#FreeMidfieldBossTonyTchani

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hangthadj, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We more or less agree that its a good trade for us. Think we just have different expectations. I think Manneh's level will ultimately be just below Castillo. Castillo is a better dribbler and was by far the best player in the league at And1 skill moves that literally left multiple defenders at once on their backsides. Though he was/is a very selfish and individualistic player.

I also agree that robinson is a crap coach, and vancouver just seems to be a dysfunctional mess, from owner to front office to coach to squad. Hopefully, a fresh start with a new team will help Manneh go to the next level. His direct play will give this team a different look for sure.

Btw, condolences @hangthadj about MBTT.

2. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we actually can spend allocation money---strange.
    The details of the trade financially are very beneficial for Vancouver.
    They get portion of any transfer fee if he moves on 2018 and prior.
    They get first round draft pick (big deal) and I believe more money if he stays through next season.

3. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh. We got hansen and abubakar this year, as well as crognale. If we are good and finish, say top 3 in the east, we wont have a great pick anyway. I know its way too early to judge, but only 2 first round picks are getting minutes right now, gressel (atl pick 8) and hansen (pick 9). A top 10 pick is one thing, after that its more miss than hit.

4. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yeah, I know we mostly agree. I'm not being combative, I'm just excited (and I naturally come across as an asshole in most situations. It's my gift).

Thank you for the condolences. Though he is no longer with us, Tony Tchani remains the Midfield Boss of my heart.

5. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    For a big man two things surprised me. How quick is feet were with the ball and how he was crap in the air. Never was going to flourish under RW as he wasn't a clogger. The GGG system was a nice fit for him.

NUFC Fan repped this.
  6. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    This should be in your signature.

7. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it was not Gregg, who brought Manneh in?

8. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    What you talkin' about, Willis? I'm acknowledging Gregg brought him in, and that he's a much better acquisition than our rotating band of wing misfits over the past few years.

9. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah my fault. I just read your other posts. Makes sense now.

10. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    #35 hangthadj, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    I've been very prolific in my praise of Gregg for this trade. So, GET OFF MY ********IN BACK, MAN!!!!

This is still very raw for me. :(

11. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2nd forward, not the #9. If we need a goal late, we can pull a CM & play him up top with Ola or Jahn. Or if Pipa needs rest we can start in a 442. Meram, Finlay, & Manneh can rotate in the wide mf 2nd forward roles.

You dont need size to be an effective forward. Ola isnt that big. Donovan, Villa, etc.

Agree with you on his performance. Caps fans aren't that sad. We traded guys who weren't in the picture this year.

TRUJDUB and SourCream&OnionUtd repped this.
  12. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not any type of forward. He's a winger. You can't play him in a 4-4-2. He hasn't worked there for vancouver. Its not an opinion, its a fact.

13. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    Seems to me @TrueCrew is quite right here, he is more of an inverted winger/inside forward type, as opposed to a chalk-on-the-boots Finlay-type of winger that stretches the field, though it looks like Manneh can certainly be used that way with his pace and dribbling. But again, I think the ways in which TrueCrew have outlined his expectation for Manneh to be used are essentially dead on.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  14. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll guess the reason Tony wasn't making the 18 because this trade, and/or other trades, have been in the works for a while

15. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    FWIW, Brian Dunseth said as much on SiriusXM FC last night. Specifically referring to this trade, as opposed to Tchani being sent elsewhere.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  16. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Good bye Finley! Manneh will replace him fairly soon. Yesss!

17. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    So we traded Tchani who made around 300k and gave them 300k of allocation cash making his salary essentially "free". Man this thread title was spot on.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  18. svc641

svc641 Member+

Aug 19, 2014
    West Liberty
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe we didn't bring in misfits. Maybe GGG's gift is to turn players into misfits. I find it hard to believe all those players sucked from the get go.

hangthadj repped this.
  19. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will be okay man. You will get through it. You are strong. I hope you and he are right!

20. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    How do you think Tchani will do for the Whitecaps?

21. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Id love to see him grow his game more and progress there but i just dont think itll happen there with Robinson. I wish him well though and hopefully hes servicable for them.

22. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if the whole Pipa/Kei thing played a role in Tchani's departure? I know it can't be the reason for every transaction we make. However, the locker room was divided & a lot of the guys who could have sided with Kei (cultural or religious proximity) are gone despite the fact they are pretty good players (Tchani, Saeid, Cedrick, even Ashe).

Anyway, I wish Tony good times ahead.

23. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Is there any doubt that this is what was gonna happen. Bringing on the Midfield Boss against end of his career, salary stealing, aging huckster Jermaine Jones....you knew that Tchani would lead the Caps to Victory.

Vancouver, unbeaten in the Midfield Boss era.

TRUJDUB, kgilbert78 and Crewster repped this.
  25. TheSkyIsTheLimit

TheSkyIsTheLimit New Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Apr 17, 2017
    Tony Tchani is a great player i am a fan of his but too bad the crew went and replaced him! I also would like to see another talented player on the field for the crew that i have no idea why he wouldn't be on the field will he be getting replaced like tony tchani??
    or did the crew start with there old ways again when he started with his career at the club! hope he has the right people to protect him! just saying its bad to lose a talented player like him an American born!!!