Red Fred Redemption - The Fred Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Jun 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.thenational.ae/sport/fo...but-says-he-shouldn-t-be-written-off-1.926483

Didn't think Fred was as horrible yesterday as he was made out to be by some. Granted, he is still way too inconsistent and a year in, more should be expected from him but he's not entirely useless and still believe he will improve and get there eventually.
    Also wholeheartedly believe that I want to see have a run playing in a midfield with Pogs and McTominay. The guy's a hard worker and high energy player who could feed off the quality of someone like Pogba at his side (really can't wait for him to come back honestly-his worth to us has been made crystal clear by now).
    In regards to Fred, the quality is there and Ole needs to show him continued trust going forward (not that there is much of choice though given how light we are in midfield anyhow).

2. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    What im trying to figure out is what kinda player he is ? Is he a 6 or a 8? He is not a passer He is not a goal scorer He is not defensive CM .. So anyone who has watched him from old Shakhtar days maybe able to add some perspective. Did Citeh were really interested in him ??

3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's never been a 6. He's a high energy, hard working and forward thinking B2B/ 8. At Shaktar, he played mainly in a mid 2, next to a very solid and defensive holding mid. Aside from his workrate, he also is very goo at keeping the ball moving, particularly forward and that is the feature of his game we're yet to see on a consistent basis.
    He's not a high scorer, that much is certain even if he can contribute a few goals and assists. He's a shuttler more than anything else and he's pretty good on dead ball situations as well.
    Pretty sure that Pep was interested but he probably would have turned him into a 6, as he did with Fernandinho, not for what he can do physically or defensively, but for his energy and capability to recycle the ball and keep the play moving forward.
    Those qualities of his are why I want to see him have a run in midfield with Pogba, whenever he does come back. He definitely looks like a player who needs quality around him to be at his best. And it's not like our team (and midfield) is overflowing in it at the moment.

4. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Think worse version of Herrera

5. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    How many corners dead balls reached target man. If he is anygood he should be taking instead.

I dont think he is suited to our style of play based on your analysis , which brings another question was he really Jose signing or did we signed him because citeh were after him. Even if we had signed Rodrigo aswell he would have failed under Jose or ole neither play focuses on ball retention.

6. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Bingo but he looks exhausted after 60-70 mark..

7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fred and AP should be our main guys on dead ball situations: I have no idea why they're not on them. It certainly doesn't mean they're not fit for those duties...
    Fred can work in our team: as previously stated he needs better players around him and I have no doubt that we'd see the best of him. Just because he played in one system at Shaktar, doesn't mean he can't play in a different setup, on another team. Fred has shown in big games this calendar year that he is perfectly suited to our team (the games in Paris or vs Barca among others come to mind). He needs time and confidence from the manager at this juncture, more than anything else.

8. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    I hope it turns out that way but im skeptical abt his future. .....

9. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    while i maintain Fred has never had a true run in the side to settle in and get form, i accept that time is running out for him to make it here. not the best circumstances but still.

he has to show something concrete not just occasional flashes

johno, jnielsen, thenamestsam and 2 others repped this.
  10. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    Sources close to Fred says his poor performances at the club is due to his displeasure of the lack of creativity used when creating his thread on this forum. Fred who's a member of the forum once said, and I quote... "Until the Top Reds on the Big Soccer Forum come up with a creative thread title his performances on the pitch won't change"

johno, Sofabloke and Anonymous_United repped this.
  11. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Fred refers to himself in the third person?

doubletrouble repped this.
  12. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Better Red Than Fred - The Fred Thread

johno repped this.
  13. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Twinkle Toes He Ain't - The Fred (Not) Astaire Thread

doubletrouble repped this.
  14. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    @Sofabloke believes he does

jnielsen and johno repped this.
  15. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Fred’s a Red...for now - the temporary thread

16. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Could go for the honest angle;

Scouting Failure From Mickey Mouse League - The Fred Thread

17. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    World Wrestling Frederation

18. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Pass Cemetery- Sometimes, Fred is better

19. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Better Off Fred

jnielsen repped this.
  20. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Red Fred Redemption

ok, I think I’m done.

21. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Thats all Fred folks ..

22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm still not sure what Fred's unique skillset is that this, or really any, squad needs but surely he must have more in the toolkit than what we've seen thus far. I'm on board with giving him a run of games so long as that does result in us dropping points to clubs like Norwich.

24. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think the bigger question that's needs answering is....why does every player that was playing super well for teams before they joined us, go straight downhill?

We have poached many players playing top tier in the last 6 years and EVERYONE has declined after they play a few matches for United.

We can keep buying these 'good\promising' players forever, but if you half-ass it...then we will be stuck in a perpetual limbo.

Anonymous_United repped this.
  25. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Great question. The club has been poorly managed since Ferguson left.

Moyes needs no introduction.
    Van Gaal deployed horrific tactics, although he deserves praise for giving young players a chance.
    Mourinho gave us unwatchable football, to the point where one can imagine the players couldn't even bear the thought of watching the film of themselves after the match.
    Ole is learning as he goes.

Had we brought in a manager with a proven record of winning with an attacking mindset, such as Klopp or Pep, I'm pretty sure both managers would have brought in better players in the first place (there wouldn't be a "Fred" on our squad) and would have us playing vastly better football.

But the inauspicious die was cast when we hired Moyes, a decision of monumental stupidity that we are still paying for even now, 6 years later.