Freddy Adu in Bahia

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by sakibomb523, Mar 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atomicskiracer

Jun 1, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh come on, if we based this thread on actual news it would be 2 pages long ;)

2. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Ives Galarcep said he definitely has European options. :) Whether he actually based that on anything, I don't know.

3. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eagerly awaiting the eventual "Freddy to Stabæk" news. I bet Bobbo would give him another shot. Maybe he's the only one left. Most amazing thing about Freddy's career is how much time he's been left without a club.

bornsteinforlife repped this.
  4. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Adu might be our last hope for Euro greatness!!!

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  5. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    If MLS can spend 10 million just for the right to get Bradley, surely they can throw a few bones at Freddy? And he's free!

6. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    The last MLS team he was were willing to pay him a siginificant sum just to stay away, so not sure how you figure that.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  7. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradley is a proven commodity.

8. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adu is chasing money, as he should.

Also Adu was low balled by Philly. Hackworth didn't want him there...even though he was ready and willing to play. He had 7 goals and 2 assist in about 2000 minutes of play for Philly. Unfortunately, Philly was and is a terrible team and Adu got scapegoated and was asked to do something simply unreasonable.

Brazil was another nothing loan to make sure he got paid.

Adu is simply too toxic too touch due to a variety of reasons unless he takes a huge paycut.

9. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Atlanta United
    May 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It really wasn't a loan though. Philly had no ties to him this year. This was a real transfer. Now in Europe, outside of Benfica, it was all loans.

10. GONATS

GONATS Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Atlanta
    Not sure how someone with a zero q-rating generates a 100-page thread about a year that essentially consisted of 4 substitution roles off of the bench. Truth is, Freddie Adu is still a big name among soccer fans (even if people do view him with significantly more skepticism and much less hope), and is an even bigger name among non-hard core soccer fans. I still check this thread out from time to time (which I don't do with similarly situated Yanks Abroad getting four substitution roles a year) and I would certainly be more inclined to watch any team that he goes to next to see if he can finally live up to some of the hype. Wherever he goes, I hope he ends up somewhere that he actually plays, even if that means a lower league.

CTS26, Aduesque, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  11. agoo101284

agoo101284 Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Bronx, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a difference between being a recognized name and being someone that people want on their team. Adu is one, but he's not both.

12. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Can we close this thread now that he's no longer a YA?

Winoman repped this.
  13. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Atlanta United
    May 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, this one and Bradley threads are over.

Good bye Freddy at Bahia. On to the next one, maybe the WC 2014.

14. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    let's keep this thread open until he finally gets a gig, even if it's only indoor or NASL - which may be all he'll get at this stage

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Shrug. This happens all the time in MLS. Philadelphia just didn't think Freddy was worth the money they were paying him. He was a salary cap casualty. So they helped him get this opportunity in Brazil, and that was fine.
    It didn't work out, but is that the fault of Philly? Probably not. Yet again a team thought they simply had better options in their squad than Freddy, so they didn't use him.

Let's not forget that Philly earned 36 points in 2012 with Freddy Adu. They won 46 points in 2013 without Freddy Adu (missing the playoffs by 3 points). Make of it what you will...............................but they were overall a better team in 2013 without Freddy.

Freddy will find a gig now. I have no idea where it'll be, but I actually doubt it will be in MLS.

16. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Having a rough start to the week. Thanks for the laugh.

17. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absofreakinglutely.