Freedom Supporters Club: The Next Generation

Discussion in 'Washington Freedom' started by StarCityFan, Sep 4, 2008.

1. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's time to start talking about putting together a Washington Freedom Supporters group again, as we had in the WUSA days (we certainly can't let Boston or Chicago get too far ahead of us!). If you're interested, let me know here on this thread, via PM, or via email at kevin(dot)parker(at)wap(dot)org. Hope to hear from you!

2. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent! Glad to hear there are more ISA organizers out there!! I'm hoping that we can get Supporters Groups going for every team in 2009.

It would be great if we can create our own version of the "Supporters Shield" that MLS' SG's created...I'm sure we can make it happen!

Good Luck!:D

3. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Oh, I'd love to be in it - I still have the scarf hanging on my wall. Except I'm not in D.C. anymore. Does that matter too much?

4. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll make you a virtual member. Probably most of our communicative activities will be online, anyhow - I don't see the point of having a printed newsletter in this day and age.

5. tarheelfan490

tarheelfan490 New Member

Nov 12, 2004
    arlington, va
    count me in. it's just too bad the field is so far out of the city

6. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    I talked to a Freedom staffer (wo)manning a booth at a recent DC United contest.

Here's what she said that would apply to A Rebirth Of The Crusaders:

1) The Soccerplex is expanding a bit to add more seating.
    2) Part of that seating is behind one of the goals (not sure which one, but I'd guess it's at the open end of the park)
    3) A standing, chanting, cheering, singing supporter's section will be encouraged in that area
    4) Said cheering would have to be "creative" and not devolve into four-letter words (there will be kids there)

Oh, yeah, --- I think I'll bring the bagpipes.

7. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I told the Freedom's communications director that we needed a supporters' section, and he was keen on that. I didn't specify location, but I'd vote for behind the goal at the end of the stadium away from the parking.

8. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Has there been any discussion yet of whether there will be games at RFK? Even though I'm out of town I still stand with those who don't have cars...

9. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There will be ten home games total, seven at the Soccerplex and three at RFK.

10. Washington Freedom

Washington Freedom New Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Boyds, Md.
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    I will clarify and let you know there will be seating behind both goals.

11. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but I think you'd want us riff-raff behind the far (north) goal lest we frighten off the customers when they've scarcely entered the stadium. ;)

12. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've set up our initial meeting at Gordon Biersch, 900 F St., NW, Washington, DC for Tuesday, September 30 at 7 p.m. If you're interested, please RSVP to me at StarCityFan<at>comcast<dot>net.

13. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Count me in!

14. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a bump to note our kickoff meeting in three days (see two posts above). And if you're interested but can't make it, please let me know your email address via PM or my email address above, and I'll add you to the contact list.

15. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look for us at Thursday evening's tailgate party with Abby Wambach!

16. fatneko

fatneko New Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Hampton Roads, VA
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    have fun at the tailgate & game. hope they win, they NEED a win.

give our regards to abby!! i wanna see pictures!

17. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've got a blog over at WPS now - I'll add an entry (with photos) after the event.

And anyone coming to the tailgate, stop by and say hi - we'll have a table there and will be selling memberships.

18. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Good turnout -- a number of the Freedom draftees were in attendance, but there was a very tall woman who I thought might have been brought in as a target player for Mary Abigail Wambach.

Turns out she's a beach volleyball player -- no, not Kerri or Misty, but Nicole Branagh, part of the U.S.'s second team at Beijing (she partnered with Elaine Youngs). We talked about the transition from court to beach, the professionalism of the AVP Tour to get all of that equipment (and sand) from place to place, and the hope that the NCAA would have sand volleyball as a sport, since many places around the world have their volleyball players start on the sand. Most American players start on the court, then move to the beach.

Anyhoo, looking forward to '09! Vamos la Freedom!

19. StarDust

StarDust Member

Oct 30, 2004
    Club:
    FCR 2001 Duisburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I just saw some pictures of the tailgate at isiphotos and I must say that Abby looks good with short hair.

20. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's impressive when someone can make Abby look short!

The Freedom players I saw were Lori Lindsey, Emily Janss, and Becky Sauerbrunn, in addition to Abby.

21. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I have indisputable visual evidence!

22. Washington Freedom

Washington Freedom New Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Boyds, Md.
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Those were the only Freedom players there - Sarah Huffman is playing in Norway and Cat Whitehill couldn't attend.

23. fatneko

fatneko New Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Hampton Roads, VA
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I met John & helped hand out some flyers last night at the game. Most people seemed pretty interested in the WPS....before ussoccer told us we had to stay right beside our table (wash freedom).

One lady told me she knows & she rooting for NJ. haha.

24. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for helping out. I had a friend updating me on the game via cellphone - sounded pretty good.

25. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Even though I'm no longer in the area, I should probably chime into the conversation here. For those who don't know, I am the founder of The Crusaders, the original independent supporters club for the Freedom.

First, I should say that if there was anyone who should logically take the mantle from me, it would be Kev/StarCityFan; so you've got a good guy to follow into Phase II.

As for the chants - I think we were pretty much in the right spirit the first time around; We happily razzed the opposition (especially the more 'prominent' players), but were never what I would call crude. I assume the current effort would be similar.

Any idea if the club will remain 'The Crusaders' or will a new identity spring up? I left Kev a ton of Crusaders stuff when I moved away, so you've got some stuff to start with should you keep the identity. I'll get in touch with you about that Kev, I may still have some things here in CO that may be useful also.

Not sure how much I can help out from Colorado (or what team I'll even support in WPS, there's no one within 900 miles of here - I need to talk to potential investors about this nice facility called Dick's Sporting Goods Park we have outside of Denver). Maybe I can contribute to a fanzine if 'By the Sword' is ressurrected or another one is created. I'm happy to answer any questions from our 2001-03 experience.

Good luck! - Ron K