France FIFA U-20 Women‘s World Cup 2018

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by shlj, Jun 29, 2016.

1. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Of course, Pacheco is now free to roam on the Left-Side, now that she doesn't have to care about Pattiwael anymore. :coffee:

2. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The referee just made a HORRENDOUS mistake. There was a major collision in the English box where an English was hit in the head and went down. There was, correctly no foul called but it was a head injury and referees should ALWAYS stop play for a head injury and good refs will do that. Simple injuries no but head injuries are different. The ref should never have allowed play to continue.

Fortunately the injury turned out to be not serious.

Lechus7 and blissett repped this.
  3. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    And another crossbar from England from a quite confused CK action: England sure looked closer to 3-1 in this 2nd half than Netherlands to 2-2.

4. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think England is tiring but with just a few minutes left it may not matter. There have been no English subs.

5. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    they already try corner flag tricks: weren't they already punished for that in this tournament? :coffee:

6. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The number of passes missed by Ypema in this game was horrendously high! :x3:

7. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    England wins 2-1. The Netherlands just ran out of ideas.

blissett repped this.
  8. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Now we just have to wait a while for the final quarterfinal. It will be a case where two of the Axis powers will be on opposite sides.

blissett repped this.
  9. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, and this made 2nd half a little more boring compared to 1st half.

(English) Eurosport announcers would prefer Germany in the semifinal because Japan "would pose different problems than what they're used to".
    We're going to see. :coffee:

10. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    #385 BarryfromEastenders, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    Georgia Stanway became the first English player to score in FOUR consecutive games at a FIFA World Cup Finals.

blissett and Lechus7 repped this.
  11. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    But at least both sides kept trying to attack for most of the 2nd half.

Personally I would prefer to see Japan win.

I do not know exactly why since the US is not involved any longer but a phrase from the movie "Die Hard" keeps popping into my head: "Pearl Harbor didn't work out so we decided to get you with tape decks." Except maybe "soccer" should replace "tape decks."

I know bad joke. I plead "old brain syndrome."

12. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Englad looked more organised than Dutch with greater number of quality players I'd say. Main concern for them in semis will only be to keep finishing their chances. Price for enforcing high tempo in the match must be more than one goal advantage - this time it worked...but ask China.;)

blissett repped this.
  13. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    That was England's first ever knockout win at this level and only their second knockout win in a WWC youth finals. The other win was a penalty shoot out win against Japan in 2008 (Bronze, Nobbs, Christiansen group).

I thought the team played well for the most part and this team has players that you can be quite confident about finishing chances. I worry about teams being able to pass through England's high press because this system can leave players exposed. The team has achieved alot at this tournament and it's all great experience.

14. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'll mostly follow the game on the Nadeshiko Japan thread, guys, although I could pop-up here from time to time.

There is the Eurosport streaming available, as for the other 3 quarter final so far.

Japan starts with their absolutely best line-up, I'd say:

Stambaugh
    Miyagawa - Minami - Takahashi - Kitamura
    Miyazawa - Nagano - Hayashi - Endo
    Takarada - Ueki

15. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I hope this match a least lives up to the standards of the match earlier today.

I do have concerns that it "could" drop to a VERY defensive theme. Both Germany and Japan have showed that they can drop into a defensive shell that can, at times, almost look like a traditional 7-2-1. If both teams get that mind set we could be in for a very long afternoon. Almost kickoff time and I hoep my concerns are unfounded!

16. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    In the first five minutes Japan has had the best of the play. But both have had real chances. Who would have thought that Japan's best chance would come off a headed corner. The Germans are a LOT taller in virtually every position.

17. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I am afraid it could be happening right now... :cautious:

18. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Both teams seem to be setting a strong line between the half line and the defensive third. There has been little effective play in the attacking thirds since the first five minutes.

But it is not that they are not trying to attack it is that the defensive play by every player for whichever team does not have the ball is so strong.

This match, so far, does not meet the standards of "defensive football" it is just that the defenses are so good. It kind of reminds me of the '99 final China vs US.

The great thing is that both teams are playing defense at a VERY high level and not resorting to fouls at all.

BTW: Who would have thought that Japan would dominate the corner kick category?

blissett repped this.
  19. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Nagano has to drop to her own team's defense-line to find playable balls.

The German player worrying me more so far (even more than Gwinn) is Oberdorf: she's not much accurate, but she's very lively.

20. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    "Lively" is one of those "English" words that sound like a positive but often are not. It is often a near insult to say to a player. "You looked lively that half."

21. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Japan comes VERY close off still another corner.(Second ball) Japan seem very well drilled on the corners and their lack of height seems little handicap.

Again another near score off another corner. It is the Japan corner show!

blissett repped this.
  22. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #397 blissett, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    Oh, thank you. Not sure what's the closer correct english word to what I had in mind: I use to to directly think my sentences in English, but sometimes I am betrayed by my native language.

23. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, if the games could be won on CKs, we would be 6 or 7 to 0 ahead! :p

Anyway, I officially claim Japan should be ahead by at least 1 goal right now!!!! :mad: I hope all of these wasted chances won't come back haunting us!

24. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    0-0 at the half. Japan has had the best chances and come VERY close a number of times but they have been unable to finish.

The half time adjustments are even more important in this game than any others in the quarters.

blissett repped this.
  25. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, we should have killed the game right now, when we had the chance to do it in this final 5-10 minutes of 1st half. Who knows what will happen in 2nd half?

Anyway, so far I am pleased by Japan, especially the Endo-Takarada connection.