Rumor: Fox to acquire Setanta Sports USA?

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by blackhornet, Jan 4, 2010.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He predicted long ago that MLS would fold and that the MFL would successfully apply to FIFA to put a team in LA. He also predicted that (then) FSW would be converted from soccer into a racing channel. :D

You know those economists about whom people say, he's predicted 8 of the last 3 recessions? huhe is like that...he always take the pessimistic side on any question of the soccer business in the US. ALWAYS. So if the bad news comes through, he's "right" and if the good news comes through he's "wrong."

But then, if he always is a pessimist, he's not really predicting.

One other thing is that he loooooves to announce/feign his insider status with opaque allusions sprinkled all over his posts.

1 person likes this.
  2. matty311

matty311 Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Has anyone actually heard anything from Setanta regarding losing these rights?? I would like to know what their plans are, and I would like to be able to make an informed decision on whether or not to hold on to my subscription. It seems kind of gutless and disrespectful to their subscribers to just act like nothing is going on and business is as usual.

3. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    LIVE or SDD EPL matches have disappeared completely from the schedule of Setanta Sports USA.

Furthermore, EPL and UEFA CL have been removed from the "soccer" page of the Setanta Sports USA website at http://www.setanta.com/us/Our-Sports/Soccer/

What more do you need to convince yourself that Setanta Sports USA did not pay the sublicense fee due to FSI on January 4, forcing FSI to repossess the EPL and UEFA CL video sublicenses? A singing telegram delivered to your house?

Some people can't read a "tell" even if it is served on a silver platter. Besides clueless investigators who work for the Security and Exchange Commission (SEC) who can't spot an insider stock or options trade or a ponzi scheme unless a blogger tips them off, that group appears to include soccer fans who live in a dream world...

4. matty311

matty311 Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I realize all these rights are gone. No one is arguing they have lost the rights. Im just curious how they will go about informing their subscribers of this fact. If someone didn't post this fact on here a few days ago, and if I didn't check this forum compulsively, then I would have probably thrown Setanta on this weekend and wondered wtf was going on. Having matches just disappear from their schedules without any mention of what happened on their website is poor in my opinion.

5. kstuart

kstuart Member

Jul 13, 1999
    Northern California
    None of the 6 Billion people will ever inform you of anything you need to know. You have to get out there and find it out yourself.

Human beings are born with instinctual competitive drives. The ones who were not competitive died out and did not reproduce and so we are descended only from the competitive ones. (This should not be hard to understand in a sports forum.)

Anyone (outside of your family and friends) who tells you something "for your benefit" is doing solely for their benefit in some way (such as increased ratings, profitability or votes).

Most of us here operate as friends, helping each other enjoy soccer.

6. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You were saying....? :D

7. matty311

matty311 Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I hear u, I just figured a business/consumer relationship would be the exception. It is quite dishonest, given the fact that most(what I would estimate for the record) people who drop $15 a month for Setanta do so on the assumption they will be receiving EPL and Champions League coverage. With both of these entities no longer part of the equation I would have thought(and maybe it is still forthcoming) some sort of explanation would be due, as opposed to a giant teabag in the mouth.

8. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Hey - bonus Championship coverage this weekend - score! :D

9. UnitedNut

UnitedNut Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Towson, MD USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am with you. I am just going to sit back and wait for some kind of official announcement before doing anything. Looks like we should know something before the end of this week or early next week.

10. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and when customers and business have a soured relationship, money is the arbitrator. Setanta screws us, we stop paying, Setanta goes bust. And we start a new relationship with FSC+ whatever that turns out to be.

11. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So here's a question. Back in 2004 when FSC had the rights to themselves, they'd put on 2-3 games a weekend and offer one (or 2) marquee matchups as PPV which would be replayed during the subsequent week. Someone also said they also offered some sort of season plan.

Given that FSC is now Nielsen rated and looking to jump up rungs of cable bundles, is it a possibility that they will ALWAYS have the best games on FSC now and perhaps offer all the rest via some other medium like foxsoccer.tv? espn360? FSC+?

I'm basically trying to rationalize my hope that Arsenal v Everton will be on my TV on Saturday.

12. ovalball

ovalball New Member

Apr 10, 2008
    Beaufort, NC,
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Setanta-i has announced that "UEFA Champions League is no longer available due to broadcast rights", but to get that information you have to go to the "Help" menu.

How appropriate.

13. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I hope to God we don't go back to the seasonal EPL on PPV package era.

14. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im pretty pissed as this allowed me to see every game Tottenham played last season and I could record as well. I know FSC will not play every game as it is now and spliting up the games between FSC and ESPN is going to burden us even more so in the wallet then the 15 for Setanta. If you get local cable you will not be able to get just the one FSC plus channel or whatever espn channel comes out. You will have to buy some sort of stupid package with tons of unwanted channels and if you have Dish or directv then you will have to upgrade your package. I liked the setup that was and now its all messed up.

Also Setanta have acted shitty by telling me last year or whenever the Ireland branch collapsed that they would be fine. Lies. The way that FSI and Setanta and all others that are involved in this are behaving is completely unfair toward us by not letting us know if we will be watching all the games this weekend. Tottenham play this week on FSC, but next they do not and I need to know if I have to cancel my sub to Setanta. Very upset that we still don't have any clue as to what is going on.

15. Onyewu Power Station

Jul 5, 2009
    Club:
    Everton FC
    i kinda hope we do. people loved to bitch about 15 for setanta. this will be way more fun.

16. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it may be simpler - just pay the season rate and you won't have to worry about setanta's business acumen

17. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish we could go back to the pre-"Onyewu Power Station" era. There were fewer trolls then.

1 person likes this.
  18. matty311

matty311 Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    That has been up there for a while. Setanta-i didn't have any champions league games on at all this year.

19. jleau

jleau New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    I think you're on the right track for the rest of this season. I just don't think they will get it settled by this weekend. I'm going for a month of Arsenal TV online until they get this sorted out. It's delayed but I gotta see the game.

Whatever the solution, it will only be short-term. The rights for next season haven't been awarded yet so we'll go through this again this summer.

20. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    For those of you looking for a telecast of Arsenal-Everton in the U.S. market, this is what we know as of Thursday at 2100 ET:

==

Of the 4 EPL matches FSI has repossessed from Setanta Sports USA this weekend (January 9-10), the only one that is scheduled for production at FSI in Los Angeles (as of Thursday at 2100 ET) is Arsenal-Everton, which will air live on FOX Sports Latin America North Cone (0900 Mexico City) and South Cone (1200 Buenos Aires).

(Wigan-Aston Villa is scheduled [as of Thursday at 2100 ET] for live broadcast on Saturday at 1000 ET on FOX Soccer Channel and FOX Sports en Espanol in the U.S. The match will also air on FOX Sports Latin America North cone and South Cone via tape-delay.)

==

As for the English-speaking islands in the Caribbean (which are served by Setanta Sports USA where available):

Neither ESPN Caribbean nor ESPN2 Caribbean have Arsenal-Everton listed on their schedules at espnmediazone.com (as of Thursday at 2100 ET).

If FSI were talking to ESPN, Inc. to sublicense Arsenal-Everton in both the U.S. and the Caribbean, then Arsenal-Everton would have shown up on the schedule of ESPN Caribbean or ESPN2 Caribbean by now (Thursday 2100 ET) because the video rights in the Caribbean aren't worth all that much money.

(When FSI sublicensed the Saturday 0745 ET and Monday 1500 ET EPL matches to ESPN, Inc. in August, FSI did the deal to place the Chelsea-Hull match on ESPN Caribbean at least 24 hours before FSI was able to complete the deal with ESPN2 US. The Chelsea-Hull match last August showed up on the schedule of ESPN Caribbean well in advance.)

SportsMax Jamaica still has Wigan-Aston Villa listed in the Saturday 10am ET slot [again, as of Thursday at 2100 ET]. As some of you may already know, SportsMax Jamaica routes EPL telecasts from FOX Soccer Channel (U.S.) straight through.

http://www.sportsmax.tv/schedules/Em...1229103315.pdf

==

Looks like the placement of Arsenal-Everton on a TV channel in the U.S. market will go down to the wire once again the same way the Chelsea-Hull City match did in August. Something has to be announced by Friday at 2100 ET/1800 PT at the latest.

==

FSI is NOT scheduled to produce the other 3 EPL matches (including the West Ham-Wolves early match on Sunday at 0830 ET) for the U.S., Caribbean, or Latin America (as of Thursday at 2100 ET).

21. IrishInKentucky

IrishInKentucky New Member

Aug 17, 2009
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Just wanted to make the point...
    Lara looked smokin hot tonight
    That is all:)

22. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    did anyone else find her pronunciation comically over the top?

i'm never happy

23. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    That's the natural course for the foreign soccer's TV coverage evolution in the US, so why would God prevents it?

Foreign league soccer, even as popular as the EPL, is niche content in this country. If you are offered a PPV package that you can watch your team 5-10 times, count your blessing. Prior to 2004-05, the package of 2 games/weekend (one 10:00 ET Saturday, one 11:00 ET Sunday) meant 5-6 EPL games left unavailable in the U.S. Imagine you are a Hull/Wigan/Wolves fan...

At the end of the day, it seems like having a Canadian DBS would still be a wise choice as it was back in 2000. Back then, I got the same games you folks got in the U.S. PPV package at a fraction of the price...

24. kstuart

kstuart Member

Jul 13, 1999
    Northern California
    The difference between the old PPV days and now is... streams...

25. SAFC Yank

SAFC Yank Member

May 15, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    I can imagine. In Sunderland's 19-point season of 2002-03, I think that after being on New Year's Day, they were on maybe twice the rest of the season.