Freddy vs. Esky for PT

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by jeffmefun, Apr 11, 2004.

1. jeffmefun

jeffmefun Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Quakeland, CA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright, I know there's a ton of should Freddy start threads, but I'm curious as to whether people think Freddy should be getting all the minutes he is, so I thought I'd put these two guys into direct BS confrontation.

Esky's been playing great, is a threat to put a quick shot on goal from anywhere around the 18 and has been making tons of great runs and hustling his a$$ off. Seems to me he really deserves more PT than he's been getting. I feel for him.

None of the posts I've read really seem to focus on what the Freddy sitch must be doing to Alecko's psyche. I'd be bummed, moving from the #1 pick overall and finally starting to deliver reliably in the beginning of my second season to splitting time with a 14 year old, even if it is Mr. Adu.

2. rksehga

rksehga New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    nyc
    Alecko has really been inspiring in these first two games. He comes all the way back across the halfline to win the ball and start the offense going forward. He has put himself in good position time and again for Jaime and others to play off of. I think Peter took him out b/c he was getting a beating from the Galaxy back line. He went down a couple times and was slow to get up.

At the same time, someone is gonna have to give way to Freddy. Jaime seems fit for about 70 minutes and then he just runs out of gas and looks like the Jaime from the past couple years. Freddy needs time on the pitch to develop and I think he is going to keep getting better. One thing he really needs to work on is his spacing with other attackers. Too often he was following another player to space and that was allowing the defense to send an extra defender in there. 3 defense on 2 forwards is an okay risk for the defense whereas 2 defenders on 1 forward is not.

I think Freddy should keep getting more time. I think we'll see Esky and Freddy up top against the scum in Jaime gets tired again. It's a tought situtation for Nowak though b/c we have a lot of quality players this year. These guys are excited right now and are playing well. It's only going to be tougher to get time as Q1, thiago, and Q2 come back from injury.

Anyone know the status of Reyes?

3. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD
    I don't think Freddy has earned a starting spot but I don't think Esky deserves to stay for a full 90 minutes. His pressure has been great but when DC is ahead late, there are better options to play a possession game. Start Esky. Maybe start 3 strikers when Freddy is ready? Then the question is who do you bump from the mid-field. This is a tough question and a great situation to have.

4. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I would like to see Esky and Freddy on the field together...Esky will run his ass off and Adu can make those great passes. Maybe bring Freddy in for Moreno next time. If you throw Cerritos into the mix, we have 4 forwards that have a legit cliam for playing time, a good problem I guess. But when Tino, Q2, and Martins are healthy, it could just be a problem.

5. 4mybroRRT

4mybroRRT Member

Apr 10, 2001
    N. VA - DCU-land
    I agree Esky has been playing well for two games. Yet he should have solidified his opportunity better during preseason when DCU was going through a scoring drought in Mexico and MLS scrimmages. He didn't take advantage to warrant playing a full 90 minutes.

Bottom line with Esky...hustle all you want but if you don't score goals, as was the case with LA, then sit and give the OTHER #1 overall pick a try. Adu appeared more dangerous (against Marshall) and willing to take a shot.
    Plus Adu already HOLDS the ball better which is important when waiting foto create offensve opportunites for your teammates.

Esky is not playing well enough to play the full 90. Now I'm more interested to see what Cerritos can bring to the table. I'm more interested in seeing was Moreno and Cerritos can do with more time playing together.

Why? Because Cerritos scored. It's gotta be a 'what-have-you-done-lately' approach with Moreno, Esky, and Cerritos because Adu isputting people in the stands, especially on the road. Rightly so, Adu doesn't have that same criteria for playing time.

The thread more applicable should be 'Esky vs. Moreno vs. Cerritos' with Adu's time only becoming greater as the season goes on.

6. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    So, if a forward doesn't score in one game then they get the bench? Then why is Freddy even in your considerations 4mybroRRt - 2 games 0 goals?

Moreno & Esky seem to be well matched for right now. They are creating dangerous opportunities and Esky is willing to take those tough shots. Let them go for a couple of games to see where this partnership develops.

Cerritos & Adu are good second half subs and if they continue to play well and score then they should get the start.

7. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
  8. gyr0

gyr0 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    NYC

Freddy played better than last week, but lets be realistic. At this point, Esky is a better mover, he appears to hae a fitness advantage, and he is playing well off of Moreno. Bottom line, he was more dangeous than Freddy on Saturday. Freddy should be given a chance to develop, but he should also earn his time. It has been an ideal scenarion thus far, as DC has dominated and been ahead in these first two games, but if they are down with 20-30 minutes to go and need a late game start, I would question whether bringing on Freddy would be an effective late game sub.

9. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have yet to see Adu do anyting even remotely soccer-like and see his continued presence on the soccer field an affront to professional soccer and the profressional players who have earned that right through their experience and demonstrated capability! Adu is ill-equipped to play with professionals, yet, and until he learns what a team is and he should be left home when the team travels so the coach can resist the urge "commerical" to play him!

Esky, however, has earned that righht and he should be used!

IntheNet

10. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    :confused:

11. Tweaked

Tweaked Member

Jan 30, 2003
    The Hill
    I just watched the first half on tape over lunch and Esky and Jamie seem to be working well together, as are Jaime and Earnie. Jaime and Earnie had some nice give and gos together. In the first game and a half I've seen of this season, Jaime has definitely been that forward that can hold the ball in the attcking 3rd, create chances on his own, or set up his teammates. I think Esky works well as a rugged forward up front, he went in hard a couple times and should be given the opportunity to show more. Adu needs more experience IMO.

12. URwormfood

URwormfood Member

Mar 24, 2004
    6 feet under: LOT 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roll Up, Roll Up For The Magical Mystery Tour....

Only 2 games played....and seeing alot of combo's on the Menu...I was unable to "see" the game against the G-laxitives...but was tapped into the live feed over the I-net....If my ears were my eyes, I heard alot of fast pased action...I was woundering who would come out for Adu...Esky took the call again this week...I am thinking that next game against the Metro-tripe...It may be Esky or Moreno.. Still the start of the season..and I am fearful of any injuries at the start...

Who will really deserve the start? :confused:

I am waiting until 5th or 6th game...to have a say who should start or not.

~~~Worm~~~

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To this point, frankly, Freddy is hurting DC, because Nowak has to play him for marketing purposes, and Freddy's not as good as the guys he's replacing.

IMHO, given Jaime's fitness issues, it would make sense to "plan" for Freddy to come in when Jaime is gassed, which is gonna be around the 70th minute.

14. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Freddy starts. Esky sits. Neither Freddy, nor the fans coming to see him, will accept sitting much longer. Esky has to accept that. Unless we bench Moreno and Cerritos for Esky-and I can't see that happening anytime soon.

15. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    Freddy shouldn't start since he laid an egg last Saturday.

[​IMG]

16. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    I hope that this is sarcasm!?!?!

17. elconejito

elconejito Member

Dec 24, 2002
    Where Homer Lives
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in the camp that freddy should come in when jaime is tired... esky seems to do well "playing off" of jaime, and i think he would do well "playing off" of freddy as well. esky seems fitter than either jaime or freddy and would probably hold up over the course of 90 minutes. it also gives the team better shape with esky playing high and pressuring the opposing defenders. jaime + adu = 2 withdrawn forwards... and neither is good at pressuring defenders

18. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I guess I'm not a DC fan but I think this is a pretty interesting arguement.

How do y'all feel about Freddy playing in the midfield and then Olsen taking either Caroll's or Kovalenko's spot at CM? To me, Freddy's skills and talent shout "I AM A MIDFIELDER". I mean his ability to hold possesion is amazing, you saw in his pass to Convey that he's a great passer. I'd love to see him paired up in the midfield with Convey