PBP: Fraser #4 - Deja Vu? Fraser takes on Vermes, as the Rapids visit the "Blue Hell" 9/21 @ 6:30pm MT

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by TheWarmBurger, Sep 20, 2019.

?

Final Result Predictions?

Poll closed Sep 21, 2019.
  1. Rapids blow out SKC ala LA Galaxy style - winning by at least 3 goals

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Rapids win by 2 goals

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Rapids win by 1 goal

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  4. Ugly slugfest ending 0-0

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Tie game, but the ball actually hits the back of the net

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  6. SKC wins by a goal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. SKC wins by 2 goals

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Blue hell is real... SKC blows us out of the water, winning by at least 3 goals

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Was watching the game on my phone, so it was a bit small. Pretty unlucky on the first goal, looked like Rosenberry kicked it into the opposing player so it went in.

Missed the second goal as I was paying more attention to the Ducks. (sorry).

Caught the rest of the game after that. Will post some thoughts in a separate thread.

2. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    He was absolutely getting mugged. Don't think the ref was going to call it (they tend to avoid stuff like that after giving a red), but should have. And the simulation after the bicycle kick also should have been pointed out. The ball was well past the defender when he decided to fall down dramatically. Not even oscar worthy since it wasn't even good acting!

AlbertCamus and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  3. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Some random thoughts on the game:

- I watched on my phone, so it was a bit small. luckily I just got a new phone with a bigger screen, so it worked out. Crazy how the ESPN+ app looks to location on a fire stick and ipad, but didn't seem to care as much on my android phone.

- I was a bit surprised at how well SKC played against the Rapids after the red card. They had some good chances and probably should have picked up a 3rd goal.

- The Rapids had long periods where they didn't seem to push as hard, maybe thinking "we are up a man, so this should be easy".

- Certainly I didn't notice as much of the "flash" as we have seen. Probably due to the "half court offense" where it wasn't push and run.

- I was also curious subs weren't used earlier in the 2nd half. Shin coming on was great, he just has a way of drawing attention and somehow getting through it.

- Nicholson has a killer outside shot. I would hate to have been standing in front of one of those things. It would really hurt. Fairly accurate from distance, he could have bagged a goal out of his several shots.

- The SKC goals were both pretty crappy. To me, it seems like we scored all 5 goals (Rosenberry's was pretty much a kick right into the other player which went in). At least we know we can score!

- I was thrilled to see the team win (of course), but wonder if we weren't up a man how we would have faired. Although had the sides been even, we may have seen more use of speed in a full field rather than the half field it mainly seemed to be.

- I really enjoy watching this team. Really bummed Hudson screwed up so bad, we may even have been competitive in the playoffs.

- Just realized the game this week is on Sunday. I had set Saturday aside for it, now have to travel for work. :( So, I will be trying to watch from 38k feet in the air!

Looking forward to starting the off-season "how can we get better" discussion.

rod.

TheWarmBurger and Riccardo55 repped this.
  4. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So yeah, just when we hit a nice win/optimism streak, wouldn't you know.....the blackout, work, etc. crap hits the fan. For my part, I had neck surgery on the 13th and my Spine surgeon, who has been to section 108, wasn't sure it'd be safe for me, "maybe sit in a boring section for the Dallas game?"

Sigh. But healing up nicely.

R

Sports Yak and Rod1916 repped this.
  5. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    I think ESPN+ won the game for us tonight. In the first half they had the SKC commentators (who ar
    I think the big issue we had this game is that when SKC went down a man, they kept all 10 of their players in their half and just hoped that they could hit on a counter attack with speed of their own.

Given the rapids history of not being able to pick apart defenses, it was a solid strategy.

That said, it was really nice to see the team finally pick apart a bunker. How many times in recent years have the rapids been able to pick apart a bunker??

Riccardo55, Rod1916 and Stuart95 repped this.
  6. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
  7. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    It seems standard operating procedure when going down a man is to bunker regardless of the score. The team team with the mad advantage finds space on the flanks, but has a hard time getting space in the box.

Kudos for the Rapids on being patient and working to find solutions

8. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    If that hadn't gone in it should have been a pk. Also there really isn't such a thing as "high kick" there is 'playing in a dangerous manner' and that can involve a high kick IF players are endangered by it -- in this case the shirt tugging, arm wrapping, contact simulating, defender got what he deserved ---scored on.

9. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  10. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  11. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004