Franck Songo'o

Discussion in 'Portland Timbers' started by tomásbernal, Feb 16, 2012.

1. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have the energy to seek out articles about the preseason matches, but Franck Songo'o has been lighting it up. I believe he's 24, Cameroonian, flexible midfielder with very good playmaking skills. He came up through the Barcelona academy with Messi and Fabregas, but has been hampered by injury if I recall correctly. He's played in the EPL as well as La Liga (though never with Barcelona's A team I don't think) and has been trialing with us for several weeks now. He's had at least 4 assists out of 8 total goals in the 4 games in California in the past week or so. He went the full 120 minutes against Chicago today and assisted on both goals. He played as an attacking mid today, but has played on the wings in other games. I would expect to hear about his signing with the Timbers in the next few days, as I think they are headed back to Portland now. I'm really excited about this guy, and it sure as hell seems like ole' coach is too! Looking to be a fantastic season, y'all.

2. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. burnsbabe

burnsbabe New Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty pleased with this signing. I wasn't sure about him at first but 4 assists in four games is nothing to scoff at and he looks really good if you check out some of the video. I'm excited for 2012!

5. USNatsfan Yesiam

Feb 23, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very pleased also, and he seems like a huge upgrade over Khalif.

From the few highlights I've seen, he's technically gifted, plays the early ball incisively, and has mercilessly (and cleanly) pickpocketed left backs in dangerous spots. Haven't seen him shoot (except for one youtube video with Sheffield Wednesday) but he can't possibly be less accurate than Khalif.

http://youtu.be/Zl388w1LKlc

6. burnsbabe

burnsbabe New Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That video is impossible to get anything out of. But I'll be stoked if he's a decent shooter on top of the Boyd feeding.

7. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    HOW IS
    Franck Songo'o playing ???? ​

8. USNatsfan Yesiam

Feb 23, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frank is now regularly in the starting 11, and with each passing week he seems to justify his selection a bit more and help the Timbers maintain some attacking possession. His signing was accompanied by a significant amount of hype and very high expectations, but he has been a bit slow to gel with the team. This past Sunday, his quality really began to show and I think he was one of the best players on the pitch -- certainly made our midfield much better.
    He has been utilized mostly at L-Mid, but plays much more centrally than a classic winger. I really like the chemistry that he is developing with Diego Chara, Darlington Nagbe and Steven Smith -- hopefully his creativity will turn our possession into more scoring chances.
    He hasn't scored yet, but has assisted on a few goals from set pieces. He had a fantastic Rabona pass on Sunday that put Mike Fucito in on goal, but the shot was off target.
    Check out this video of the highlights from the last game, the Cascadia Derby against Seattle. He served the corner kicks that resulted in Goal #2, and the header off the crossbar. His sick Rabona is at 2:10.
    http://www.portlandtimbers.com/video/2012/06/25/rose-city-rewind-portland-beats-seattle

9. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    One step forward, two steps back. Just like the rest of the Timbers. Songo'o was good against Seattle. The next game, against Colorado, he was pulled for what appeared to be performance reasons before half time (he suffered no apparent injury and was clearly pissed off as he left the pitch). Coach Spencer has not publicly discussed why, but most informed folks think it has to do with his utter lack of defense. Two early goals came from attacks down his side. I would be surprised if he started tomorrow against San Jose.

10. burnsbabe

burnsbabe New Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He DID start against San Jose, and he tore it up for 70'+ until he went down with an injury. It looks like he'll be out for a couple weeks and then back in. I'm getting more and more excited to see him play every week.