Rumor: Freddy Summer Transfer Rumors

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by sc123, Jun 15, 2009.

1. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um... Palacios has actually been at Spurs for a while now. And he's a defensive midfielder. Do you mean Valencia?

2. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Donovan is just protecting his own turf while he still can. In a few years, once Adu matured, LD will be forced to a sidekick role.

This team will be Adu's team.

I just don't see the passion, desire, grit, ego, ATTITUDE in LD to be a leader/captain of a team. You know, the FU attidude that Adu gave the Argentine winger in NY; the "You're my b*tch" attititude he gave the Brasil U20 team up in Cananda"). That's the kind of ATTITUDE we need to lead a team in international competition.

3. gyr0

gyr0 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    NYC
    Dude, you are delusional.

4. DempC

DempC Member

Jul 31, 2007

That's true. Donovan is threatened by Adu. It was out of line for Donovan to single out Adu when there are a myriad of players who would fall under the same category and when Donovan's orange slice team just put on the performance it did.

Donovan can f-off.

5. sawillis

sawillis Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Smyrna, TN
    I actually kind of believe this

6. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    good point

7. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, let's make this into an argument that forces us to choose whether we're Facebook friends with Donovan or Adu.

Because this his high school and you can only like one. And you can only put one or the other on the field.

And, FWIW, I don't think a guy whose handle is "DempC" needs to spend too much time complaining that Donovan is putting in lazy, lackluster performances.

8. BishopMVP

BishopMVP New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    Except when he first went over and was getting sub minutes for Benfica - and put in 5 goals in limited (~420) minutes. DC United certainly did well when he was there too, although any self-respecting Euro coach would dismiss MLS results out of hand.

I don't disagree with that being the reasoning of his coaches, I just disagree that the perception is reality. He's produced everywhere he's gone when he's been allowed to play. And not just against Mickey Mouse defenses - he was the most dangerous player on the field against both Spain and Argentina last summer, beating guys like Puyol, Xabi Alonso, Mascherano and Gago.

That's why he needs to stop listening to his heart (Benfica's calling! Monaco is a prestigious club!) and go somewhere he'll play consistently. If that ends up being Segunda Division, fantastic, if it's a loan to one of the non-big 3 in Portugal, great.

9. DempC

DempC Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Well, Dempsey's not going around calling out players that didn't even play.

And Dempsey's form has been poor for the nat's of late. Mind you, Dempsey literally went straight from an EPL season into nat's camp.

Regardless, I'm a huge Dempsey fan, but if he has a poor performance, it is what it is. He's not playing well for the nat's...nobody is.

I think there's a something wrong with morale as well.

I was simply calling out Donovan's obvious influence against Adu's PT. It's a safe bet that Donovan, as a highly influential vet, makes those same feelings known about Adu to the coaches.

10. Grumpy in LA

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And in Dempsey's defense, I was unfair when I said he was playing lazy soccer. I just had a look at the ground he's covered this tournament. I think he's covered more than anybody on any team.

So lackluster, maybe. And weird at the end of the Brazil game. But not lazy.

But the whole team sucks right now.

11. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again with the conspiracy theories against Freddy. Adu is not a one-for-one sub for Donovan. In fact, has Adu ever subbed in for Donovan? If Adu was an asset to the team, Bradley would figure out a way to get him on the field. Bradley is no genius, but he has generally gotten the right people to start games. That is not his weakness. Players that don't perform are dropped. Watch what happens to Beasley next game.

From many accounts, Adu seems to be the guy in the office who does great at meetings with upper management, plays the political game, but doesn't actually do any real work. To pre-empt those who are going to misinterpret the analogy, we fans are "upper management," and Freddy's time on the ball is "meetings," and off-the-ball runs and defense are "real work." I could definitely be wrong about this, but this is not something new; we've heard it from at least a few of his coaches. A truly useful all-around player will force himself into the starting lineup of a team, and Adu has not done that at any level above youth teams since leaving MLS.

12. Aaryque

Aaryque Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Norcal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I've seen it would be more accurate to say he's the guy that doesn't seem to be doing much real work but somehow the team and its members just work more effectively and efficiently when he's involved.

He's a facilitator, not a grunt. Unfortunately those employees are difficult to recognize and even more difficult to rely upon. Not because they will let you down, but because if questioned about your choice you can't necessarily point to a log of billable hours to support yourself. By choosing them you're putting yourself on the line. Unfortunately job security is built on meeting expectations, not stepping outside the box in an attempt to exceed them.

13. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    I beg to differ. Spector, Onyewu, DeMerit, Bradley, Donovan and Feilhaber ae playing quite well.

14. Bolo

Bolo New Member

Jan 16, 2007

This is an excellent post

15. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    Interesting analogy.

For me, its more simple. The game of soccer is so often 1-0, 2-1, 1-1, 0-0. For the US team, they often get 0 goals or 1 goal against top competition.

Adu has a good track record- some would say great- in being involved and creating goals. We have very few of those players, and we need more.

Running around the field is great, but scoring is what wins games. We have a lot of 'runners'.

On top of this, at 20, he should still get materially better.

Play Adu.

16. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    What's his track record?

17. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard that Adu is being scouted by Al-Ahly. If he does well against Egypt on Sunday, they will buy him.

18. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

I assume he meant mostly as a youth international.

19. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Watching Adu's role in the confed cup, i have to wonder why he's on this roster. It's not that he hasn't played, but we've been in about every game situation imaginable, and he has yet to even be up and getting ready, has he? I'd love to see Adu play for a four or five full matches, and see what he looks like after the initial adrenalin rush. Is he on the gold cup roster?

20. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    Yes he is. Relax.

21. furby

furby Member

Mar 25, 2003
    I wouldn't say we've been in every situation imaginable ... we've been in many unusual situations.

Presumably, Adu would go in the game as an offensive sub in a situation where we were tied or trailing by a small margin (when the US has the full complement of 11 players on the field).

We've yet to be in that situation late in a game. At 75 min or so, when you'd assume an offensive sub might be introduced:
    Italy - down a man and attempting to preserve a win or draw
    Brazil - down a man and down by 3
    Egypt - preserving the 3 goal margin needed to advance
    Spain - preserving a narrow one goal lead against pressure.

Which of these situations would you have introduced an offensive sub?

22. Kyonn

Kyonn New Member

Dec 24, 2004
    Do we really need 2 Adu threads in this forum?

23. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    hmm..and i thought we actually got some news on the transfer front.

24. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

25. Grumpy in LA

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

We need twelve.

Then we can spend all our time in #12 posting questions about it can't make the starting eleven.