Rumor: Fox to acquire Setanta Sports USA?

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by blackhornet, Jan 4, 2010.

1. ovalball

ovalball New Member

Apr 10, 2008
    Beaufort, NC,
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shows you how much I've paid attention. I suspect, however, if they ever do tell us anything it will be the same type of "announcement". Though we should expect fair and open treatment we will never get from these people. They don't want to start a wholesale bailout by subscribers.

Unfortunately, this reminds me exactly of the last floundering days of ITVN----another one of my great subscription choices, only there I was month-to-month. I'm paid up with Setanta till December. Obviously, age and experience haven't taught me a damn thing.:eek:

2. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I never bitched: I thought it was very reasonable and if Setanta guaranteed the same content it was providing up until last week, I would continue to pay gladly.

3. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Sorry to hear that. When Setanta started wobbling in the UK, I switched to monthly when my subscription renewal came up (even though I know they're not technically related). Glad I did.

I've never minded paying $15 a month, since they've had so much content that I like. It'll be sad to see them go - but that's bidniss for you.

4. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and FSC being Nielsen rated FWIW

5. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hull v Chelsea's been postponed due to the weather - is it possible ESPN picks up a different game on Saturday? Say ... Arsenal v Everton?

6. ovalball

ovalball New Member

Apr 10, 2008
    Beaufort, NC,
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, thank goodness I'm also a rugby fan. As long as Setanta-i stays "on" I'll get something enjoyable for my money. Maybe I'll check out Championship soccer, assuming they keep that.

However, it's not difficult to read the tea leaves here. No EPL means lost subscriptions, means less income, means------:(

7. kstuart

kstuart Member

Jul 13, 1999
    Northern California
    Boro-Swansea on Saturday is postponed a day in advance, so it seems unlikely there will be any football this weekend in England.

8. demonstimpy

demonstimpy Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    West Ham/Wolves is still on Sunday. Pick it up someone!

9. R1PP

R1PP Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Swarthmore, PA
    "Bidniss" I love it!! I agree the $15 is well worth it. When Fox Soccer was showing crappy infomercials, Setanta could be showing live Russian League soccer or a good replay of a game. I am also a huge fan of French Soccer. If nothing fills the void of Setanta I will be very upset.

10. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Setanta Sports USA has updated its schedule website to replace Crystal Palace-Bristol City (which was postponed due to a frozen pitch) with...

... Derby County vs Scunthorpe United.

That should convince you that Setanta Sports North America Limited has no intention of paying the $2+ million for the EPL U.S. video sublicense from FOX Sports International for the rest of the 2009-2010 EPL season.

11. jdobber

jdobber New Member

Jan 8, 2010
    FSC has also updated their schedule, but not to replace the Wigan/Villa game with the Arsenal/Everton game, but to replace the postponed Liverpool/Spurs game

12. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    So what does this mean in the long term? As far as still being able to show 2-3 live EPL games each weekend (Setanta, that is).

13. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That they won't be.

14. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This weekend, there might not be 2-3 live EPL games to show!

15. kstuart

kstuart Member

Jul 13, 1999
    Northern California
    It means, as someone pointed out in another thread, that both Setanta USA and ESPN no longer have any EPL rights in the USA, until they negotiate directly with Fox Sports.

16. ovalball

ovalball New Member

Apr 10, 2008
    Beaufort, NC,
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't believe that is correct. ESPN's contract is with Fox and is still good. ESPN has nothing to do with Setanta.

17. ovalball

ovalball New Member

Apr 10, 2008
    Beaufort, NC,
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With all the cancellations, freeze ups, lock downs, etc. how on earth did West Brom and Forest play today? I watched the match live on Setanta-i.

18. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    That person was wrong.

During the first week of August, FSI repossessed the video rights in the U.S. and Caribbean to 48 matches for the 2009-2010 season from Setanta Sports North America.

FSI then executed two sublicensing agreements with ESPN, Inc. for the TV rights in the U.S. and Caribbean to 48 EPL matches in the 2009-2010 season last August.

The first agreement was for the Caribbean region where the 48 matches now air on ESPN Caribbean.

The 2nd agreement was for the U.S. market where the 48 matches air on ESPN2 U.S.

19. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Pitches with undersoil heating are playable despite the snow and ice.

The problem: the clubs have to convince the local police to work in icy conditions in order to keep the supporters from getting into trouble when they travel to and from the stadiums.

If the Bobbies don't want to work in the snow and ice, then a particular match has to be called off for the "safety" of the travelling supporters.

20. jefbal99

jefbal99 New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Lansing, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EPL games are back on the Setanta US schedule for Saturday and Sunday...

21. vansmack

vansmack New Member

Jan 14, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Ha! 145 posts about nothing???

22. jefbal99

jefbal99 New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Lansing, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats what the internet is for, wasting time ;)

23. djpower

djpower Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Victoria, Australia
    very interesting stuff I would love to know what has happened behind the scenes. There is a few possibilities but time will tell what just happened.

24. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Don't know yet whether the deal that got done on Friday afternoon (U.S. Time) to put Arsenal-Everton and West Ham-Wolves back on Setanta Sports USA (in the U.S. and Caribbean) is for this weekend only, or if a more comprehensive "acquisition/asset purchase" deal between FSI and Setanta Sports North America is as close to getting done as one trade publication is reporting:

http://www.multichannel.com/article/443249-Fox_Soccer_Nearing_Deal_For_Setanta_Sports_USA.php

25. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    What do you mean "nothing"?

There is something going on behind the scenes. Lawyers, contracts, and lots of portraits of Mr. Franklin are in play.

It should be obvious even to the most ignorant of idiots by now that there is no future (beyond May 2010) for the Setanta Sports USA TV channel business within the Setanta Sports North America Limited corporate entity.

The only drama left: whether FSI will purchase the channel or will simply repossess the EPL and UEFA CL sublicenses and let the channel die.

I still don't believe that purchasing the channel makes any sense for FSI.

Of course, one Mr. R. Murdoch will eventually make that decision.