Freddy Juarez Expectations -> Coaching Search

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by 15 to 32, Aug 12, 2019.

?

What does Fredd Juarez have to accomplish to become the RSL head coach

1. Win MLS Cup

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  2. Reach MLS Cup

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  3. Reach Western Conference Finals

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  4. Reach Western Conference Semis

8 vote(s)
    25.8%
  5. Finish in top 3 of West

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  6. Make Playoffs

7 vote(s)
    22.6%
  7. Nothing - find a different coach

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  8. Other - explain in post

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #27 SenordrummeR2, Aug 14, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    Mike can take his ball and shove it. He essentially drug the team through the mud with his temper tantrum and that’s the best he can muster for an apology? I understand that he seems to be gearing up for a legal fight, but this is just sad. His actions created so much discussion and posturing on the team, fans, and FO, whether or not they would do the right thing, etc. His response: “I can’t sleep at night if I don’t treat other human beings like piles of garbage. It’s just who I am.” (Paraphrasing and combining statements from his multiple suspension apology statements). I’m not posturing on the definition of the slur he used, but he’s continually perpetuated a part of the game that I hate: disrespect towards the officials. It’s garbage and a part of the game that needs to be fixed. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

Now that I’ve got that out of my system, I wish he and his family the best on their next endeavor. Hopefully he won’t burn the bridge down on his way out of his next job. At least Cassar handled his termination with grace and dignity.

jessyca, Ismitje, Ivensor and 3 others repped this.
  3. jessyca

jessyca Member

Jun 8, 2008
    SLC
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm actually feeling somewhat optimistic about Freddy at the helm. I think he might be able to bring some new ideas to the club. At least he'll probably use all 3 subs. [emoji2369]

Speaking of, here comes Portillo! I don't remember seeing him at all this season.

4. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know. 2 subs by the 75th? What trickery is this?

5. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    You don't remember him coming in against LAFC and immediatley getting red carded which then facilitated in LAFC scoring a last minute banger to win the game? It left a pretty sour taste in my mouth for Portillo.

15 to 32 repped this.
  6. Paleworm

Paleworm Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anybody with knowledge of Freddy have any insight on whether or not he wants the job? Maybe that’s a dumb question, but the brief commentary about him not liking being on camera just made me wonder if he’s maybe a loyal and capable RSL guy who really just wants to help see the team through the season and then go back behind the scenes.

Allez RSL and 15 to 32 repped this.
  7. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given he has taken head coaching gigs in other settings (Monarchs and Academy) I would think so - but this is a very valid point.
    I'm also wondering if he doesn't want to go in front of camera because of the Petke situation. you know that will be one of the first question, if not the first question, he'll have to answer.

Allez RSL and Paleworm repped this.
  8. jessyca

jessyca Member

Jun 8, 2008
    SLC
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I must've blocked out that memory [emoji23]

However, I was happy with his performance last night.

9. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    to be fair, I wouldn't put Portillo at blame for losing that game. We played well, I thought the red a bit harsh but understandable to the letter of the law.
    The goal came at the death on a ridiculously well hit shot from their CB. I don't think having 11 men would have made a difference, but can't say for sure.

10. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    It's a different game with 11 people. Sure they might've scored a different goal if he didn't get sent off but Zimmerman was unmarked at the top of the 18. Seems like that's the exact spot Portillo wouldve been in being a defensive midfielder.

11. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is Freddy related, but not coaching tactics. The kitten, found by RSL grounds crew tangled up and playing the goal nets, was adopted by Freddy.

12. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Something people dont know about the RSL kitten is that the reason it was tangled up in the net in the first place is that it was scared to death and running away from a Mike Petke tirade at practice.

Too soon?

15 to 32, Allez RSL, BalanceUT and 2 others repped this.
  13. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    It should be named Pato.

Because of that one duck. Not for aaaaaany other reason.

15 to 32, SenordrummeR2 and BalanceUT repped this.
  14. SpiffCoug

SpiffCoug Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Orem, Ut
    I thought on the post-game following the NYCFC game, the radio guys said that Freddy said that Tyrone Marshall would be the coach to do the post-game press following wins and he would be the one to face the music following losses.

Allez RSL repped this.
  15. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    Could be.

On the post game show after the SEA game they mentioned that he hates to be on camera.

16. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Expectations? Lowered.

17. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not for me. LAFC is arguably the best team in league history. Our roster doesn’t compare.

trackrunner and BalanceUT repped this.
  18. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did not expect Freddy could out-coach Bob Bradley with a weaker lineup.

I did expect him to hit LAFC hard when we went up a man.

trackrunner and BalanceUT repped this.
  19. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Herrera hit them kinda hard.

15 to 32 and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  20. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is the best thread for the anticipated unpopular opinion I will share. I’ve read all of the posts in the other threads regarding Freddy’s recent managerial decisions. One possible explanation (of several equally arguable explanations):
    (1) he doesn’t want to be the permanent manager, so
    (2) he is playing locker room politics. By that I mean he wants the support of the players when the new manager comes on board and decides who his staff will be. Thus, unpopular players (i.e., Johnson) aren’t seeing as much field time. It’s the only rational reason, other than an undisclosed injury, I can think of for not starting Johnson. Or maybe he himself simply has a bone to pick with Johnson and/or Bofo.

21. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be extremely disappointed in Freddy if he didn't want the job. Why the hell is he on the staff at all if that is true? Why did he accept the interim tag if that is true?

I think the problem more boils down to him being part of the previous staff and him believing in the ideas from that group - thus continuing them.

As of this moment, if I was somehow in charge of things, I'd completely clean house on the coaching staff side of things (and elsewhere, but that's outside the scope here) and give the new manager a fresh start. No more coming in with assistant coaches you didn't pick.

jessyca, RSLer, goobx1 and 1 other person repped this.
  22. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Agree 100%

It's time for a house cleaning.

23. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mostly agree with you. However, I’ve seen coaches/managers in other organizations/institutions accept the interim role because the organization asked them to and gave them a pay bump. The organization chooses them for the role because they are respected internally and people are comfortable with that person. Everyone agreed up front that the arrangement was temporary. When that happens the temporary person makes sure they do not mess up existing working relationships.

Ismitje repped this.
  24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. There are numerous coaches out there that would kill for that opportunity to prove they can improve the squad. If Freddy would rather not rock the boat, that's just telling of his ability to actually be a head coach at this level.

pate, RSLer and goobx1 repped this.
  25. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tyrone Marshall is doing something right; our defense, despite apparent weaknesses in the personnel, is playing well.

RSLer, pcny, rslfanboy and 4 others repped this.