France v Ireland (7th Sept) - WC Qualifying [R]

Discussion in 'France' started by gaijin, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Of course. The thing is that the defence needs to get along with its keeper. You'll tell me it's the case also with Barthez, but I'm still more confident with Coupet behind. Even if he's been very lucky, Coupet has still been really good in latest game you can't deny it.

2. Rima067

Rima067 New Member

May 10, 2004
    Barthez used to smile too, you know, lol. Then he had that defense in front of him that- well Silvestre is not there anymore, but Thuram wasn't either.

3. Rima067

Rima067 New Member

May 10, 2004

yes, he's ovbiously in form.

4. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    That's a frenchism. :D

In English we say "he's in good shape". :)

5. fishbiproduct

fishbiproduct New Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Pasadena Ca.
    Je dirait meme plus: flagrant delit de Frenchisism!

Rima, au piquet!

6. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Isn't it 'gallicism' instead ? :p

Our non-French readers must be wondering WTF ?

7. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Are there that many non-French readers anyway ? It's rather awckward to see French people discussing between themselves in English !

That reminds me English class in High School...

8. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    that's funny, i took french in high school! ;)

honestly, i never had the idea that we were a bunch of frenchies speaking a foreign language together... the level of english here doesn't show it anyhow!

anyway, we're here to discuss but also to show the colors. there are misguided souls who think france is backward and inferior, and french football moreso, but in terms of football conversation, il n'y a rien à dire!

9. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I don't think so. It is English as in England English. All you have to do is watch an EPL match and you'll hear all about the "form" of different players.

10. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France

It reminds me that I was somewhat laughing when I learnt that French people were carrying business or scientific meetings in English whereas all participants were French !

The situation is different here since it's an English speaking public forum. Let's pretend we're all on a journey abroad... ;)

In the mean time, I like to type in French in World Rivalries, just to piss them off ! :D

11. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i've been in enough of these meetings to say that this is not really true. if the meeting is in english it's because there is at least one german, american, swede, etc. present.

the minutes of the meeting will be in english if it's an international company where non-french may need the report. you will often see e-mails between french people in english for the same reason.

to get back to the meetings, speaking french in an international meeting gives a bad impression. first, it's rude. second, it shows you're not comfortable speaking english, which can be like getting a nosebleed in a shark tank. you also give the impression that you're hiding something.

if you talk french to truly hide something, it's dangerous as there's possibly someone there who does speak french. i've picked up some tidbits from germans that way. :p