Francesco Totti: C'è Solo un Capitano

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Vulpinous, May 27, 2017.

1. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  2. romanista8910

romanista8910 Member+

May 7, 2010
    Roma
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Amazing letter. Really got me. Lots of emotions flowing. Thank you vulp.

Vulpinous and Gianluca511 repped this.
  3. federicoturano

Aug 7, 2015
    Really emotional

Vulpinous repped this.
  4. Andreas

Andreas Member+

May 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    I can't believe this is the last day. It feels surreal.

romanista8910 repped this.
  5. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
  6. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    [​IMG]
    A young vulp

7. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to say it but the decision needed to be made. He's 40 and always injured. I followed Roma before Totti and saw GG forced out.

It really is time for him to retire and he is just not able to make that decision on his own.

8. Midgo

Midgo Member

Oct 8, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I started following Roma when Batigol moved there, but Totti made a Roma fan out of me, it will be weird watching Roma without Totti.

romanista8910 and Java65 repped this.
  9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #9 falvo, May 28, 2017
    Last edited: May 28, 2017
    Its a river of tears at the Olimpico! I can't believe all the emotion!

...The Capitano just signed a ball and kicked into the stands....

shiboboo, romanista8910, Java65 and 2 others repped this.
  10. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    It's live on YouTube as well for anyone without a stream.

11. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Today a legend has left the soccer world, one of the most influential, aspiring, dedicated role models many have looked up to, me included. When the word "captain" is spoken in any soccer conversation the first and only person that pops up in my head is Totti, i will really miss this guy and the great talents i was fortunate to witness.

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  13. Deand21594

Deand21594 Member+

Jan 24, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Wow what a day :cry:

14. Veselin10

Veselin10 Member

Aug 24, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bulgaria
    I haven't cried in 15 years, but i totally broke down in tears today.

15. Matrim

Matrim Member+

Feb 10, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Before this match I was hoping that Totti would retire, but during the farewell time I've realized that he has given so much to Roma, that he deserves to get as much happiness from football as possible.

And if getting 2-3 more years somewhere else is what he needs from the game, then so be it. He deserves it for being such a great inspiration on and off the pitch.

My favorite player. I don't think that I'd have another after him. It's been a wonderful 17 years of being aware of the magic called Totti and Roma. And they are still magical, even it's an end of an era for us romanisti, life goes on for Roma and it goes on for Totti - and that's kind of reassuring and beautiful in its own way.

Haakon24, romanista8910, Oban14 and 7 others repped this.
  16. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I haven't cried since my dog died when I was 20

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  18. sharkmen

sharkmen Member

May 29, 2016
    It was a beautiful ending of a beautiful player. What a legend.

19. Matrim

Matrim Member+

Feb 10, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Can someone summarize the things Totti said when he spoke at the end? Anything of note?

20. Veselin10

Veselin10 Member

Aug 24, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bulgaria
    “We’re here, the moment has arrived. Unfortunately, the moment has arrived that I hoped would never come,” said Totti to the crowd in his speech.

“Over the last few days, so much has been said about me, such wonderful things. You were behind me, pushing me on during difficult moments, and that’s why I want to say thank you to everyone.

“I cried on my own, like crazy! You can’t just forget 25 years like this. I thank everyone, even if this is not easy for me. I spoke to my wife about what these years have been like.

“I thank my mother and father, my brother, family and friends. Thank you to my wife and three children. I wanted to start from this, because I wasn’t sure if I’d be able to get to the end of it.

“It is impossible to explain 28 years in a few phrases. I’d love to do it with a song or a poem, but I’m no good at those. I tried to express myself through my feet, because everything seems easier that way.

“Speaking of which, do you know my favourite toy when I was young? The football! And it still is. But at a certain point, you have to grow up. That’s what they told me, that time had made its decision.

“Damn you, time! The same that on that June 17, 2001 we wanted to go so fast. I couldn’t wait to hear the referee blow his whistle three times and it still gives me goosebumps now.

“Now time has come and tapped me on the shoulder, telling me I have to grow up. He said, from tomorrow, you will be an adult. Take off your shorts and boots, from now you are a man and can no longer smell the grass, feel the sun in your face, the adrenaline that consumes you and the satisfaction of celebrating.

“I asked myself over these months why I am waking up from this dream. You know when you’re a child, and you’re dreaming something wonderful until your mother wakes you up to go to school? You try to get back to sleep, but will never be back in that same dream. The spell is broken.

“This time it wasn’t a dream, it was reality. I want to dedicate this letter to all the children who cheered me on, to those who perhaps grew up with me and became fathers.

“I like to think of my career as a fairy-tale to tell… and this is the worst part. Now it really is over. I take off my shirt for the last time. I will fold it nicely, even if I have to admit I’m not ready to say it’s over and maybe I never will be.

“Sorry if during this period I didn’t give interviews or clarified my thoughts, but it’s not easy to switch that light off. Now I am afraid. It’s not the same fear you have in front of the goal when you need to score a penalty. This time I cannot see through the holes in the net what lies beyond.

“So allow me to be a little afraid. This time I am the one who needs you and your warmth. What you’ve always shown me. With your affection, I will certainly be able to turn the page and throw myself into a new adventure.

“Now is the moment to thank my teammates, Coaches, directors, Presidents, all those who worked alongside me over the years. The fans, the Curva Sud, a reference point for us Romans and Romanisti.

“Being born Roman and Romanisti is a privilege. Being captain of this team was an honour. You are and always will be in my life. I might not be able to have fun with my feet any more, but my heart will always be with you.

“Now I walk down those stairs, enter the locker room that welcomed me when I was a child and I leave now that I am a man.

“I am happy and proud to have given 28 years of my love to Roma. I love you!”

RomaWolf, Haakon24, shiboboo and 12 others repped this.
  21. ShoelessMan

ShoelessMan In vino veritas!

Jan 25, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    best... retirement speech... EVER!!!

22. LordNelson

LordNelson Member+

May 29, 2012
    London
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Il Capitano... the greatest of them all.

23. Goduerza

Goduerza Member+

Jun 13, 2008
    Bulgaria
    Club:
    AS Roma
  24. TheNewMeazza

TheNewMeazza Member

May 14, 2017
    gianluigibuffonSiamo cresciuti insieme.
    Ci siamo affrontati da avversari. Abbiamo gioito e pianto insieme.
    Buona vita Francesco. Qualunque sia la tua strada, qualunque sia la tua prossima sfida. #TottiDay

25. chaponga

chaponga Member

Roma
    Jul 11, 2011
    Arizona
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    this picture makes my heart hurt

romanista8910 and ShoelessMan repped this.