The MLS Stadium Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by fairfax4dc, May 20, 2016.

1. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    -------------------
    Mine over the years was the opposite logic. I did all the old places before the MLS teams moved to new places. Thus been to Old Soldier, Old Cotton Bowl, Old Mile High, Old Meadowlands. etc...then came back second time for newer places. Craziest 2 trips were a Wed in Dallas, Fri in Orlando and Sunday in Houston 2 years ago and I think the year before that was a Wed in SLC , Fri in Phili, Sun in Columbus. Plenty of air miles used, minimized hotels- made sure they had free breakfast and as much public transit as possible to avoid rental cars. If I had to rent a car, Uber to a non-airport location (city location) to avoid the ton of airport taxes. Took 20 years though !

Len and Boloni86 repped this.
  2. Dune

Dune Member

Feb 10, 1999
    Making massive assumptions, pretty strong words from a guy who just delivered this:
    and this:
    Do you have some sort of source for these IMO massive assumptions?
    The Yankees are part owners of New York City FC and they make money out of every home game NYCFC plays.

3. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    No assumptions. The original plan/agreement was for 3 years.
    https://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/04/...o-play-at-yankee-stadium-for-three-years.227/

4. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    --------------------
    So, light rail was shut for construction and running shuttle buses.
    I ended up taking Uber from the hotel to an offsite car rental agency.
    Drove by the Twins, Vikings and Wilds stadium and even took a trip (way , way out to Blaine) to see the NSC
    Ending up at UMinn 3 hours before game to find parking and walk around campus
    -
    Then, I-35W was shut down after the game for construction. Thank god for a GPS on my phone.
    -
    I guess its true, only 2 seasons in Minnesota, construction and winter !

RafaLarios repped this.
  5. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Any new pix? LAFC? Cloud City?

firefan2001 repped this.
  6. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Is it even possible to consider LAFC a complete success if they sellout every single game? That stadium is so small...

mbar and Mr.Bill repped this.
  7. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes they probably should have built in the 25,000-27,000 range, but 22,000 isn't small.

8. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    It's not small, but they have a stadium right next to downtown in a giant city, with its own subway stop, and they enter the league in a post Atlanta world...

Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  9. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    We're also talking about the 2nd SSS in the city. Combined there'll be 49,000 available MLS seats in LA. Could there be a few more? Sure ... But not exactly inadequate. Let's see LAFC put up 5 years of consecutive sellouts and I'm pretty sure there'll be enough money to fund an expansion.

10. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    Gotta tarp a few of those off for the NFL though.

11. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been by several times over the period of construction. My first feeling is its a downsized NFL stadium with so many seating options. So we should not be concerned about capacity if all the $$$upscale$$seating$$$option$$$ are pretty much sold out, so from a revenue standpoint, they could be one of the tops in the league. The combination of the stacked stands with roofing over a lower field should make for a pretty intense home field advantage if the team on the field is competitive.

13. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Yeah but I do hate the "expensive boutique" model for MLS - especially teams looking for fans and wide awareness.

You could point to Portland as an example of a small stadium with a long line for tickets and major league relevance in their market, but that was already building when they had a minor league team and tons of inexpensive seats.

14. BookerT

BookerT Member

Mar 27, 2007
    NC
    Do we know if BoC Stadium is being built in a manner that would allow for future expansion?

I would have expected 30k+ given the ownership group’s apparent ambition and size of the market. Maybe they are constrained by the size of the site.

15. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    From reading about the LAFC stadium situation, I believe it was constrained by trying to fast track permits for the stadium to get things moving along more quickly. I don't know the answer to your first question.

16. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    SSSHHH!!

I'm studying.

17. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually speaking of the NFL... that’s a very good reason why LAFC probably didn’t go for slightly bigger... there’s no need.Their stadium is literally next door to a 90,000 seat behemoth of a stadium which is about to undergo a massive renovation for the 2024 Olympics. On the rare occasions they need a bigger venue, they can always hit up the neighbors.

18. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True but the Timbers are also one of two pro teams in their town. LAFC will be the 10th top flight team in their town. Never mind the 5 minor league teams in the extended market, the two massive universities and close to a dozen smaller ones.

19. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They also have 14,000 season ticket deposits, have sold out all their suites, boxes, and club seats... So.. Not going to worry about LAFC.

firefan2001 repped this.
  20. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lancaster FC and firefan2001 repped this.
  22. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  23. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn't look like it's expandable.

24. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    It's almost as though weekly tours shouldn't be a random fan taking photos with their phone through fences while climbing on things around the construction site. :x3:

25. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. But groundhogs?

sitruc repped this.