Red Fred Redemption - The Fred Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Jun 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Mkhitaryan, Lindelof, Bailly, Matic, Sanchez now Fred and to some extent Lukaku.. Already said the same on match thread ..

2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why should we give up on him when we don't really know what he can do yet? His displays have been uneven but he has put in some solid ones, like recently vs Everton. He needs a run, so he can get in some type of rhythm and get used to his teammates.
    It's the same thing with Bailly another Mourinho buy (one he praised this summer on tour for putting the team's best interest before his own btw) who can't get ahead of Jones now apparently in the 18.
    Woodward needs to open his eyes, realize fully what is going on and cut his losses. Among top teams in the league alone, Bailly would not be short of takers (Arsenal and Spurs are said to be interested). Fred was wanted by Pep, because of what he has shown with Shaktar.
    Today was a great opportunity to play him. Not sure what he's supposed to do at this juncture but it is now painfully obvious that our guys are not really the issue, so much as the man sanctioning them...

Anonymous_United repped this.
  3. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm not interested in giving up on Fred, but my expectations of him doing anything while Jose is here are nil. He's a small midfielder. I think Herrera, Fred and AP are all miles ahead of Matic at everything except being tall and any manager with sense could get more out of them than Jose gets out of Matic at any position in any utilization except defending tall players on set pieces.

Thing that encourages me about Fred is his ambition and the fact that he plays with tempo. He's able to play quick quick, he's able to carry the ball if opportunity arises and he's always looking to turn and also frequently looking to play the ball behind the defense. Those are all things that a good manager could use. He'll be especially useful in circumstances where we play 3.

I also think that you are right, Jose shouldn't get any money to spend since he can't seem to integrate or get the most out of players that's he bought already. That includes players who require very little work to find their best role OR players capable in multiple roles.

4. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    neither am i but we've seen this pattern enough times with Mourinho and not just at United. Mourinho has never been shy to discard his own buys shortly after. and by discard i mean totally out of the club.

to be clear i mean do we have any hope of him succeeding here? again, what has he done to be in the doghouse? and who believes he will get out of it?

even Herrera who was a general in midfield for a season all of a sudden fell off the map. there is that and Matić is millstone #2 after Sánchez. so even if he does miraculously escape the doghouse there is still the Serbian roadblock in the way.

people might say it is early but if your new £50m CM signing can't get in ahead of unfit Fellaini what hope is there under this regime? (as you rightly pointed out)

benni... and johno repped this.
  5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It's almost like Joses idea of coaching up a player is freezing them out for a month and seeing how they react. He's done it with damn near every player on the team now outside of his darling Matic.

When it comes to Fred, its ridiculous to write him off after less than 6 months with the team. He's needs time to acclimate to the league, team, tactics, coach, etc, etc. With that said, he's been pretty abysmal up to this point. I know I keep bringing it up but it amazes me that all these guys continue to get chances but in the 3 or 4 games he played AP was easily our best midfielders on average. Yet he's frozen out of the team completely for no reason.

benni... repped this.
  7. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Maybe he's frozen out because Jose knows that would be The End of matic.

8. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Forced conversation because the forum is dying. Nothing to talk about until we finally have something positive.

9. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fred does not play in Matic's spot in midfield. Herrera or AP would be the candidates for that role.
    There is no real valid explanation for Fred not playing, except for Mourinho's strange prejudices.

10. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  11. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Sick of Mou selecting cones (Matic Fealliani Mc T) over this guy who is known for his 8s passing and forward play.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  12. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  13. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Mou to Ed : Over to you..

14. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He's such a whiny, petty little cnut. I can't wait until he's no longer associated with this club.

johno and Jack Donaghy repped this.
  15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    United's squad are astonished by Mourinho's treatment of Fred.

www.sportwitness.co.uk/brazil-man-united-squad-astonished-jose-mourinhos-treatment-player/

First they were reportedly astonished by Mourinho's continued use of Matic. Not surprising they'd feel the same way re Fred. Especially considering what they surely know he can provide (and that is badly needed): some quick thinking and zip in midfield.
    The bit about Mourinho justifying not using Fred so far, basically because he didn't get the CB he wanted this summer, should be enough for Woodward to fire him immediately, in my estimation...

16. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Jose mind and way of thinking modern game is the problem, klopp lay the foundation for attack from very first season and continued to add pieces season after season despite them conceding many goals and in some cases surrendering the 3 goals lead altogether but he continued offensive approach believing in the style and structured he is laying for coming seasons and last thing he sorted out was defense by adding VD and since then he has never looked back. On the other hand we have a manager who is scared to concede goals, stuffed our midfield with 6ft cones who are barely mobile but yet when we are conceding he is showing no balls to play an attacking midfielder and still showing no sense of atonement over his continues failure and lack of apathy.

17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fred is looking to fight for his place under Ole after being frozen by Mourinho.

www.sports.yahoo.com/exclusive-fred-fight-future-manchester-181755771.html

Another player who surely will be happy to have seen the back of Mourinho. Could bring so much to our midfield and Pogba in particular, with his intelligence and energy, if only he had been brought along the way he was supposed to.
    One of the guys I'm really looking forward to see actually, under OGS.

18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Non football related, but United has got baby fever big time right now. Pogba (reportedly) and Matic have welcomed new additions earlier this week. Fred is the latest, with his partner having given birth to baby boy yesterday.
    The Smallings, Lindelofs and Darmians are next with little ones of their own on the way as well.

19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...all-news/man-utd-news-fred-solskjaer-15806661

Hard to tell where Fred is currently in his readiness, but Ole is doing his best to keep him engaged/onside. Same applies really to pretty much all the fringe players of the squad.
    He'll need them eventually and there's no point in singling them out or throwing them under the bus. More examples of good man management from Ole, especially contrasting it to Mourinho's style.
    Hopefully it will pay off when it comes to the likes of Fred, AP and others. Who knows maybe the European theater, where the football is different, is where he may start showing signs (even if it's just a cameo from the bench).

20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why Fred hasn't figured much under Ole.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...all-news/man-utd-news-fred-solskjaer-15863130

Not to make excuses for the guy, but when you look at it circumstances haven't been favorable to Fred. How he's fallen behind when Mourinho was there is well documented at this point..
    But since Ole took over, having his kid being born, therefore missing the week's training in Dubai, certainly was no help in getting him up to speed. Especially since he was one of the guys who needed the extra work.
    Playing catchup when you're already behind would go some way to explain his struggles. Fingers crossed, he can get a chance to play soon and show something that the club can hang onto, looking ahead to next season where hopefully he can fully come into his own.

21. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    I would like him to come off the bench against mid table team for the starters, Next season is so important for him along with good pre-season to kick start his united career.

jeff070 repped this.
  22. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Agree that he should be getting minutes off the bench. It actually is pretty poor that we are giving time to McTominay over Fred. There's very little scope for McTominay being anything other than an emergency use player or a squaddie while Fred could be a starter or at the very least a rotation player capable of easing the load both Ander and Paul carry.

I'd like to see him get some minutes for Ander just so he doesn't have to play a full 90 expending the amount of energy he has been so far.

23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Providing the guys in midfield some much needed relief is the main reason we need to see the likes of Fred and AP step it up as soon as possible. Hard to see how they can keep that pace up, especially at the tempo we play in currently. Upcoming games vs CP and Soton look like perfect opposition to get him some minutes off the bench at the very least.
    And ultimately, selling him in the summer is simply not a viable option either. Some players take time to adapt to the Prem (not like Keita for Pool or Jorginho are lighting the league on fire either after all) and I really believe he'll come good in time.

Anonymous_United repped this.
  24. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Agree and tbh Mou ruined first half of the season for Fred.

25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States