Freedom Supporters Club: The Next Generation

Discussion in 'Washington Freedom' started by StarCityFan, Sep 4, 2008.

1. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    KJ? Oh, Kati Jo Spiesak.

There should be another song ....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eswzfXR0ydE&feature=related"]YouTube - GSE BUBBLES[/ame]

Maaary Abigaaail Wambach!
    Pretty Abby in the air!
    She flies so high
    Nearly reaches the sky
    If she doesn't score
    I'll surely die
    Freedom's always scoring
    They'll win the Cup!
    Maaary Abigaaail Wambach!
    Pretty Abby in the air!

2. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks to TOTC for leading the during-game auditory support. I bet we're the only supporters' club with bagpipes!

3. Charbs21

Charbs21 New Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Northern Hemisphere
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I looked for the Freedom Fighters table before the game because I had a couple of people who wanted to join, but I couldn't find the table. Did you guys have one set up? I thought I remembered somewhere saying a table was going to be set up.

4. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    We were under the soccer ball but there were more people interested in the Easter Bunny and the emo band.

5. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We arrived a little late and had to figure out where they wanted us, so it was close to 5 before we had our table up and running. But we were there, and I expect we'll be there (though I hope closer to foot traffic in future) at the remaining home games.

We didn't get a lot of business, but then I figure that most of the people interested in joining us were inside at the reception for season ticket holders.

6. Charbs21

Charbs21 New Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Northern Hemisphere
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been to both the two home games and I really think we need to make the Freedom Fighters prescence known. I know this is hard because half of the members have season tickets so they have assigned seats (myself included - I actually sit next to a bunch of them). I think the crowd has done a good job of cheering for the most part - I know we have started a bunch of chants on our side of the field, but they don't last long. I think we definitly need some chants or something (being on both sides of the pitch might be good in this situation to make the chants surround sound). I also think we need to have a banner or some flags - something to wave - even if it is the Washington DC flag. We need to get more members and really the only way to do it is make our prescence known. Even if it is only singing Ole Ole along to TOTC. I am not trying to criticize and I am not exactly the creative type, but I just want to support my team especially now since we still don't have a win. We have two weeks to figure stuff out before the next home game when Mia and Siri come back. Seems like a great time to officially launch the Freedom Fighters!

TOTC - I missed the bagpipes on Saturday

7. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The flag idea is nice. I've actually got one left over from the WUSA days - I'll have to dig it out.

Unfortunately, there were only about three of us in the supporters section this time, and none of us had bagpipes. So it was really hard for us to make much noise.

8. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    SCF - As we discussed, feel free to detach the DC (and US if you wish) flag(s) from the 'sheet'. I got all those flags to try to create some visual presence for us - you should try to come up with ideas for visual displays as well. With small numbers, it's easier to look loud than sound loud.

As for having people join the Freedom Fighters but not stand with you, it was the same deal with the Crusaders. We got a pretty fair number of paid memberships, but very few people in 139. Questions based on Charbs comments - Can anyone buy a season ticket for where the FFs stand, and if someone already has a season ticket for elsewhere can they join the FF section on game day if they so choose?

For those trying to start chants elsewhere - while the effort is noble, it's really necessary at this point for everyone who wants to do this to be together to mass their fire. That could change if the numbers become a lot bigger.

It comes down to what you want out of attending a game - Have a better view or be part of the atmosphere. For me, if I wanted a better view of the match I'd stay at home and watch it on TV. Like going to a concert, being a part of the energy that comes with being with other enthusiastic fans is what makes it worthwhile for me.

Recruit one at a time and don't give up. If it helps, last night I chatted online with a past Crusader who is still in the area and pointed her towards the FFs.
    Good luck.

9. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes and yes. I've had people with reserved seats (on the west side) decide they've had enough of that and joined us on the east side (in the supporters section) for the second half.

10. Charbs21

Charbs21 New Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Northern Hemisphere
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Could SOMEONE hire this group for a Freedom match???

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mDfJE81qX4&feature=related"]YouTube - Batala Washington -- FREAKING AWESOME!!![/ame]

13. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh Lord yes. They've been at least twice to Lot 8 for United games, one of those times coming onto the field at half-time (or maybe it was pre-game--don't remember which).

They'll be back at RFK for DC United on Saturday, September 12th, for both pre-game and half-time performances at the Seattle match. You can catch them pre-game in lot 8 and then, of course, inside for half-time.

Time for Freedom to do the same.

They are tremendous and, for a sport that shows young girls what women can accomplish, that they are all women is a plus.

Here's their web site.

and here's another look:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_Sw59gGnM0"]YouTube - 2008 Batala Washington Zumbatala #2[/ame]

14. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Batala Washington came last night.

They were off the hook!

15. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One last viewing party, this Saturday at 4 pm at Kitty O'Shea's to watch the inaugural WPS championship match. If you can't watch it at home, come down and join us.

16. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks StarCity for posting one more comment to this thread so I could see the Batala Washington clip on YouTube! I missed it when it was originally put up. Excellent!

17. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Batala Washington is off da heazy.

Fo sheazy.

18. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Freedom Fighters are having their first 2010 get-together at Rhino's in Georgetown next Monday (February 1), starting at 6:30 pm. General manager Mark Washo or a designate will be there to talk about the state of the club and plans for 2010, as well as supporters group liaison Jaclyn Benjamin.

The latest Freedom Fighters newsletter is available in electronic form at:

http://www.freedomfighters-sc.com/newsletters/2010-01.pdf

(Future issues will likely not be made generally available - this is just to show you what you'll be missing!)

19. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My schedule has changed, making it very hard for me to get to this meeting, so I've decided to postpone it, probably until after training camp opens and it should be easier to get a player or two to join us.

20. Braveheart_Jim

Braveheart_Jim New Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Hey Kevin - just caught that. Thanks for the Bravehearts shout-out! I'm about to post...

21. Braveheart_Jim

Braveheart_Jim New Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Freedom Fans:

I am Braveheart Jim. And I see a whole army of my people here in defiance of tyranny…

The Washington Freedom’s 2010 Season home opener is coming up on Saturday, April 10 at 7pm at the Maryland Soccerplex, and it’d be great if you came out and lent us your support and your voices! The WASHINGTON BRAVEHEARTS are an all-standing, all-singing section that makes noise for the whole 90 minutes of the match. Our website is here, pretty bare bones for the moment but improving regularly…

http://www.washingtonbravehearts.com/

We’ve got drums, flags, and even a bagpiper. Part of the shtick is that I’ll give the William Wallace “Freedom!” speech before the start of every game.

Why are you guys doing this?

Basically, my co-founder Braveheart Jared and I went to a few games at the Soccerplex last year and, having spent years among the Screaming Eagles and Barra Brava at DC United games, were pretty disappointed with the level of noise generated by the Freedom’s fanbase. We also noticed that when the crowd did cheer, the crowd tended to cheer for both teams almost equally, since there were US soccer stars on various other teams around the league. Obviously these people had no concept of club vs. country, and had never experienced the abuse that US star Landon Donovan gets at RFK when he arrives with the LA Galaxy for DC United games.

We decided that this weak showing had to stop. Soccer games need noise, and we were determined to bring it. We founded the Washington Bravehearts.

http://www.washingtonbravehearts.com/

The players and the team’s front office have been very supportive, and have even decided to give us a dedicated section of the stadium, Section 111. (Which you can see on this map of the stadium layout: http://www.washingtonbravehearts.com/freedomtickets/) We may be way down in the corner, but we’re basically right on the field.

Why should *I* be joining you?

First of all, it’s a lot of fun. Second of all, it’s a great opportunity to get in on the ground floor of fan support for a team (and a league) that’s really just starting out, and committed to providing a positive experience for fans who pay their hard-earned money to buy tickets. These aren’t athletes who make millions of dollars and are inaccessible to the average fan. For instance, all the players stick around after all the games to sign autographs (though if you want them you may have to fight being muscled aside from hordes of 9-year old girls in soccer cleats). Third, did I mention it’s fun? The songs that the Screaming Eagles and Barra Brava sing are frankly getting a little old, and we’ve taken it upon ourselves to mix it up and introduce some new ones. And fourth: yes, you can laugh at Jim, all you want.

All right, I’m convinced. I want to join up and go to the game(s). So what to do?

Step 1: Head over to the JOIN page of our website and sign up for membership for the 2010 season. It’s only $10, which gets you a t-shirt (which we *hope* to have ready for the April 10 home opener, but might not) and an ID card which will allow you to purchase tix in Section 111 and get you into all sorts of cool stuff we cook up for you over the course of the season.

http://www.washingtonbravehearts.com/join/

You can also become a FAN on Facebook here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Washington-Bravehearts/127014336506

Step 2: Call directly to our special ticket representative, Jaclyn Benjamin, at 240-449-1620, or email her at Jaclyn.Benjamin@washingtonfreedom.com. Make sure to tell her you are a member of the Washington Bravehearts!

http://www.washingtonbravehearts.com/freedomtickets/

Step 3: Come to the game Saturday at the Maryland SoccerPlex! We’ll see you in Section 111! If you’ve got a drum or other musical instrument, bring it! We’ll have song sheets so you can learn the songs as you go, but the important thing is to keep making noise!

Info about the stadium: http://www.womensprosoccer.com/dc/stadium/stadium-info
    Directions here: http://www.mdsoccerplex.org/soccerplex/Directions/index_E.html

(If you need a ride, let me know and I’ll see if I can work something out…)

22. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the benefit of those in the area, rumor is that the Brazilian drummers will be at the home opener on Saturday.

23. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh great! Glad to see them coming out to support Fabiana!

:D

24. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Batala! Fcuk yeah!

[​IMG]

These women rock my socks.

25. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if it's Magic Jack FC, what's a good name for the supporters' group? :rolleyes: