The MLS Stadium Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by fairfax4dc, May 20, 2016.

1. Lancaster FC

Lancaster FC Member+

Oct 2, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ironically it tells you how far we have come when you realize Columbus had the first SSS, and in 2018 will have one of the worst stadium deals/situations in the league.

In 2019 Mapfre stadium will be 20 years old!

2. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Banc of California Stadium is going up FAST! I can't believe the progress.

Lancaster FC and athletics68 repped this.
  3. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not like they have a lot of time left. It has to be ready in approximately 6 months.

4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LAFC would hardly be the first team to have to start on the road while their stadium was completed.

(I think DSG Park was the first stadium to be fully complete and host MLS First Kick the year it opened)

5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Meanwhile in DC the FO says June while construction workers say July and rumors say August.

6. blacktide

blacktide Member

Feb 25, 1999
    It is moving fast! DC's stadium also is starting to take shape and Minnesota's stadium site seems to be humming with activity.

This got me thinking about how amazing it is to see how many of the teams in the league have their own homes. I think the league has three categories of teams, those with their own SSS, those that share but have primary control, and those that are secondary tenants. (I may have missed some minor secondary tenants in the Own SSS list).

What is ultimately fascinating to me is how far the league has come since the first SSS in Columbus was built in 1999.

Apologies if this list is redundant to earlier posts, I didn't read the whole thread.

Own SSS

Chicago
    Colorado
    Columbus
    DC (once stadium is finished)
    Dallas
    Houston
    LAFC (once stadium is finished)
    Minnesota (once stadium is finished)
    Montreal
    New York RB
    Orlando
    Philadelphia
    RSL
    San Jose
    Sporting KC

Share with primary control (tenant)

LA Galaxy (LA Chargers)
    Portland (Portland State football)
    Toronto (Argonauts)
    Vancouver (BC Lions)

Secondary tenants (primary team)

Atlanta (Falcons)
    New England (Patriots)
    NYCFC (Yankees)
    Seattle (Seahawks)

7. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Even these situations are pretty darn good as they share ownership with the primary tenant. The exact opposite of every team back in 1996. Biggest problem here is field turf but I suppose, as problems go, that's not the end of the world.

8. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    I didn't realize whitecaps were the primary tenant. Is that correct?

Like said above, I think it needs to be highlighted that the bottom list of secondary tenants all get revenue from concessions, parking and advertising because they have owners or co-owners that control the stadium. This is key. As far as the league is concerned they don't seem to see this any differently than the SSS teams. Considering one of the most recent expansion teams falls in this category.

When Saturday Comes repped this.
  9. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you sure on Vancouver? I'm pretty sure PavCo has primary control of BC Place, not the Whitecaps. The Caps are just a tenant like the BC Lions.

10. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends on your definition of primary tenant. If you mean someone that gets non-game day revenue from the stadium, then no. BC Place doesn't have a primary tenant. BC Place is run by a crown corporation and the Whitecaps "lease" their dates from the crown corporation.

athletics68 and whiteonrice04 repped this.
  11. blacktide

blacktide Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Not 100% sure on Vancouver, maybe they are their own category of equal co-tenants?

12. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. But co-tenants or someone else's tenant, they're in the same boat. The Whitecaps don't control stadium revenues. In fact by the measures we're using above they'd be in a fourth worst category in that they're a simple tenant with no revenue control not unlike many MLS 1.0 teams were in other ownership group's NFL, city owned stadium, or university owned NCAA stadiums where the other owners NFL team, the city or the university controlled revenue.

Portland and Toronto, while in publicly owned stadiums, control the revenue streams directly so it operationally isn't much different than owning the stadium outright. (I'd put LAG in the first category too since they own Stub Hub Center and the Chargers are merely a short term tenant who is paying them to play there).

And the remaining category, the Secondary Tenant category, is filled entirely with teams, ATL, NE, NYCFC, and SEA whose owners are also owners of the primary tenant with revenue control, so the MLS side have indirect control of all revenues as well.

13. blacktide

blacktide Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Agreed about the revenue control, which is very important. One big difference though is scheduling. As we've seen with NYCFC, these teams can get pushed out and have less ideal dates for games.

14. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Annoying true... but revenue control is the first and foremost important thing when it comes to stadium situations. Which is why Vancouver is soon to be in the worst or nearly the worst situation in MLS.

Its why you've seen the Revs stay in what for fans in particular is a less than ideal situation in Foxboro over one of the other temporary situations closer to Boston that would be vastly superior for fans. The Revs control their own destiny in Foxboro thanks to the Kraft family and Pats.

15. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I might create a category of financially challenged teams where Chicago and Columbus could reside. Neither team is making the money in their stadiums that they could be under better circumstances. I'm not privy to the details, but I've read here that Columbus is missing on premium seating/suite opportunities and Chicago has an issue with the town losing money.

16. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Portland State is hardly the "secondary tenant". It barely interferes with the Timbers scheduling. I can think of a couple other teams with more of an impact.

Kejsare repped this.
  18. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Crew (Precourt) make some pretty good money on other events at the stadium. Rock on the Range every year, for instance.

19. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    There are two cameras that update just about every 10 minutes during daylight hours.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Honore de Ballsac, Lancaster FC and Len repped this.
  20. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Stupid_American

Stupid_American Member+

Jan 8, 2003
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A bit off-topic, but...

The City of Albuquerque recently completed a feasibility study in connection with a downtown 10k SSS that would host the Albuquerque Sol FC. It contained some interesting financials and revenue estimates for USL stadiums (and pro soccer in general). These types of studies tend to provide the most transparent look we get for projects like this, so I thought this group might find it interesting.

LINK to Stadium Feasibility Study.

Bluecat82, jayd8888, Dignan and 2 others repped this.
  22. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any pics of Minnesota United stadium?

23. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Sounders and Seahawks were co-tenants.

24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honore de Ballsac repped this.