France 1998 vs France 2018

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by babaorum, Jul 16, 2018.

1. babaorum

babaorum Member+

Aug 20, 2005
    Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Thinking about it again, I reckon that only Mbappe, Griezmann and Pogba would have been certain picks in the 98 starting 11. Even Varane would have had it hard vs Laurent Blanc.

2. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    Overall the '18 run was really smooth without a single game going to ET for them.

The '98 team struggled in R16 and in the QF they were centimeters from elimination and all that playing at home.

Just difference in teams they've faced and luck/ref/injury?

3. babaorum

babaorum Member+

Aug 20, 2005
    Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    France faced an iron-like Paraguayan defense in 1/8. The heat, the fear of exiting early in the competition, Zidane's absence were other reasons of France struggling so much.
    In the 1/4, France faced a team (Italy) that was simply better than any those faced in 2018.

4. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Yes, but the likes of Blanc, Desailly, Djorkaeff, Deschamps were all better in 1998 as in 2000. Those were getting old(er). Djorkaeff was in 1998 offensively one of their two best players.

5. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    Belgium are a great team imo, the rest was pretty weak that's right....

6. DazerII

DazerII Member

May 27, 2011
    I concur with you that in 1998 France never got going, even in the first game which to be fare to them was windy which spoiled a game a bit they weren't convincing. Nevertheless with all their struggles they ended up winning the final convincingly against Brasil.

Having said that on paper 1998 team looks better although it should be taken into consideration the difference between how the top leagues were perceived then and now. If you look at France 98 team not many of their players were coming from top teams then. With probably exception of the likes of Thuram, Zidane, Dessaily and to certain extent Leboeuf and Viera were other players really that better compared to the current team? Imo when we judge these two teams many peoples' judgement will likely be influenced by how the overall careers of 98 players turned out rather than their actual level prior to WC 98.

For example both Thierry Henry and David Trezequet were upcoming stars in 1998 and their inclusion into the team was highly influenced by their performance in the 1997 under 20 WC. For example imo the likes of Kante, Griezman (irrespective of his so so WC), Pogba, Varane, and Umtiti are arguably more established at this stage of their careers relative to some of their counterparts at the same stage in 1998. With exception of the likes of Pavard, Hernandez, and Matuidi, and Giroud I honestly think this team is underrated. Btw I happen to also rate Lloris higher than Barthez. I am sure everybody can agree that at this age Mbappe is definitely much better than both Henry and Trezequet in 1998.

7. babaorum

babaorum Member+

Aug 20, 2005
    Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Deschamps played with Juve, Candela with Roma, Boghossian with Parma, Djorkaeff with Inter, Lizarazu with Bayern, Petit with Arsenal, Karembeu with Real... That makes a lot players coming from top teams, in addition to those you mentioned. And all of them were seen as key players in each of their respective clubs.
    There was also Laurent Blanc, who was packed with experience.

8. babaorum

babaorum Member+

Aug 20, 2005
    Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Barthez still number 1 in my opinion. His record with France is unmatchable.

9. DazerII

DazerII Member

May 27, 2011
    I get your point but I don't remember someone like Karembeu as a key player for Madrid during his first season, even though to be honest I had limited access to Madrid games that season. On the other hand the likes of Candela and Boghossian fall in what I call average players.

Although the issue of super teams wasn't as pronounced then as it is now but just comparing where players came from it looks like this.

France 98:
    9 player came from Monaco, Auxerre, and Marseille. Arsenal and Juve contributed 2 players each, and other players came from Inter, Roma, Sampdoria, PSG, Metz, Parma, Inter, Milan, and Bayern.

France 18:
    PSG and Marseille 3 each, Barcelona, Atletico, Chelsea, and Monaco 2 each. Other teams with 1 player were RM, Bayern, Juventus, ManCity, ManU, Sevilla, Spurs, Lyon, and Stuttgart.

I know this is a shallow way of looking at it but the quality of the teams where 2018 players came from looks a bit stronger than that of 1998. Anyway this is a very interesting debate.

10. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Good point,

But, how much of the fame of the 1998 players was reinforced with the Euro 2000 win. I mean, if France wins the next Euro (highly likely), I think the edge for the current generation could be a bit clear.

11. babaorum

babaorum Member+

Aug 20, 2005
    Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yes, the 2018 is younger but is not short of experience at club level actually, or even with NT, a lot of players having played mutiple international competitions prior to this WC. That is true. The thing is that I don't think the 2018 team had such influential and commanding figures as Deschamps, Desailly and Blanc. The 98 team was packed with leaders. The 2018 team ? Not so much. Lloris maybe to some extent. Varane might play a similar role in the future I guess. His stature has clearly raised in the WC.

Karembeu was an undisputable member of the Real XI that won the CL that year. He scored in the 1/4 and 1/2 if I remember properly. He was a physical monster with limited technique.
    I strongly disagree about Candela. I clearly remember him as being rated very high in Serie A back then. Very consistent fullback and versatile as well since he could play on both sides. He was just unlucky to play in the same area as Lizarazu.
    Boghossian had a fine carreer with Parma. Consistent and reliable player. But yes, he was clearly a step behind Petit.

12. babaorum

babaorum Member+

Aug 20, 2005
    Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    That's possible. At some positions I think the 98-00 team will have the edge for a long time : the number 10 spot plus the whole backline basically except Varane probably who might surpass Blanc and Tresor in the next years.

msioux75 repped this.
  13. Varnagel

Varnagel Member+

Nothing
    Sweden
    Jun 4, 2017
    Barthez let in two goals in 7 games in 1998, one in a dead rubber against Denmark and one against top scorer Suker. Won a penalty shoot-out too.

Lloris let in 7 goals in 7 games and made a clanger in the final. By world-cup winning team standards, his performance was average at best.

14. babaorum

babaorum Member+

Aug 20, 2005
    Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    To be honest Barthez had few saves to make.