD be able to win the Europa League but since they've never done it why would I have faith that they will some day

8. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    no doubt, we are almost there, next session should be great:cool:

9. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    If OM or OL are in the Europa League then they are capable of going to the final but again no French has ever won it so why would I bet on them

10. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    he's already done that!

btw, i got my cups mixed up: it's the coupe de france spot that can go to the losing finalist, not the moustache cup spot which is always plowed back into the standings if the winner has qualified in another way. so OM (almost*) absolutely must win this saturday to qualify for the EL.

for quevilly (unfortunately for our UEFA rating) things will be much easier; besides a victory on 28th, OL finishing 3rd or winning this weekend sends them to europe.

*if OL wins both cups and finishes 4th or 5th, an EL spot goes to 6th place and that remains a (very slim) possibility for OM.

11. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
  12. Tsigalko

Tsigalko Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I don't think the should on behalf of the uefa coefficient, they are a middle of the pack team in NAT, the rankings will never effect them and if the big teams fail to qualify it's on them, OM and Rennes both had a shot at eliminating them. Would be a great adventure for their players too, the only legitimate reason I see to refuse would be financial, I'm guessing a road trip to Kazhakstan could make a pretty big dent in their budget.

13. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I'm not worried right now because I think PSG and Lille can do well in the Champions League and OM and OL can do well in the Europa League and if that happens the coefficient will go back up. I am a little worried because PSG will be in pot 3 which means they will be in a group with 2 other very good teams and I dont know how good Lille will be without Hazard but I wanna be optimistic rather than pessismistic. Montpellier I dont have any hope for so Ill write them off as well as whoever is the other Europa league representitive.

14. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Now that the Champions League final is set I am thinking about it from a French perspective. Certainly Chelsea and Bayren Munich are 2 of the richest clubs in Europe but in terms of wealth and spending power PSG arent far behind them really. I dont see why PSG cant do exceptionally well in the Champions League next year providing they make the right signings/adjustments. Clearly they are the only French team with the capability of making it to the final since the Champions League these days is all about the wealthiest clubs. The days of the Monaco/Porto final are long over. Now you still can have an OL or a Schalke 04 make the semi final but once they get they they have little chance of going any further.

15. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Hey we got 3 big guns in the Europa League. No weak sisters of the poor. No excuses now to keep dropping coeffcient points. The best thing is no Rennes in the Europa League because they kill us every time they are there.

StarrMatthieu, Samora and guignol repped this.