Foul throw?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by RichM, Apr 19, 2017.

1. RichM

RichM Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Nov 18, 2009
    Meridian, ID
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Foul throw?

Release position doesn't look any different, to me, than from a flip-throw..

[​IMG]

Thezzaruz repped this.
  2. Louisvillereferee

Real Madrid
    United States
    Apr 11, 2017
    Ball never went behind his head

3. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Idaknow... ball is pretty clearly behind his head at this point of the throw...

Further behind than most throw-ins in fact.

And before anyone else says it, he's facing the field of play by the time the throw-in is being taken. And yes, his butt is off the ground, both feet on the ground.

Attached Files:

4. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 6.41.26 AM.png
    Throw is with both hands from behind and over the head, both feet are on the ground outside touchline. I think you can disallow this throw because he is not facing the field of play though, more like facing the sky. At least with a flip throw you tend to be more vertical when the ball is released.

Edit: Sulfur beat me to the punch by a few seconds - but I disagree that he is facing the field.

5. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched this as a video and he ends up on his bum. I don't remember when the ball is actually released though.

6. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Watch carefully when a flip throw is released. Often it's well before the thrower is vertical. But with this, I think that you're seriously nitpicking. He's facing in the direction of the FOP, just over it when the throw is actually made. That's still in the direction of.

The only thing on the ground when the ball is thrown are his two feet.

Though it's hard to tell, and I suspect that's why the referee of the match called it back.

7. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    At the moment of release the player must "face the field of play". I won't argue that this is not picky, it is. I would argue that it is not clear that this requirement is met.

I don't know that I would actually call anything here, because it doesn't seem to violate the spirit of the law, but I think there are grounds within the law to disallow it.

8. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    A flip throw deemed legal from a couple of years back... and the position of release is almost identical to that from the video above...

Note also the direction the player is facing/etc.

flip_small.png

Personally, I have zero problem with the throw-in, as the ball comes from behind the head, over the head, both hands, only the feet are on the ground at the time of the throw, and the player's facing the field of play (although, up in the air over it... but still in that direction).

9. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 7.31.41 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 7.16.43 AM.png

Let me get out my protractor...

Looks like she's facing even further away from the field than he is...ok fine I'm convinced. ;)

10. Schlager

Schlager Member

Dec 5, 2016
    I think that all of the nits that are being picked with this throw are the very definition of trifling. I would allow it.

SccrDon, Thezzaruz and jayhonk repped this.
  11. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This looks to be in the same class as the old trick corner. If you dont tell the CR or AR it may happen, you run the risk of them being caught off guard and it being blown dead or flagged "just because". Not because of a reason, "just because".

12. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Belleville, ILLLLLLLLINOIZE
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Fun bit of fun....I lived in Brackley from 1981 to 1985. I miss it.

13. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a throw in. Get the ball in play and let's get on with it... ;)

dadman, RespectTheGame and cmonref repped this.
  14. Doug the Ref

Doug the Ref Member

Dec 6, 2005
    St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the issue was the first player who let it go backwards off of his head. :)

15. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    I mean a full-grown man that close to the goal line should be able to put the ball on the spot anyway, why even bother with this foolishness

meyers and RespectTheGame repped this.
  16. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
    My guess is that it looked really cool in practice.

SccrDon repped this.
  17. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    Took em long enough to do a throw in ...

18. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    And I'm sure that had nothing to do with the referee's decision. . . .

On the merits, I can go I ether way. The comparison to a flip throw is pretty compelling. The difference , I suppose, is that he doesn't come up -- live and unexpected it may well have looked to the ref like he was sitting at the moment of the throw. (And as long as this took, im guessing the ref had already told him to get on with it and wasn't really up for nonsense.)

19. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Belleville, ILLLLLLLLINOIZE
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    But, but, but....aren't your buttcheeks technically just the very tippy top of your feet???

20. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
    If that's true, you probably need some work done.

21. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    ~The butt-bone's connected to the, foot-bone~

dadman repped this.
  22. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the only possible issue I'm hearing is that he wasn't facing the field of play because he was looking up and not "at" it. So you're telling me that if a throw is taken with the player looking at his shoes or with his head tilted back it would be illegal?