Freddy Juarez Expectations -> Coaching Search

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by 15 to 32, Aug 12, 2019.

?

What does Fredd Juarez have to accomplish to become the RSL head coach

1. Win MLS Cup

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  2. Reach MLS Cup

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  3. Reach Western Conference Finals

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  4. Reach Western Conference Semis

8 vote(s)
    25.8%
  5. Finish in top 3 of West

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  6. Make Playoffs

7 vote(s)
    22.6%
  7. Nothing - find a different coach

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  8. Other - explain in post

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. Kratisto

Kratisto Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    i voted for finals. If we win against Seattle, then Freddy should be our coach.

2. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I voted nothing-find a new coach and I stand by that.

evilradar repped this.
  3. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, I never voted! So I cast one for "Other - Explain in post" and my other is, I allow myself to change my opinion based on moving targets and various other whims.

DrownedElf, 15 to 32, RSLer and 2 others repped this.
  4. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude has taken his interim role and improved the team he inherited. He deserves the job next season. Instead of spending a insane amount on a coach, spend it on a proven striker. Fully expecting a MLS salary lesson from 15.

5. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say 100% give him the job ... if he's the best we can find for the price we're willing to pay. He's a great guy, but this is business. If someone better comes along, thank you and please continue in your previous role.

6. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on this analysis I’ll vote for Freddy as the full-time weekly prep and 1st half coach and a co-HC to be in charge after the ref ends the first half.

15 to 32 repped this.
  7. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is where the club not having an identity is hurting us. If we went all in on being a developmental squad, then Freddy (especially with what he's done with this team) would be a no brainer. But we don't have that identity. We also don't have the identity of big spenders. This is why, honestly, I think it would be best to clean it all out (front office and coaching staffs) and get a whole new group involved with a clear path for how this club wants to be known.

If Freddy is given the job, I really hope the front office has learned from it's past contract negotiations and only guarantees Freddy the 2020 season. Give options on the next two with significant pay increases to make it worth the risk to Freddy.

Allez RSL repped this.
  8. Paleworm

Paleworm Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m okay with Freddy. It’s finding Rimando’s replacement that worries me.

BalanceUT repped this.
  9. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand why we didn't rotate more through the season (Nicky was still pretty good) but it's made this transition a really hard thing to be comfortable with.

In a perfect world the Monarchs should have been figuring this out, given Nicky's form. I don't watch Monarchs games so can't claim to know who, if anyone, looks good enough (or not good enough) to take the spot. Of note, though, is that Ochoa logged 16 games for the Monarchs and Putna logged 13. Anyone who pays attention to that team know which looked stronger?

10. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    The fact that it was Putna in the net when Nick was out with his injury makes me think Putna is the stronger of the 2. Things may have changed since then but probably not much.

11. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Personally I'd be surprised if Putna or Ochoa is starting next year. I would guess we'll just sign someone in the TAM range most likely - we'll probably have a TON of bad contracts coming off the books.

12. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Andy Williams did one of his twitter Q&A's a few weeks ago, someone brought this up and he claims we already have the replacement here. So probably Putna? I'm not sure I'm super confident with either backup.

13. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would just build around Ochoa.

14. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soooo Freddy better be out

15. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I voted top 3 finish. He did that and better. IMO, he deserves to stay. But, I agree with folks who say that this team needs a top quality coach to get the most out of our talent.

16. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Did he do it or did the team do it? My guess is with all the turmoil the team bonded and responded under the veterans more than Freddy rallied the troops.

Thanks but this team needs more.

17. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we need an established coach. We need to stop with trying to promote people that haven't shown they can do it. Aside from better starts to games, Freddy seemed to have the same problems as other prior coaches. Bad and/or late subs, not knowing how to adjust tactically, and not knowing how to motivate a team to come out hot in the 2nd half.

We need to stop looking at a few good results and expect it to be the norm. It just feels like fans and the FO see a string of good games and automatically assume this can become something that can go for at least a few years, despite seeing cracks in the overall system.

Get proven talent.

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  18. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go after an Ajax or Dortmund type coach. Someone that comes from a culture of development and knowing they aren't the top spender in the league and embrace it instead of using it as an excuse.

As for the Nicky replacement: It speaks very poorly of the club if neither Putna or Ochoa are marked as the starter.

acima, Ivensor, goobx1 and 1 other person repped this.
  19. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is a slippery slope because, in a lot of ways, coaches don't do much of anything once you go down that path. I've heard from numerous good coaches that players are the reason for wins and coaches are the reason for losses. They mean that genuinely.

Honestly, I think there is a lot to the point that the leadership within the team is why this team didn't completely fall apart. However, Freddy was the guy in charge and kept things from spilling over, at least from his role. He easily could have spewed excuses of the distractions and such, but he kept a steady ship and the team performed pretty well, all things considered.

Honestly, I wouldn't be overly pissed if the club hired Freddy for next season so long as that was the only season that was promised. I'd want this to come from the new GM, though, not before. The order in which the clubs handles the items they have to address this offseason will be just as telling as who they actually hire to take the spots.

BalanceUT and Allez RSL repped this.
  20. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Slippery slope for sure and credit to Freddy is due. But if they do hire Freddy he'll be the 3rd totally uninspiring coaching hire in a row and probably 4th if you add Kreis. Sadly Cassar, Petke, and maybe Freddy are all shots in the dark hoping to catch Kreis like Lightning in a bottle.

Go out and get new blood and if he doesn't work hire his assistant.

15 to 32 repped this.
  21. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and, as we've said here a million times but bears repeating, the success of Kreis was not all about Kreis. Based on how his career evolved after the move, Lagerway looks to have actually been the guy who was most (not only) responsible for the club's success. Manning also deserves a lot of credit.

acima and goobx1 repped this.
  22. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Searching my inner-fan soul and I have to admit that scoreboard isn't the only thing that matters to me.
    I want to not be frustrated by bad game plans and inexplicably late substitutions. I want to feel like the team has a solid vision of what they want to be and the FO has a plan on how to both get there and stay there. And lastly, I don't want to watch boring soccer.
    I know it's a lot to ask, but I can dream.

acima, Ivensor, El-ahrairah and 4 others repped this.
  23. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would give Freddy the nod, but he did wait too long again last night to make some needed adjustments

24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    did you post this on 10/23? or 10/19? Or what about 10/6, 9/25, 9/29, 9/21, 9/15...

Taragui and georg repped this.
  25. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Notice the word “again”

15 to 32 repped this.