Freddy's chances just jumped from tiny to decent

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by pokemoncards, Feb 1, 2006.

1. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    From Diceson (who deserves lots of rep)

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showt...#post73985 39

Peter Nowak

“From this starting point I’m very happy (with what I saw) out there. They worked very hard in the off-season. We have five guys attending the National Team camp, so they are very fit. I talked to them at the combine, and I’ve been on the phone with the National Team coach, Bruce Arena, and he’s very happy with them. Freddy made a lot of progress, and was very good at camp. He’s going to stay with us because we felt, together with Coach Arena, that he needs to be with us during the pre-season to make sure that we square all the angles before the season starts.”

“As I said, Freddy and I had a very good conversation in the off-season. We met, we talked a lot, and we’re on the same page.”

“Considering the World Cup is coming, he’s going to want to play there again because he knows that it is going to help him be in the World Cup squad. If this team (DC United) plays good, and he’s a member of this team, and part of this team, then he’ll go (to the World Cup). The most important thing when I talked with Coach Arena, and he’s very supportive, he knows how manage this thing and talk to Freddy. I gave him my input in the whole situation and we both agreed the best is to keep him with our team and make him better. There are still six months before the World Cup starts. There are still going to be injuries and evaluations on what the World Cup squad needs.”

“But, first things first, he needs to be here every single day. He needs to be mentally prepared every single day, like he was with the National Team because this is the same work. If you’re not prepared for practice in the National Team and just let it go one practice, a second practice, then you’re not going to make it. It is the same with this team. I’m glad we’re on the same page with Freddy and Coach Arena. I think this thing will make Freddy and our team better.”

2. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    I've gotta say that Nowak's comments fully apply to Carroll, Quaranta, Olsen, and Boswell. They should all be in DC's camp instead of playing friendlies with the USMNT too. Just doesn't make sense. There is some sort of uneven handling of players going on, even though all the coachspeak is to the contrary.

3. metrofan_goal23

metrofan_goal23 New Member

Aug 2, 2004
    Virginia
    that is odd... nice find by Diceson tho...repped(sry nvm given too much w/in the past 24 hrs.)

4. rollo

rollo Member

Mar 11, 1999
    San Francisco
    Well, those other players didn't have a highly publicized meltdown and are not being carefully developed with mad skill at a young age. Seems like Freddy impressed Arena and he feels that Freddy belongs (I'm not saying that he had beat out others for a spot). So whats next? The same page for Nowak and Freddy is about starting DC United games. This is the key for any chance Freddy will have at the WC team and the arrangement with Nowak has to be about Freddy's participation in DC camp and training so that he can "earn" a more consistent starting role. I'm guessing, but with all the issues surrounding Freddy, it is going to look weird no matter.

5. macheath

macheath New Member

Jul 8, 2005
    DC
    Right. After those Nowak quotes, if Freddy doesn't start for DC, the only inference possible is that he isn't fully concentrating on practice and giving his all...and there we go again.

6. Friendly Fire Fan

Friendly Fire Fan New Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Nowak's comments are merely designed to support Bruce's decision and his desire to continue to encourage Freddy. I doubt very seriously that Freddy will be back on the 2006 radar at this point. Bruce wants him to prove himself capable of handling the emotional rigors of a full MLS season before he brings him aboard the WC team. For the Adu WC supporters, any glimmer of hope becomes a new springboard. Who was it that said, "Hope springs eternal?"

7. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    Georgia
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    United States
    i agree with part of what you said but i don't know about Olsen. he is still definately a strong possibility for being named on the roster if Mastro doesn't return to top form. Quaranta and Carroll are a little bit longer shot but Boswell needs to just thank bruce for the experience.

8. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    United States
    and i trust your opinion b/c of your long standing professional relationship with Bruce Arena. sitting next to him on the bench for all those friendlies, making it through practice after practice, providing counsel --- wait, you're just a dude in his parents' basement, making unbased assertions on an internet message board??? nevermind.

using my own critical thinking, i doubt VERY seriously that Arena/Nowak would dangle the WC carrot in front of Freddy, if there wasn't a legitimate chance he could make the squad. i mean, what a mindf*** that would be for a teenager, to use a WC roster spot as motivation when you deep down know there is no shot. who are they, Satan? my goodness, if he had no shot, they would just tell him he has no shot. this charade has gone on long enough.

see, this is the problem I have with BigSoccer. there are too many people like FFF, who are so anxious to play the "BigSoccer Sophisticate" role and tell everybody how the world really works, that, in their haphazard and poorly thought-out attempts to be the ultra-conservative oracles, they neglect to realize that their assertions MAKE NO SENSE.

9. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    United States
    That link does not work!

10. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    DC United
    United States
    and the one attribute consistently ascribed to Bruce is that he plays it straight with the athletes, always letting them know where they stand (Keller at WC '02 being, I guess, the exception that proves the rule)

11. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oh, Christ. What charade? The only friggin' confusion lies in the brains of the people on these boards. I'm sure that Bruce Arena has made it very clear to Fredy Adu why he's in camp, and what he needs to do to have any shot at being a part of the WC team. Why do I know that? Not because I'm some "BigSoccer Sophisticate" or a close personal friend of Bruce, but because that's what just about all of the players in the US player pool say about how Arena operates.

What Peter Nowak says or doesn't say about Freddy Adu has no bearing whatsoever on Adu's chances of making the WC because it's not his decision. And, frankly, when he states:

"If this team (DC United) plays good, and he’s a member of this team, and part of this team, then he’ll go (to the World Cup)."

I can't imagine what he's thinking. So all Freddy has to do is play well (or, "good" as the case may be) for DC United to make the WC team, eh? Right, Peter.

Freddy's chances are slim, I'd say. He needs to play for the USMNT (not DC United) and perform well in order to have a chance at making the team. Thus far, he's been on the pitch for a few minutes, had some nice touches, and earned a yellow card. That won't get him to Germany.

12. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    Absolutely right. The ONLY effect Nowak has on Freddy's WC chances are whether he lets him play regularly. If he benches him again, it could hurt Freddy.

If I was Freddy, I'd have a candid discussion with Arena about the situation with Nowak (this probably already happened), and let Arena know that Nowak is just a crazy czar who has unrealistic demands, poor communication with his players, and an extremely distorted view of Freddy's role on his team and the USMNT. And since Freddy is still with DC (I sincerely wish he'd have moved on to somewhere else, anywhere without Nowak) there is a significant chance that last year, and the year before, will be repeated again where Nowak basically plays the role of ultra-stubborn unbudging coach with poor communication skills, and Freddy ends up sitting the bench the week after being named the MLS player of the week.

I think Arena is a very shrewd coach, and understands the situation, and maybe this decision to let Freddy to go DC now is just to appease Nowak to the point where he gives Freddy a fair shot at playing time (and with a fair shot I think its safe to say he'll win a starting spot somewhere on the field with DC), and then in a couple months Arena will start calling Freddy into USMNT camps again and he'll maybe play some friendlies and that's when his evaluation will occur. Now, I'm sure Arena wants to evaluate Freddy right now in these upcoming friendlies, but Nowak may be telling Arena that if Freddy isn't there for preseason he isn't going to be a starter (despite the obvious hypocracy of this as it should apply to Olsen, Carrol, Quaranta, and Boswell too).

Either way, I think there is still a good chance Arena hasn't given up on Freddy yet. It might all just be that Arena is trying to help Freddy avoid last year's debacle from happening all over again before it starts.

13. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    adu was always on the outside looking in, needing injuries to hit to get a serious look...

arena did what he wanted, got a look at the kid, got the kid introdcued to the arena system...

and in the eventuality adu is needed, he won't be coming in cold...

let's say donovan goes down with an acl, then adu will get a very serious look...

right now, it doesn't look good for the final 23...

adu should focus on the olympic 2008 qualifying as his next opportunity to play with the big boys...

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    Raleigh
    Club:
    DC United
    United States
    Um, slight problem.

DC, so far as I know, still has Gomez and Moreno, and is still playing a 3-5-2. So unless Freddy or Moreno becomes the "lead the line" striker, or Freddy takes Gomez' spot, how, exactly, is Freddy going to start?

Maybe DC is going to a 3-3-3-1...no, seriously. 3 backs; LWB, RWB, and Carroll; Adu, Moreno, Gomez; a striker. With Kovalenko gone, maybe Olsen takes his spot.

Alternatively, the more conventional 4-2-3-1, with Olsen and Carroll as DMs, and Gros playing at fullback opposite Namoff.

Anyway, it still boils down to...Freddy won't start for DC unless one of the following happens.

1. DC changes tactics to accomodate Freddy, Gomez, and Moreno all being on the field at the same time.
    2. DC trades Gomez or Moreno.
    3. DC benches Gomez or Moreno.
    4. Freddy or Moreno morph into players that can form a strike partnership.
    5. Freddy's gonna be our left wingback.

Any are possible, none are likely.

15. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    United States
    That was one of my original thoughts though I said it in a different way:

From the Adu Heading Back to United Thread

If Freddy has any chance of making the WC it is because he is starting every day for United not what happens in the current US camp.

16. Shackleton

Shackleton New Member

Sep 13, 2005
    N. Texas
    Gotta think Freddy's chances are slim at best. I can't imagine Arena taking him without giving him at least a few friendlies. But, time is running out. If he's with DC and misses the Japan and Guatemala friendlies, then the next opportunity is Germany and Poland in March. But, what will change by then to get Freddy back with the NT? MLS doesn't start until April, so he can't help himself by tearing up MLS. Nothing that I can see except major injuries to the USA central midfielders. And if he still hasn't played with the NT by the end of March, it's just too late and I suspect Arena will rely on vets if a rash of injuries hit in April or May.

17. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    So you disparage the other guy...then launch your own bs.

The big problem with your post is that neither Nowak nor Arena were the first to dangle any carrot. That was done, and overdone, by the media, by agents, by hype...and yes, by Freddy fans, the kind who post in threads like this.

Nowak and Arena are left having to clean up the mess, the mess made in a teenager's head by adults, money and expectations.

Freddy will start plenty for DC this year, unless he sucks.

18. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    Funny how people are saying things that directly contradict what peter nowak said, and what arena apparently said (freddy playing very well)

It's as if you think you know more about the situation than nowak does

19. chessplayer

chessplayer Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    I would guess that #5 is the more likely of these. Moreno and Gomez are too good, and work too well together, for DC to move either of them.

Having said that, a player with Adu's attacking skill out wide would stretch the field in a way that Gros & Kovalenko cannot- Adu can handle the ball, attack, score or make the killer pass to let someone else score, and if we have that ability with his speed out wide, we not only stretch the field but we create the ability to make and finish scoring chances from all over the field, not just in the middle. If Nowak can get this option to work, it could really jumpstart our team. No one has two #10's who can work on the same field together, we'd be unstoppable.
    Of course, Adu's defensive work rate would have to kick in too, or else his side of the field will be a liability when it isn't a monster advantage.

20. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Yes, if Fred is to play left wingback for DCU he'll have to show defensive skills that he hasn't shown yet. As superdave said, it's possible but unlikely.

21. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    United States
    i make carefully thought out assertions based on my own critical thinking, which is precisely the purpose of internet message boards. the fact that you think it's bs is more or less a revealment of your own intelligence (or lack thereof). :) i'm upfront about my status as a removed spectator. my problem is when people make assertions without thinking, then pass them off as fact.

so your justification for Nowak's comments is based on the tried and true premise, "but someone else started it!" ?? what are you, 5 years old?

the only reasons (we can be absolutely sure of) that Freddy thinks/thought he is/was in the running for a WC roster spot are:

1. He's the ultimate competitor. He thinks he can do anything on the football pitch. It's a quality all great athletes have.
    2. He's observed other MLS players with similar levels of production get call-ups.

it's that simple.

well, this is true. and because of powers greater than themselves (Nike, AEG, USSF, MLS), this MESS, as you call it, is now an inherent part of both man's job description. if they don't like it, they can resign and find new employment.

22. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    I think #1 is the most likely

23. house

house Member

Dec 27, 1998
    Inver Grove Heights, Minn.
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    United States
    How about from tiny to......NONE

http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_280707.html

The passage:

All but two players made the trip back to Manhattan Beach, as Freddy Adu returned to D.C. United while Steve Ralston will continue to rehabilitate a strained right quadriceps in New England

It was a nice run. Hopefully he will take off from this and become a bigger factor on his club team. This is not a catastrophe, but a learning experience...

24. Bluestar

Bluestar New Member

May 21, 2002

Who are to throw stones?

The same argument could be made for your debunking assertions.

Which has more clout/prestige?
    training with the World Cup bound US national team ...
    or joining DC pre-season training camp to ensure a starting position?

Adu must have said or done something to piss Arena off, lets face it, he's being sent home early and will not participate in the US vs Japan game.

I don't know if anyone else caught this, but Adu was acting like quite the "clown" while warming bench during the 5-0 rout over Norway.
    The TV cameras focused in on his bench antics more than once, that couldn't have pleased Arena.

Arena is big on "team play" - enuf said.

25. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    United States
    how does this make it "tiny to none"? we already knew he was going back to his club team. you're posting information that we already knew. this came out before the Nowak comments that he was not out of the running for '06 -- that it almost entirely hinged on his club team play.

again, this is not new news. we discussed this on 1-31-06 here:

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299323

i must say i immediately thought this too, when the news first broke. i'm surprised no one has brought it up since. Adu's behaviour on the bench was completely childish, bordering on inappropriate. i'm really shocked that he felt THAT comfortable in his new environ to be making jokes to 2-time WC vets like Eddie Pope. i mean, maybe if he had been with the team for 9 months or a year ... maybe. but his first group of callups? really surprising. but again, the kid is 16 it's hard to say definitively how a 16 yr old should act in that situation, b/c there haven't been any 16 yr olds in that situation (with a small, elite amount of exceptions, yes i know).

listen, i haven't made an argument of which is better for Freddy, or where he should be right now. i just said that I did not believe that Nowak would keep holding the WC '06 spot over Freddy as an incentive, if Adu had truly been eliminated from contention. in my mind, it boils down to 3 scenarios:

1. Adu has a minute chance at making the US WC roster if (for DCU) he behaves, plays well and shows improvement. Arena has communicated this to Nowak.

2. Adu has NO CHANCE at making the WC roster. Arena has eliminated him from contention but has failed to communicate it to Nowak.

3. Adu has NO CHANCE at making the WC roster. Arena has told Nowak this, but Peter's going to keep holding it over Freddy's head to further screw with the young lad's psyche.

again, whatever the reality, it must fall between the confines of one of those 3 scenarios. i just had a had time believing it was option #3, given this quote from Nowak: "He’s going to stay with us because we felt, together with Coach Arena, that he needs to be with us during the pre-season to make sure that we square all the angles before the season starts.”