Fox Soccer Channel in HD -- on the way?

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by tambo, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Globalusation

Globalusation New Member

May 17, 2006
    NY
    yeah it's part of a sports package on time warner for me

for $4 a month I get FS+HD, Goltv, big ten network, nbatv, nhlnetwork, and some others

2. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fios customers please don't expect FSC in HD anytime soon. Got the em from HQ recently.

3. ECU_SIMMS

ECU_SIMMS New Member

Oct 25, 2006
    got the em?

the guy on twitter said its a good bet it will happen in 2010...

4. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
    So what are the biggest remaining targets, then? Comcast, Cablevision and FiOS? Is that what we're basically down to?

5. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    May be this will clear the air. I sent an em to Fios and wanted to know, how soon they will be adding FSC HD to their HD lineup, the answer came and it said : no time soon.

6. tideman

tideman Member

Aug 11, 2007
    New York City
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FiOS "Twitter Guy" has been saying "soon" for months now concerning FSC HD so I would take what he says with many grains of salt as he is a genius of doublespeak if you read his responses to many of the customer questions posed to him. He is supposedly there to give information and troubleshoot but then gives responses like "the bosses will shoot me if I give out any information or dates concerning <insert topic here>".

I hope this time it is true that it will be coming sometime in 2010, but FiOS seems to be more concerned with new "widgets" and "apps" such as what was mentioned in last week's press release regarding program streaming on the iPad and set top upgrades than offering additional HD content at this point.

7. ECU_SIMMS

ECU_SIMMS New Member

Oct 25, 2006
    email? ok we are getting some where. So the official response from a fios employee was "no time soon". Ok well that contradicts the twitter guy. There waiting on there new IP network to be setup for content other then VOD. I think that is the hold up. Again the twitter guy has not given specific dates however he has confirmed that

a)it is coming

and

b)it is a good bet that it will happen 2010

he has said he knows nothing about goltv comming, so if FSC was not comming any time "soon" then why in the heck would he not be as truthful as he is about goltv?

i think the email you received is from someone not in the know...

8. ECU_SIMMS

ECU_SIMMS New Member

Oct 25, 2006
    they are in the process of upgrading there equipment.. that is how i understand it. if he gives a date and they dont meet it, how pissed off are you going to be then. I can understand why he cannot release dates...

9. thurd

thurd New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Melrose, MA
    Anything on Comast?

10. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Anyone notice how the concacaf Champions League matches arent given in HD?

What gives? I can understand teams outside of the US, but right now its seattle vs. Monterrey, and the game is in SD 4:3.....

11. RD84

RD84 Member

Mar 6, 2008
    Tacoma
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I would believe that the reason is the ratings don't warrant the expense. These aren't games produced by FSC, they're produced by whoever Concacaf contracted to do camerawork at the games. Note how the announcers aren't even at the games (be they Telefutura/Galavision announcers or FSC announcers)

12. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Ahhhh.... makes sesne. Thanks for clearing that up for me. :)

13. jefbal99

jefbal99 New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Lansing, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GolTV Canada did TFCs Match Day 1 home game in HD.

Peeps at the Crew game at CCS for Match Day 1 said there was only one truck there and it said HD on the side...

14. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I forget if it was here or on the Crew forum, but someone said that since FSC doesn't actually produce the games, it's up to the production company to decide if they want to do HD or not. Apparently both FSC's guys and the Spanish broadcasters were in their respective studios.

I'm guessing they can still send an HD truck, but not actually broadcast anything in HD.

15. jefbal99

jefbal99 New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Lansing, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is all very true, for the mickey mouse way CONCACAF runs everything, it doesn't surprise me that its SD. Cheap, corrupt bastards

16. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Even if the production were in SD, the executive producer can choose the aspect ratio.

CONCACAF still uses the 4:3 aspect ratio.

WPS (women's pro league) now uses the widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio for its FSC weekly broadcasts even though the broadcasts are produced in SD (FSC does NOT put up the letters "HD" next to the FSC "bug".)

We'll know what the NSCAA (college) package on FSC will look like on Friday. If I were to guess, I would guess 16:9 SD.

17. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Interesting on both counts. I can see 4:3 for the CCL in that 16:9 and HD might not be that widespread outside North America yet- of course, that accounts for so much of the probable viewing audience that you could probably still justify 16:9.

And for 16:9 SD for WPS/college, FOX is moving towards 16:9 sports production as a standard (with letterboxing for 4:3 TVs), and this would be a sign of how serious they are about completing that transition in the next 1-2 years.

ESPN and everyone else will probably follow suit eventually.

18. adkinsjm

adkinsjm Member

Apr 9, 2005
    FOX doesn't even send an SD feed to cable and satellite providers for its RSN feeds anymore. They just send a receiver that transcodes everything on the fly.

19. Cpt_K

Cpt_K Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Damn I just read on another forum that Brighthouse Orlando is adding GOL TV, Fox Sports Ohio, Fox Sports Detroit, Fox Sports Wisconsin, Prime Ticket, Sports South, and NESN. All of them will be in HD except NESN. Brighthouse Orlando already has FSC HD. We still haven't heard if Brighthouse Tampa will get any of the channels above. Brighthouse Orlando added FSC HD last month.

When did cable companies start carrying RSNs outside of the local areas like this? As a native Detroiter I would love to have FSD even though I realize that the live Wings, Pistons, and Tigers games will be blacked out. Do they also black out the late night or next day replays for out of market cable companies or will customers get those games on tape? Just having the ability to watch all of the auxiliary team programming is good enough for me.

Hopefully, Brighthouse in Tampa will get a HD/Channel upgrade as the last one we got was back in May when we got FS+ in SD and HD.

http://www.tampahdtv.com/tpahd-vb/showthread.php?t=30308

20. simont

simont Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted this question on the Verizon fios face book page

I was reading that fios will be adding fox soccer hd and bbc hd is it True.

Well this is the Answer I got from them.

"Hi Simon, we are very well aware that those 2 channels are in high demand from our customers. And while many efforts are being made to acquire those channels I am not aware that they will be at this time. A lot of our customers go to this link to suggest things to us that will make their experience better I wish I had a definate answer for you..sorry.

If you are a verizon custmer and you are on face book go on ther page and start posting on the wall that you warnt fox soccer hd.

21. jefbal99

jefbal99 New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Lansing, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends on the sport, MLB and NBA are blacked out, along with NFL Preseason replays. NHL doesn't have to be blacked out, but some channels still do.

22. 7spencer7

7spencer7 Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Outside Boston
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NHL definitely does have to be blacked out. Otherwise the NHL pay per view package would be worthless. Typically the delayed repeats of games will also be blacked out (and that's all sports, not just NHL)

23. jefbal99

jefbal99 New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Lansing, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had CI last year, however, in previous years I've watched NESN, MSG, etc reruns of NHL games. The live airings are always blacked out, but the replays were clear...

24. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My experience with AT&T U-Verse has been that NHL and (I think) NBA replays are not blacked out, whereas I think MLB replays are.

25. R1PP

R1PP Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Swarthmore, PA
    Try this link too..

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Share-Your-Ideas-with-Verizon/Soccer/idi-p/233315

that was suggest by the FiOS guy on twitter. if we could possibly get 100 votes I think that would really help send a loud message.