The MLS Stadium Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by fairfax4dc, May 20, 2016.

1. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    University of Phoenix Stadium does have a retractable roof.

edcrocker and whiteonrice04 repped this.
  2. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    Oops :)

3. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see I hit post on accident.. but anyways... the bigger European clubs have grow lights on wheels and dual purpose stadium lights that also act like grow lights. This allows them to have the mostly enclosed stadiums thay they have and still keep a grass field. I would think it could be used on an indoor stadium as well.. but.. of course.. cost

IMG_0402.JPG

edcrocker and whiteonrice04 repped this.
  4. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    There is an MLS stadium that uses grow lights. I think it is red bull arena.

Lancaster FC repped this.
  5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Toronto has them.

6. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    Maybe a threrad should be started comparing and contrasting the three MLS big, shared stadiums - Seattle, Vacncouver and Atlanta (it would be cruel to include New England). There are probably a lot of issues around how to adapt a big multi-use facility for soccer. I'm not trying to diss those big venues - it's just that in comparing small SSS stadiums we don't focus much on retractable roofs or the convention business.

7. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    this post interested me...and not trying to be confrontational...but where in Europe have they done it successfully?

Ajax Arena has a roof and grass.....and the only complaint that stadium has had since inception has been the quality of its grass pitch which has had to be replaced on more than one ocassion.

GelreDome in Arnhem has a retractable roof and I don't think they have had quite the problems they have in Amsterdam but that is because they went with the much more expensive solution of also having the retractable/sliding pitch.....not feasible (i think) in Atlanta.

Cardiff's Millenium stadium closes and had a horrible time with pitch conditions for its first 15 or so years (they opted not to have a sliding pitch but went the pallet route) and they converted to Desso a few years ago....not sure if that is working out (Wembley has had issues with Desso but their roof does not close so may not be comparable).

You are right...all the solutions are expensive but of these 3 (the only ones i know anything about) only the very most expensive one has produced satisfactory results.....and that one does not seem feasible in Atlanta at all.

blacksun repped this.
  8. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Several hours later I finished the train of thought. :)

9. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yeah....I don't think grow lights in a fully enclosed stadium do the job...they are used extensively in a partially closed environment (where there is natural light but it is impaired/impeded by seating cover) to augment the natural light and (here in Toronto) early in the season when we may not be the sunniest warmest place) but where there is a full roof I just don't think it is enough to do the job.....are there places (again honest question) that have gone the full roof and grass way?

10. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    Atlanta won't be fully enclosed. Part of the roof is retractable.

11. Mr.Bill

Mr.Bill Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Fargo
    Ajax stadium turf looks like crap when your there. Season ticket holder next to me said they constantly replace the grass field.

TOareaFan repped this.
  12. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    As are Amsterdam and Cardiff....both have had historical turf problems.

One of the problems with retractable roof stadiums is that when they are not in use which, lets face it, for all stadiums is the majority of the hours in a day...the roof is closed....so unlike open air stadiums, when the grass is in recovery mode (in between events) it is not getting natural light.

13. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    Sure I get but also the atlanta roof is mostly translucent. But your point still stands.

14. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    What's the current status of Minnesota's stadium? I haven't heard much lately.

15. artml

artml Member

Liverpool FC
    Ukraine
    Jul 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Apparently they are still waiting for the ground to thaw.

Scorpion26 repped this.
  16. frankieg73

frankieg73 Member

New England Revolution
    Portugal
    Apr 8, 2001
    St. Petersburg, FL (not my choice)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The Toronto Blue Jays have talked about adding grass to SkyDome in the next few years, but I am very skeptical. With their weather, a field surface that lacks any drainage, and a thick concrete roof that, when fully retracted, still throws shade on part of the outfield, I don't see how it will happen.

17. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    they have pretty much given up on the idea already.

18. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gross why would anybody want to live in a place like that. ;)

19. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #694 morrissey, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 10, 2017
  20. Absolut Fire

Absolut Fire Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I drive by the stadium site fairly often. The utility company has done some prep work and this week the stadium builder put up the construction barricades. MNUFC is hoping to start the real work in June. The team doesnt need the tax breaks to start construction but it is a slight gamble to start without it signed into law. Right now the (D) Governor and (R) House & Senate are arguing over the state budget bill which the tax breaks are a minuscule part of. They have till May 22 to agree. If they dont I think the MN legislature can go into overtime till July 1 if not, government shut down for the state of MN.

crew2112 and sitruc repped this.
  21. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like the newest cam (as of Today) is a "Spotlight" cam and will shift focus to various places in the construction at different zoom levels. The other cams seems locked off at the original view.

https://webcampub.multivista.com/in...width=748&height=427&background=white

james

22. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    #697 triplet1, May 15, 2017
    Last edited: May 15, 2017
    There is some parcel swapping going on that has complicated the transaction, but we should be getting close to the time when more of the site clearing work should begin.

Here's a brief overview of where I understand we are:

As has been widely reported, the stadium is to be built on a parcel in St. Paul on what was once the old "bus barn." That's been locked up for some time now as it was owned by the Met Council -- meaning it was public land. If the stadium just occupied this parcel, they would be good to go, but the final (or rather, the "real") plan shifts the stadium to a north/south orientation. To do that, they need a couple of acres currently occupied by a Rainbow Foods grocery store. As part of the planned redevelopment surrounding the site, that store is to be demolished for the stadium. Not only is the store currently owned by someone else, SuperValu, which operates Rainbow Foods and leases the building, wasn't anxious to give up the grocery store location either. The St. Paul Port Authority has now stepped in and is basically controlling the redevelopment now, so they should get it sorted pretty quickly. (The Port Authority is the major municipal redevelopment arm of St. Paul.) The original hope was to demolish the grocery store tomorrow, which seems unlikely but I haven't been by the site for awhile.

Here's a good story that shows the new site plan:

http://fiftyfive.one/2017/02/minnesota-united-soccer-stadium-meeting-reveals-signs-progress/

I think if push came to shove, the stadium would fit on the bus barn site alone, but this is a better plan IMO. Prior to the Port Authority's involvement, last December McGuire noted they could do it either way though:

"McGuire opened the door to a possible east-west configuration in the event that he can’t strike a deal with RD Management. That would allow him to avoid negotiations with the real estate firm and just build on a bus barn site owned by Metro Transit.

“We have looked at a number of options and that’s certainly a possibility,” McGuire said. “That’s not preferred. Obviously, this is not just about the stadium, this is about advancing an entire community in terms of a lot of redevelopment and additions, and it works best when it’s north-south.”"

http://www.bizjournals.com/twinciti...a-united-breaks-ground-on-soccer-stadium.html

Hopefully they will get it moving soon.

jayd8888 repped this.
  23. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Zoidberg repped this.
  24. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Yeah, Flash is verboten in my technical whereabouts. Would anyone be willing to post some freeze frames?

profiled repped this.
  25. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tried earlier but cannot upload them from my computer directly into BS. I don't have a place that is open to upload them to.

Does someone have a suggestion because I have the freeze frames.

james