The MLS Stadium Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by fairfax4dc, May 20, 2016.

1. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I tend not to judge a stadium until I have been in it.......so I would still rate RB as the best MLS stadium I have been in....been in other good ones...but RB is still my fave of the ones I have seen in person.....a couple that I am looking forward to that might test it are the new one in Orlando and Portland's looks fine.

2. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Stubhub Center is probably going to be 30k, at least until the Chargers leave.

3. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BMO Field is not a soccer-specific stadium anymore. It's become a Canadian football stadium.

4. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    Guess that means stub hub is an NFL stadium now

5. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Columbus gets around to building a new stadium (and I do believe we will because of the restrictive, long term fairgrounds lease we will have to re-sign).....im hoping for something similar to Red Bull Arena. I feel like most of the newer stadiums being built have more of a English influence (which is badass) but RBA feels like a Bundesliga stadium to me and I think that fits the Crews whole image and new branding in my opinion.

Bluecat82 repped this.
  6. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
  7. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    triplet1 repped this.
  8. AeroNaught

AeroNaught Member+

Atlanta United
    Feb 14, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And sucks for the "lucky" few that aren't covered by the roof; I hope they got some kind of discount on their season tickets...overall though gets a :thumbsup: from me.

9. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    That's a good point. Stadiums that provide a great experience for the fans in person don't always televise well, and vice versa.

whiteonrice04 repped this.
  10. Leondecollao

Leondecollao Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Shouldn't be an issue. I expect every game to be a sell-out this year and there won't be too many amenities to keep folks away from their seats.

11. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    Many of Houston's games are "sell-outs" or near sell-outs also. That has never stopped the seats close to the action from being empty ;)

12. Leondecollao

Leondecollao Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    There won't be a need for quotations around the words sell-outs for OCSC. No-shows should be pretty minimal as well, at least this year.

13. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    People like to sit higher up? Why?

14. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    But the Argonauts plan on staying at BMO longer than the Chargers plan on staying at Stub Hub.

15. CAllen91

CAllen91 Member

Atlanta United
    Oct 23, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better sight lines. From my seat on the front row of the 2nd deck I can see more of the field and from a much better angle than the lower bowl.

For example when I went to the US-Mexico game and was behind the goal I couldn't see a thing happening on the other half of the field. Don't have that problem if I'm a little higher up.

JasonMa repped this.
  16. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I won't sit lower than the 15th row of a well designed soccer stadium. My 16th row at midfield seats at BMO offer the perfect view of entire pitch......the further from midfield I get, the higher up in rows I want to be.

17. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    I think in Houston's case it isn't people sitting up higher, it is people not coming. Tickets distributed tends to be a lot higher than butts in the seats in Houston. Disclaimer: this is all from watchting the games on TV/streaming. From TV it usually appears Houston doesn't have near the turnout they report. It used to be this way pretty much league wide but now Houston seems to be lone hold out.

18. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I always thought that it was because they chose to build so many of their premium/club seats so close to the field.....Toronto has too but unlike Houston, you can only watch the match if you leave the club...whereas in Houston I got the impression that you could watch the match from the club (ie. you could see the live action from the club unlike Toronto).

19. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    The rest of the stands are often as equally not full so I am not sure.

20. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    That is exactly right. Except that "Houston doesn't have near the turnout they report" is incorrect. They are not reporting turnout, they are reporting tickets distributed. I don't know if even that is correct. Last year was terrible in terms of attendance but in 2015 there were games where the "Sold Out" signs were up at the box office windows, a sell-out was announced, and the stadium was still pretty empty. I guess they could have been lying and actually had tickets they just didn't want to sell so they could say it was a sell-out but I think the percentage of people using tickets they have is just low for a lot of games.

A big factor in those lower bowl seats on the sidelines is that they are corporate sales. Companies buy a bunch and then don't use them. That is still a ticket distributed.

Boloni86 and whiteonrice04 repped this.
  21. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    yes. I understand it is "tickets distributed"
    In Houston tickets distributed appears to be much less than butts in the seats when compared to most other teams.

22. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    That is true for the club seats on the west sidelines in Houston. Those people have access to a club that overlooks the field. On the east side, which is the TV side, that club does not have sight of the field. But that is the side where people are looking into the sun for some games and is definitely hotter. That is probably a factor as well.

23. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    If you understand that, then don't say the "turnout that they report."

whiteonrice04 repped this.
  24. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    Point taken.
    I used bad wording.
    Bottom line is that Houston reports sell-outs and near sell-outs while the stadium appears less than half full...on more than 1 occasion. More often than not the lower bowl appears virually empty while watching on TV. All I was pointing out is that there is precedent in the league for sell-outs and near sell-outs and the lower bowl not looking full.
    I don't predict that for Orlando.

25. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    I can kind of understand that. I sit behind the goal. I was higher up last year, third row this year. We'll practically be on the field. Sure, I'll have a hard time seeing the other side of the field, but I would anyway. We spent a lot of time last year looking at the video board.

But we make up for it by seeing every single thing that happens on our side of the field. Incredible action. We sat at midfield for a US Open cup game and hated it. Couldn't see much of anything on either end of the field. Not much happens in the middle.

Maybe part of it is I am used to watching youth soccer down near the pitch, but I like being where the action is.