Free Play Sessions

Discussion in 'Coach' started by rustysurf83, Oct 13, 2017.

1. rustysurf83

rustysurf83 Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Does anyone have any experience setting up free play sessions for kids? I’m thinking something like a bunch of small sided fields set up every Friday evening, no coaching, possibly no parents on the sidelines. I did a quick search and didn’t see too much on the topic other than the fact that most think that it is a valuable excursion for kids. Just wondering about the logistics, liability, etc.

Thanks

2. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    liability is going to be your biggest issue. if you're organizing, it will be your fault when something bad happens. you need to plan accordingly. i bet you will quickly find out why "informal" "free play" sessions haven't been started already.

3. rustysurf83

rustysurf83 Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I’ve got that response from a couple people, but don’t necessarily buy it. There’s always going to be some level of risk/liability involved, but we already do plenty of free training clinics for kids regardless of club affiliation. I think the reason they haven’t been started yet is because a lot of coaches aren’t willing to relinquish complete control and that parents don’t comprehend the fact that “Development” can take place without rigid drills and structured session plans. Honestly, I foresee a paradigm shift for the adults as the largest barrier.

4. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What age groups will you have playing? You mix old with young they will get the most out of it. Just go to any ethnic area where they just play all day. That is where the little guys learn the most from watching the older guys do things. Where they all play with smiles on their faces.

5. rustysurf83

rustysurf83 Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I’m thinking U8-U13. Maybe mix U8-U10 together and U11-U13? Play boy and girls together.

6. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    i think under 8 to under 13 or older together is fine. Just got to tell the older ones it just for fun so let’s not hurt anyone and don’t keep score.