Red Fred Redemption - The Fred Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Jun 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm ok with him playing in the cup and in rotation but he's not at the stage of his development where he can be counted on consistently. Furthermore, as you say, he's limited. He doesn't have expansive range, he isn't super athletic and he doesn't score goals. There's no reason for him to play ahead of someone like Fred if he can turn in performances like he is capable of.

To put another way, the things that McTominay offers that Herrera and Fred don't are height and strength. He doesn't turn those things into goals or stop goals with them. At his best, he's just holding occasionally and pressing otherwise. I'd rather have Fred and Ander rotate playing a deeper or slightly more conservative role and assisting with the press.

McTominay would be helpful in the way Butt was helpful. He's obviously not at that level, but he could play (at his peak unless he shows some growth) maybe 20 to 30 games a season with half his appearances coming as a sub.

Anonymous_United and Naboomagnoli repped this.
  2. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    That's all a conventional DM should be at a top club - secondary support when you need to pack out a midfield, then back on the bench when you're playing the other 14 clubs in the league and you don't have any injuries.

I don't think Fred has got it in him to play the deeper role, I thought he was always the less defensive of Shakhtar's double pivot?

3. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Fred can't play as a 6 on any occasion. He's gets caught on the ball far too often.

4. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    Fred's season has been as bad as this thread title

5. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Im not saying he should be integrated into starting 11 but he can be used more often in Matic position. I agree about Fred he was good against PSG and Arsenal and Herrera and Fred can interchange 6/8. My point is he can be useful squad player and im just starting to hate Matic more.

6. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    It is time to drop Matic and put him in place and put Herrera at the six.

Anonymous_United repped this.
  7. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Fully agree but it won't happen. For whatever reason Ole seems like he's going to ride Matic into the ground just like Jose. I hope I'm wrong.

I also hope I'm wrong in thinking that we won't add another 6 this summer even though an improvement there will improve the 11 far more than the addition of a top class CB.

8. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    How can carrick watch tape of the arsenal game and not say to himself, “fvck me, Matic gives the position a shit name.” Get him out of here.

doubletrouble repped this.
  9. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Thats a million dollar question..

10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What Fred did to kickstart his United career.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...news/manchester-united-news-now-fred-15971334

Nice to see him slowly but surely finding his stride. What is said above really outlines how behind he was in adaptation and fitness, first thanks to Mourinho all but making him an afterthought. And then when Ole first arrived and the birth of his kid. Think this is just the beginning with him, as he appears determined to repay the club's confidence in him.

11. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    The last 2 games he played he was very good, hopefully he will continue to excel n improve and with good pre-season he can kickstart renaissance next season.

12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can’t expect him to improve by leaps and bounds like Lindelof did in his second season but I believe Fred settled in during the latter part of this season so I think he can be a valuable option next year.

14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fred is expected to link up with the rest of the team after he gets married.

15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rivaldo urges Fred to stay at United and fight for his place.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/leavin...blems-rivaldo-urges/h1qke3mgxk6m1n434u9ii5gzb

He put himself against it (albeit, once again, not his fault) for the second summer in a row by failing to have a full preseason with the team. Still hold out hope he will come good, particularly if we somehow fail to bring in another midfielder into the fold by the end of next week.

16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Fingers crossed he does: the midfield could use the help.

17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yesterday's game vs Rochdale was easily Fred's worst performance so far from him this season. Yet there is absolutely no doubt that he needs to start vs Arsenal Monday. Need his hustle and bustle out there. And it needs to be part of a mid 3 in partnership with McTominay and Pogba.

jnielsen repped this.
  18. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Fred completed 89 passes, 16 long passes, it wasn't his worst game imo.

19. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He was ok but what still stands out most in his game to me is how often he gets caught on the ball. His decision making time needs to speed up a lot.

jnielsen repped this.
  20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #145 Ashur, Sep 26, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    It was as far as I'm concerned and pretty obviously at that. Albeit, his sample size so far is very small but he was far better and more effective vs Astana or in short cameo vs Leicester.
    His stats might tell one thing, but his play yesterday lacked the usual incisiveness associated with what we've come to expect from him (lots of sideways/safe passes yesterday). Besides the energy he brings, what we're looking from him is the ability and willingness to push up and move the ball forward. Saw little of that yesterday.
    But as previously stated, I definitely feel he needs a sustained run in the team and I hope he'll keep his place vs Arsenal on Monday. Actually believe it would be a pretty bad mistake to leave him out of the starting lineup for that game. I also think he can play a vital role in making Pogs that much more effective as well, provided we ditch our current 4-2-3-1 set up, in favor of the 4-3-3.

21. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The issue with Fred is that he doesn’t fit anywhere in our current formation. He doesn’t cover as much ground or play as defensively sound as McT. He’s obvious not going to replace Pogba. And he’s not offensive minded enough to play the 10. He’s built to play as an 8 in a 433.

22. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That's where he should be playing. I'm fine w/ him playing between the CBs in build up play against dross. The biggest problem we have w/ the 10 right now is that we aren't getting goals in general and not getting goals from a 10, we may as well allow Pogba the freedom to get forward. I like Fred's ability to turn and pass forward when Pogba is playing up the pitch. I don't trust anyone else on our books to get us pointed in the right direction. McTominay is only as good as his partner in terms of getting the ball going. When he's played next to Matic, he abdicates responsibility to the CBs.

I think the biggest hindrance to Fred is the fact that we don't have a proper DM or RW in the team.

I think next season, if we can add a proper DM and we add an elite or elite potential RW to the team, things will look up for Fred.

---------------------------Martial(Mase)
    Rash(James)-------------------------------Sancho(Mase/James)
    ------------Pogba(McT)----------------Fred(AP)
    --------------------------------DM(McT)

It is asking a lot, but I think if we can add 3 starter quality players at RW, LB and DM the squad will be much better balanced. With a balanced team: Fred, who is a balanced player capable of doing a lot of jobs, will shine.

23. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That could work. Frankly I think we need a proper 10 more than a DM in this formation. There’s just so much reliance on the 10 for chance creation in our current setup. It’s frustrating every game watch there be pockets of space for Jesse and him fail to find it. There’s also a lot of space once our 10 gets the ball because of our speed up front defenses are dropping off. I can’t help but feel Bruno would be perfect for us in that role. Creative, good at finding space, excellent distance shooter. He would improve our offense tenfold.

24. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't like Bruno at all. He's wasteful. He's as wasteful as Sanchez is, in a worse league. If he didn't hit the ground running, he'd be panned as a flop and I don't know if he has the mentality to overcome that.

If we can get a hold of Sancho, that adds some penetration and a 'natural' right sided player who is going to create a lot of chances. I think that outlet along w/ from our LW and Pogba, we should be ok against teams who want to play. You are right, against teams that won't come out, we may need a 10 unless we change the way we play.

25. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    I don't buy the wasteful angle on Bruno particularly. His pass completion is not that dissimilar to other higher risk AM players like Maddison or Dmitri Payet when he was at West Ham, and that's at a club that is poor offensively besides him. He has 7 G+A in 5 league games this season again. Sanchez was losing the ball that frequently despite dropping deep and robbing Pogba of the ball, and not playing any dangerous or effective passes.

I'd definitely agree he's not a conductor type, and, if we end up keeping Pogba then we'd seriously need a dictator of tempo in the 6 slot. But then we'd still lack that if we played Pogba and Fred in a midfield 3.