#FreeMidfieldBossTonyTchani

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hangthadj, Mar 14, 2017.

1. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Abu? Artur? Conor Maloney? Hector Jimenez.

LOLOLOLOL.

#Resist

TRUJDUB and ZipSix repped this.
  2. svc641

svc641 Member+

Aug 19, 2014
    West Liberty
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By free him do you mean for Berhalter cut to the chase and trade him for a player and then let said player leave the club without any compensation?

crew2112, the_rickler and hangthadj repped this.
  3. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    Slick Rick says,

"La Di Da Di, we want the Tchani,
    Midfield Boss causes trouble and takes crap from nobody."

hangthadj, TRUJDUB, ZipSix and 1 other person repped this.
  4. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the_rickler repped this.
  5. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is liberated to get the fook out of here.

the_rickler repped this.
  6. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    Incredible move. Really thought we'd get nothing at all for Tchani. Wow.

Tobias C repped this.
  7. coachchris

coachchris Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Galloway, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm happy with this. Best of luck, Tony! Even better luck, Manneh!

8. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, we traded a true midfielder for yet another attacking player.

9. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Tony. Really good guy.
    But a bench player for an extremely fast exciting attacker. Well played.

porchlight and Tobias C repped this.
  10. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    So...... We traded Tchani for Manneh, Money and more Money!!!

11. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  12. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Where is Manneh a citizen of? Will we have to move someone or trade for an international slot?

13. odave

odave Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Manneh was naturalized in January - US Citizen.

POdinCowtown repped this.
  14. svc641

svc641 Member+

Aug 19, 2014
    West Liberty
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well if nothing was your frame of reference then anything would have been great.

15. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good move. Tony wasn't making the 18. Wish him well. Still, when your attacking options off the bench are Hansen (1 MLS game) & Adam Jahn, we could use a legit forward option. 442 is now in 3Gs quiver. As is 352 with two legit forwards. Ola has some cover & Manneh could even play wide.

NUFC Fan and Tobias C repped this.
  16. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see a lot of people thinking he's a striker, he's not. I know GB said that, and thats what he's being reported as, but he's essentially an inside out left winger. Dude is 5'9'' 140 lbs. He could play as a wide forward in a 4-3-3, but he's not a #9. He has zero back to goal skills. He's a Nagbe clone, not as good on the ball, but a better finisher and scoring instincts for sure.

17. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    And four years younger. People think Nagbe is young. Dude is 26. Manneh is 22. He's 22 years old with over 3 years experience in the league.

At his best, he's one of the most dynamic players in the league. His floor is infinitely higher than Cedrick or any of the other clowns that Berhalter brought in. This dude has been and is a proven difference maker in MLS.

Vancouver was a top of the league team in 2014 and 2015. Challenging for Supporters Shield. A big reason was Nagbe. You don't look at his stats and drop your jaw, but watching the kid when he's on his game is special. Opposing teams game planned around him.

I know Kyle thinks I'm overselling this, but I'm beyond stunned Gregg pulled this off. I think most the league is as well. Goddamnit, this is tough enough seeing Tchani go. Let me have some joy.

18. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its a good deal, I'll take it. But there is a reason he was benched for alphonso davies. There is a reason he wss bench for marcel freaking de jong. There is a reason he was bench for brek shea. He was literally 4th on the depth chart at left wing, his best and preferred position.

Hopefully GB can get him motivated. I hope he can. I hope he can improve his vision, become more of a heads up player. He's got 22 goals in 4 years. 12 assists as an attacking midfielder in 4 years.

Again, i like the deal, I'm just not ready to go crazy and say he's an mls first 11 player.

19. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Hats off to Tony..great guy with character..good move for him..proved a lot of people wrong.

His replacement...unless he can move to winger..not a great fit in a one striker system that crosses lots of balls in the air

20. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good thing he's a left winger then....

21. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Robbiegoal repped this.
  22. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    A reminder that the Columbus Crew when Tony Tchani joined the team in 2011--and it took a while to get better. He managed to up his stock in the meantime and eventually play a key role in a MLS late season run.

23. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    I'll be pedantic, too, because what you've stated isn't exactly true. Your anything might have meant a move where we still have to pick up part of, if not most of, Tchani's salary and get nothing in return.

We did that to Montreal with McInerney, ATL just did it to Orlando with Rochez, and on MLSsoccer.com one of their columnists floated this very idea this week, that we may have to eat some of Tchani's deal in order to get him off of our books and get nothing for him.

So to package him with mostly TAM, which is use-it-or-lose-it and not as versatile as GAM, and a bit of GAM is a stunningly good move. We could even stand to part with the pick next year if Manneh works out because we effectively added three first rounders this year when you throw in Crognale.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  24. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    #25 hangthadj, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    There are a few reasons why he wasn't first choice this year. Two of those reasons are that he was coming back from injury and not 100% fit, and frankly Carl Robinson isn't a very good coach and doesn't know what he's doing (especially with attacking talent).

*He also did start and score a goal against Red Bulls in CCL play this year.

Going back to 2014 there hasn't been a Whitecaps player who has scored more than 10 goals in a season. That's a bit of an issue. That's a team wide and system issue. Still, within that system Manneh has 22 goals (while missing half of last season).

He turned 22 on December 30th. How many Columbus Crew players have scored 22 goals in a Crew uniform before their 22nd birthday? How many MLS players total have scored 22 before their 22nd birthday (shoutout to Eddie Gaven!)?

Is he a finished product? Absolutely not. But, he is absolutely the type of player that I've been pining for this team to get. Is Fabian Castillo a better player? Sure, I'll concede that. Fabian had 20 goals and 4 assists in the league at age 22.

Manneh should and can get better. This guy has a world of talent. If Gregg is the coach that many believe him to be, this trade is even WAY better than I've been selling it as.