The MLS Stadium Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by fairfax4dc, May 20, 2016.

1. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The north stands behind the goal. There are two sections of bleachers. The renderings and seat viewer show at least three.

The strangest thing about a soccer venue in the US in 2018 being designed for bleachers was that they revisited the section during the design-build process and the decision was not a safer standing area or more accommodations for supporters or making an area that is more friendly for a variety of events... Another section was converted to regular seating as the supporter section was reduced again.

2. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    I see now. The red sections on the north side. The live web cam shows that it is going to be only 2 sections of bleachers. Interesting. I think it has been awhile since any MLS stadiums were built with bleachers. Especially this many. There may be a few that have a couple rows on the stage or something.
    I now a lot of people have complained about the size and cheapness of Audi Field. I think it looks very unique and like a cool place to watch a soccer game. I like having some of the stadiums that don't fit the cookie cutter feel.
    The one thing I do think is odd is how short the roof span is. I really don't understand the point of putting a roof up that is clearly not going to shield the fans from rain or sun.

3. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    The angle on the construction camera is a little tricky. All, but the first 2 rows are 90 degrees below a roof. It's actually pretty good considering how steep the stands are. You need to have some sunlight for the grass. Windy days are either your friend or your enemy.

Get a better sense here --> http://audifield.io-media.com/web/index.html#

4. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    Based on what I am seeing it doesn't look like the portions I indicate below will have any sort of covering. If so maybe just more than half of the rows are 90 degrees below the covering.
    dc.JPG

5. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    The FO has said that will be some sort of clear glass/plastic to allow sun, but block rain. They are not yet installed so I understand your skepticism.

6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    It will be just like Chicago and San Jose.

7. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    My understanding is San Jose said the same thing and to my knowledge they are still not covered with any material. Maybe someone from San Jose can let us know. I really for the life of me, cannot understand building a roof structure and leaving a 3rd of it open with no covering. If it is a cost thing, then why not just build the roof a 3rd smaller?
    [​IMG]

8. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Aesthetics?

9. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    how would covering those sections with a clear material change the aesthetics?
    It would look exactly the same but actually serve a function too.

10. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The aesthetics would remain unchanged. It would look exactly the same but cost more to include (and to maintain) the clear panels, so they were ultimately omitted.

My guess is the stadium roof was designed a certain way, including with clear panels, and then cost-engineered to reduce the overall price tag. The panels are not the only missing element in the stadium design.

Honore de Ballsac and NashSC repped this.
  11. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    Haha. this brings us back to exactly my point. Thanks. So I'll state it again.
    Why spend the money to built the roof a 3rd bigger but not cover with a material? Why not just make the roof a 3rd smaller and save even more money?

12. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends when they were omitted. If they were omitted after the design phase was completed and they were into the construction phase, than the cost to redesign a smaller roof may have cost more than it was worth.

sitruc repped this.
  13. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe Chicago has nothing covering the end of the roof, I believe it would cost $250,000 to install and they haven't yet.

14. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Yup somebody broke in.

16. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Yeah. That was the point. Chicago and San Jose were both designed to have material on the entire canopy. That was one of the first things cut. I have no idea if they're actually going to install it in DC as they have said they will. Does San Jose even have an exterior skin? I remember a year or so into the stadium being completed they even had a couple of samples up.

17. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    There remains no exterior covering on Avaya, to the chagrin of some fans. Doubtless that was another cost-cutting measure.

Call me an apologist, but I prefer that the stadium remain without exterior cladding. The several million dollars saved could be invested elsewhere in the facility.

edcrocker repped this.
  18. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also the lights are on the edge of the roof frame, so it would have required a redesign of not only the structure but also of the illumination system.

19. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Totally understand. That's why I understand your skepticism. I still love Avaya though.

don gagliardi repped this.
  20. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol, invested elsewhere, that's a good one.

xbhaskarx, jayd8888, Goodsport and 2 others repped this.
  21. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Don, can you post that picture of our training facility? We need to film one of those fancy video tours of it, like LAFC, Atlanta, TFC, NYC and Philly. Some bumping EDM, Tommy Thompson with a push mower, polishing the chain link fence and the little sign that says Quakes Training Facility. Tommy Thompson polishing the little Ace hardware lock on the fence, pausing to watch the Sounders bus roll in...

22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    . . . combined have won fewer MLS Cups (1) than the Quakes (2).

23. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    How silly.

sitruc repped this.
  24. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So are you wearing your DC or your LAFC gear tonight? How about your kids?

25. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC For me - LAFC for Desmond. I only have two seats.

mbar repped this.