Fredy Montero to Sporting CP

Discussion in 'Seattle Sounders FC' started by ---Z---, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Sounderzrule

Sounderzrule Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    we sure could have used him in Seattle these last couple months.

2. gblfxt

gblfxt Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not really, as a forward, he would have starved like our current option, as a mid, he would have had the same thug issue as rosales deals with.

3. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
  4. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  5. Kappa74

Kappa74 Member+

Feb 2, 2010
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    If what you say about the leagues in Portugal, Colombia, and the US are true, then your last sentence doesn't logically follow. Montero was one of the top assist/goal scorers during his tenure in MLS. I recognize that not everyone is able to come to terms with this statement, but that doesn't make it any less true. Of course, there is also the possibility that this young man has improved his game, and that he really is this good.

Unak78 repped this.
  6. guelch27

guelch27 Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Bremerton
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it also helps that he is playing with a better supporting cast. You could always tell that he was getting frustrated with a good portion of the players he was working with. Now that he is playing with better players he seems to be a lot happier about playing, and obviously his production is better.

Unak78 repped this.
  7. Kappa74

Kappa74 Member+

Feb 2, 2010
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    This is likely the case. I've really only watched highlights, which to be fair, doesn't properly show the league's quality. That said, outside of Porto & Benfica, Montero has been facing some pretty dire defenses. In MLS, the quality is more evenly distributed.

8. JoeCelt

JoeCelt Member+

Jul 7, 2012
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
  9. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    #61 Unak78, Jan 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
    Rumor out of Europe has it that Sporting is looking to complete the transfer but Hanauer is tamping down such talk for now. Speculation abounds about why they might be trying to do this now from a possibility that the Sounders could sell him from under them in the summer to speculation that Sporting themselves have buyers lined up and are willing to pay off the escalators on their option to buy. The rumors also state that his contract will have a 60 million Euro buyout clause.

http://www.sounderatheart.com/sound...fredy-montero-transfer-rumor-sporting-lisbon#

And an article comparing the seasons of Fredy and Jackson Martinez. Both might compete for the golden boot.
    http://www.elespectador.com/deportes/futbolinternacional/fredy-montero-y-jackson-martinez-goleadores-colombianos-articulo-464659

Kappa74 repped this.
  10. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
  11. Hulk

Hulk Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Exciting times for Montero. Let's see if he can make it the WC squad.

Unak78 repped this.
  12. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    They just got even more exciting with Radamel Falcao ruled out by injury for the WC. It's seemed for awhile that Fredy would need an injury to get a chance to move into the team. Sad that it's to such a great player but no doubt Fredy is secretly having mixed feelings of happiness with this news.

13. guelch27

guelch27 Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Bremerton
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's what Hulk was referring to Unak. I hope he gets a shot.

14. MoosefesteR

MoosefesteR Member

Oct 16, 2012
    Seattle
    I'll just leave this here...

15. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #67 edwardgr, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
    Transfer completed per Sporting (via unconfirmed MLS site article, and then later confirmed after the original linking.)

16. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And for the bottom basement price of about $4 million. Rumors are that the reason why Sporting is buying him now is that they plan on flipping him for way more than that price.

17. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    he is the top scorer in their league. No way he wasn't going to be purchased. Did Seattle lose money on him? Dep Cali made more than 4 million selling him I believe.

o.... and Go Seahawks....

18. Seaball

Seaball Member+

Oct 12, 2008
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Sounds like the Sounders are going to break even on Montero or thereabouts. I know hindsight and all that, but this was an exceptionally bad piece of business for the Sounders.

Unak78 repped this.
  19. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess all that is left then is the definition of break-even :)

20. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    #72 Unak78, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
    They must have had a set buyout price. I thought that there were some supposed escalators that were performance-based but I guess not. My guess is that Seattle and Sporting never thought that he would do as well in Portugal as he did and that was the price that they settled on. No wonder they weren't in line for allocation.

Sporting just got an incredible bargain. Oh and he's signed on with a 60 million Euro buyout clause.

E2A: the above article is still quoting the earlier rumors which had the price closer to 10 million Euros, but everyone in the comments is saying that this isn't true. Then again MLS clubs rarely release exact figures right away so who knows...

At any rate this is a good thing for the league at MLS' stage of growth. If you want young talents to want to come here, you cannot give them the impression that you will not work with them to advance their careers when the time comes. Look at how mutually amicable the two sides parted. Seattle will get a good reputation from young South American players from this. Especially if Fredy makes the final 23 going to Brazil with Columbia.

[​IMG]

21. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read it was a $13.8M buyout (of which Sounders would get 2/3). I've also read conflicting reports to that.

22. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    How does it work with the single entity format, I mean does the MLS get a cut? If that's the case and the price of sale was only $4 million, then that's a horrible deal for Seattle.
    $13.8M sounds more like it. In the future he'll be sold for a lot more than that.

23. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Apparently what it is is that they're quoting Hanauer as supposedly saying that they'd probably break even. That's where the 4 million dollar rumor come from. It's a pretty big disparity, but who knows. MLS usually understates financials.