Freedom FC to the MASL - Expansion Rumor

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by Scooge, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    "The Freedom has been invited to move up to the Major Arena Soccer League and full professional status."

http://www.vaildaily.com/news/sports/freedom-fc-fighting-for-league-lead-saturday-in-edwards/

Founded in 2009 and based in Edwards, CO, Freedom FC are an Amateur/Semi-pro Arena Soccer Team that currently competes in the Rocky Mountain Division of the PASL-Premier. There home arena is the WECMRD Fieldhouse, a steel-framed rec center. No word if they will remain playing here if they move up to the MASL.

WECMRD Fieldhouse.jpg

2. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    This is interesting and can be viewed as either as 'glass half-full' or 'glass half-empty'.

Half Full - The quote "The Freedom has been invited to move up to the Major Arena Soccer League and full professional status" seems to indicate that someone in MASL is out looking for good existing amateur teams to join MASL

Half Empty - The quote "The Freedom has been invited to move up to the Major Arena Soccer League and full professional status" seems to indicate by it's wording that this 'invitation' is to some sort exclusive pass to joint MASL.

Half Full - The photo shows that the team has built an impressive place to watch indoor for an amateur team, hopefully they can find a facility to play in or add some seats to allow the fan numbers they will need.

Half Empty - The photo shows that the team is crazy if they think they can play in the above facility and will need to move to a real venue.

Half Full - If you click on the link you can see this quote. "All of the Freedom players are local and almost half have played at the collegiate level. " (seems like a good way to have a community spirt)

Half Empty - If you click on the link you can see this quote. "This is their first season back after a two-year hiatus." (seems like an average indoor team already)

I will defer my judgement because I've never heard of them but wish the Freedom full success.

3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One would hope not.

And how, exactly, does Edwards, Colorado (110 miles west of Denver, out past Vail) make the MASL better?

4. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    I think what we're really talking about here is MASL2.

CometsFan, SteveCo and powerplay13 repped this.
  5. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Makes perfect sense NSL. But then is MASL2 fully professional? "The Freedom has been invited to move up to the Major Arena Soccer League and full professional status."

(to be honest, is MASL even 'full professional status'?)

SteveCo and cardshopmd repped this.
  6. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly No , it's not even close to a full professional status. If the Freedom FC do in fact join the "Professional" league and play in that rec reaction center it just says the league is going in reverse and not forward. Baja & Turlock are complete embarrassments to the MASL I dont really care how good Baja is if you cant play in a real arena then go to the MASL 2 , Let Kevin Milliken run it like he ran the PASL

Joey Tee, powerplay13 and SteveCo repped this.
  7. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Card - I know where you are coming from. I really do. Seeing the Wave, the Blast, the Sidekicks, the........anyone. ANYONE in that arena is a sad come down from the halcyon days.

That being said......let's give them a chance. Let's give MASL a chance. To my knowledge, this is the first "expansion" team.

8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They'd better enjoy that status until all those AHL team owners jump in.

Kit and SteveCo repped this.
  9. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [
    I can understand giving them a chance but if they are going to play in a rec reaction center then absolutely not. What happened to teams being required to play in a minimum of a 2,000 fixed seat arena ? If they play in a rec center the MASL is going backwards not forward.

As for Expansion the Monterey Flash will be back Toronto & More than likely Rochester.

10. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    #10 the shelts, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    Toronto........

Kind of like a North Korean attack. It is always "coming". I have heard Toronto for 3 years.

Air Canada Centre- too expensive
    Ricoh Coliseum- good location high cost
    Hershey Centre- out in Missasauga, 2 junior hockey teams have folded and an echl is 3rd to last in attendance. If you can't make hockey work in Toronto, then nothing will work
    Copps- this is actually in Hamilton.

I want a Toronto team but like a lot of cities, if it is minor league it might not work, simply because Toronto is a not a minor league town.

I would be willing to *safely* bet my entire 401k that more people in Edwards Colorado have heard of Toronto, than the number of people in Toronto who have heard of Edwards Colorado.

Wikipedia puts Toronto metro population at 5.9 million people, that would be the 5th or 6th largest city in USA

SteveCo repped this.
  11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've been telling us about Toronto for 16+ years. :)

SteveCo repped this.
  12. Sting111

Sting111 Member+

Jan 17, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The Ricoh Coliseum would be a great location if they would be able to keep costs reasonable. Right next to BMO Field so already a part of town with a soccer connection. Drove past the stadium on a trip to Toronto last week and was really impressed with the vintage look of the stadium. As everyone has already pointed out, it's very hard to compete against hockey and curling in Canada. Had dinner in a downtown Toronto bar and the TVs all had the great curling derby Ontario versus Northern Ontario. Didn't stay long enough to see who won.

13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're just leaving out one fairly important fact: this sport isn't particularly popular.

You can put a team in a "great location" in a "cost-effective" arena and even in a "soccer market," but this sport still can't draw well. And no renaissance is on the horizon.

dcunitedTV, SteveCo and Joey Tee repped this.
  14. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Ricoh used to be part of the Canadian National Exposition (like a state fair, but bigger) we went there for the Marlies AHL team and stayed at the Hyatt.

At the time we all said 'this is great'. It has worked for AHL.

Kenn- yes I have been saying Toronto for a long time. I think I talked about the Toronto thunder hawks and the Toronto Shooting Stars over the years. And Hamilton, which may (according to a geography prof) be a part of Toronto or may not (according to a Torontonian) be apart of the metro area.

.,,,,,,,and kick a555. What a fun city. Seriously. Toronto was a great time the times I visited. 99s bar across from the hotel, Mrs. Shelts loved the theatre, the shopping, I loved the hockey hall of fame, the mlb team, the cfl team, the everything.

It is a great weekend

SteveCo repped this.
  15. dcunitedTV

dcunitedTV Member

Sep 30, 2007
    USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody talking about Bakersfield yet?

16. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Do tell, I haven't heard of a Bakersfield team

17. dcunitedTV

dcunitedTV Member

Sep 30, 2007
    USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG] I was told by a couple of different parties that Bernie had ties to a new Bakersfield team. Wasn't clear as to if it was MASL or MASL2. The thought was that they might be playing in the AHL arena if any of this is true.

18. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    #18 the shelts, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    I would doubt that a MASL 2 team would be allowed into that place without a ticket or a job offer to sell popcorn.

http://www.rabobankarena.com/

That's a real arena, with real costs. An indoor team will be looking at anywhere from $6-18K per night just to get the place and that is needed up front. IIRC, I think there is a little smaller space in the arena or near it that might be more appropriate.

The guy (Daryl Katz) that owns the Bakersfield Condors also just sold the Rexall Drug store chain this month and owns the Edmonton Oilers. If MASL were to attract a guy like that it would be a win.

IF................

19. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See, THERE'S AN AHL OWNER, YOU GUYS, IT'S TOTALLY LIKE ED SAID derp derp derp.

20. Venerable

Venerable Member

Jun 26, 2016
    dcunitedTV
    Who is Bernie?

21. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    I'm assuming dcunitedTV means Bernie Lilavois, Head Coach and a Managing Partner for the Ontario Fury.
    Bernie Lilavois.jpg

dcunitedTV repped this.
  22. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    Per Syd's (NSL2004) reply higher above, Freedom FC appears to be a possible MASL2 team.

Another possible MASL2 team is the resurrected Houston Hotshots (http://www.houstonhotshots.net/). Their own website calls themselves a "MASL2 2017 Applicant". Might be time to break out my old Hotshots jersey.

powerplay13 repped this.
  23. dcunitedTV

dcunitedTV Member

Sep 30, 2007
    USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes Bernie Lilavois

24. dcunitedTV

dcunitedTV Member

Sep 30, 2007
    USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did not reference any AHL owner or anyone from the AHL just to be clear! HA HA

25. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    That would be correct, despite Ed Hale indicating legions of current AHL owners were just clamouring to get into IPL, none did.

Nobody is expecting any on these boards

SteveCo repped this.