The MLS Stadium Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by fairfax4dc, May 20, 2016.

1. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    I would imagine so, or at least from what I am seeing on the stadium info. I know because of the highway they can not do “light shows” say if the Loons score or “moving” lights.

2. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    I started this thread but haven't been back for a while. Having been to opening night at Audi Field and now seeing the Minny photos I have a better understanding of the importance of a stadium iftting in with it's surroundings. Allianz Field probably looks great in it's location but that alien spaceship look doesn't make it downtown. Audi reminds me of Arsenal's old Highbury stadium, where you could leave a pub, wander down the street, find a football stadium..... and get your ass kicked if wearing the wrong colors.

TrueCrew and Stupid_American repped this.
  3. Papillon Soo Soo

Jan 17, 2012

Allianz Field is actually tucked into a neighborhood quite well it just so happens one of the four edges is a freeway and that's the vantagepoint from where those pictures are being taken (and the neighborhood picks right back up on the other side of the freeway cut). I used to live in the Twin Cities and I think the stadium is in an excellent location. There are two commercial corridors intersecting near the stadium and lots of residential in close proximity. Neighborhood is walkable and has good mobility options.

I haven't been to Buzzard Point but my impression is there isn't much adjacent to the stadium at the moment (military facility, power substation and assorted brownfields), but I see lots of cranes so that will of course change soon.

don gagliardi repped this.
  4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    There's not really brownfield around Audi Field. Audi Field was built on brownfield. Two office buildings (most recently a Coast Guard building and a DHS building) on the waterfront in the area will be renovated and transformed into condos/apartments. Another condo building is in early phase of construction. United owns the land immediately to the east of the stadium. The parking lot to the south of the venue is Akridge property that is the farthest from construction although that may begin later this year or next year. A new bridge across the river along with a traffic circle are currently being built so that is much the area to the east that is currently inaccessible. More buildings will go up there in a couple of years when the area is no longer closed for bridge construction. Any cranes you would see are bridge construction or closer to Nats Ballpark (2-3 blocks away).

5. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Spot on. The area surrounding Audi Field will be jammed with condos, offices, and retail shortly. Watching development in Southwest is like watching a tidal wave. It started East of the baseball stadium and has been rapidly heading West to the soccer stadium.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  6. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    That's interesting info aout the location of Allianz Field. I only know it from the virtual views and that stadium cam with the liquor store in the foreground. My impression of stadiums with wraps is that they look best from distance.

7. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Article in the Washington Post on the stadium last week said that if they'd tried to buy the land today that it would be too expensive. Turns out It's going to work out well for the soon to sell owners.

8. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Everyone knew it would be a huge ROI. The problems for any investor were the existing businesses and conditions. The area was industrial. It is a consolidation of a few plots with different owners as well as a piece of Akridge land. There was a junk yard and a salt dome there. Any land with those limitations isn't worth a lot. DC bought the land, cleaned it up and hooked up the rest of the infrastructure for and around the site. All of the land in that area is owned by large developers.

9. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    I found this today, four different color seats.

10. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    This is from the Minnesota United stadium? Based on the lack of any aisle and on the background with its lack of any construction this looks like a display of the various seat colors. And maybe of the seat installation process. It looks to me like those seats can be moved along the rail. Interesting.

firefan2001 repped this.
  11. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That looks like a mock up/display/demo setup.

BalanceUT repped this.
  12. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure why we would be using either blue or red seats...

13. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    That doesn't seem like the right shade of blue but maybe they are incorporating the eye of the loon.

BalanceUT, jaykoz3 and Bluecat82 repped this.
  14. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winner! I think you've got it!

15. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Could it be the fruit of the loon?

ElJefe, Len and Dead Fingers repped this.
  16. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DCYC repped this.
  17. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the explanation:

A mock up of the chairs to be installed at the Minnesota United Allianz Field in Saint Paul on Thursday, May 3, 2018. The chairs are notable for being on a rail system that will allow adjustment of density of seating as desired. (John Autey / Pioneer Press)

18. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In one of the clips show the stadium they already installed blue seats, but in the clip they looks like sky blue. In the Twin Cities article they loo darker.

https://www.mnufc.com/post/2018/07/19/best-seats-house
    30 second mark.

19. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn - that was going to be my Shark Tank invention!

20. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The story says they are going to be black, grey and blue.

21. DCYC

DCYC Member

Chivas, DC United, Reno 1868
    Mar 24, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    First world problems

22. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bluecat82 repped this.
  24. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Bluecat82 repped this.
  25. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that I know of...hopefully our extended road trip at the start of the season is no longer (1-2 games) than it usually is...