Fosu-Monstah - The Timothy Fosu-Mensah Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Apr 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    dude is a beast. even if only physically for now.

he is another LvG has granted him his debut and kept him in the side and he didn't need to, so new thread for him like the others. hopefully he kicks on and gets fully integrated into the team, but first hope he gets back from whatever knock/injury that was at Spurs.

good start by TFM

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This will be a sad tribute to the boy when he doesn't play under Mourinho. Which is sad because he looks like a real good player.

3. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    Reminds me of a more physically robust Hargreaves.

Ashur repped this.
  4. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The work the guy puts up indeed is quite phenomenal. He might have been all over the place yesterday, but he covered a lot of ground in the process.
    Being a defender seems way too restrictive for a guy with this kind of energy: the midfield is where I believe we'll see the best of his abilities. Not only because of his engine, but the guy is a force driving up the pitch with the ball at his feet. Reminds me very much of Patrick Vieira, in that regard.

5. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    you sure about that one? and i don't mean the injury records

6. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    From my limited exposure to him, yeah. Likes to chase/close down/tackle. Technically good enough to not be a hindrance to the team, good running with the ball etc etc...

What kind of player do you think he is?

7. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    What's his best position?

8. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    well i was surprised since Hargreaves isn't the first one that i would think of. especially given the difference in position and that he can play mid and defence.

he is more technical than just good enough imo, almost reminds me of a young Obi Mikel. good in both directions but obviously not an AM like Mikel was supposed to be.

more Cocu-ish to me at this stage

9. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on what he's shown at youth level, his stamina and drive with the ball, his best position appears to be either as a DCM or box to box mid.

10. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    One of the reasons I chose Hargreaves as a comparison is because he played in midfield and defense as well!

I haven't seen enough of FM's range of passing to fully understand what kind of player he is yet.

11. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    At the risk of exhibiting undue hyperbole, TFM was a massive silver lining in an otherwise dark cloud yesterday, so much so that it might have been worth losing to Spurs just so that we could get a long look at this beast of a teenager against a very decent club.

WHATEVER IT TAKES, United must NOT let Timothy Fosu-Mensah become the next Paul Pogba. I don't know yet whether TFM will be a CB a 6 or even an 8. We'll just have to see how he acquits himself when he's given the chances he's already proven he's ready for.

We've got some remarkable young players on this squad -- Martial, Rashford, Shaw, Fosu-Mensah in particular. I would add Pereira as well, but for some reason LVG refuses to give him chances. I suppose you could add Januzaj to that list but I'm sure what's happening with him either. And don't forget Borthwick-Jackson, who almost makes us forget about Shaw. However disappointing this season has been at least we got to see a number of young players with incredible promise. Rashford has to top that list but, my god, Fosu-Mensah was astonishing yesterday against a very decent Spurs side. And the moment TFM walked off the pitch, poof!, Spurs go on to rout us.

When Jose comes in to clean up Louis's shit, I don't see him in any way shutting out these young players. He may not bring up any new players next season, but that's ok as we've got more than our fair share of young players who will have had their christening in 15/16. What we need in the summer of 16 is class, not more youth.

12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a vid from before he broke into the first team. It was clear from early on we had a good on on our hands.

13. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    fair but even so he strikes me as far more refined and technical. i think Harg was a defender for us only iirc?

14. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Timmy transcends mere positions. Open your mind and don't restrict yourself to antiquated constructs.

15. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    We used Hargreaves mostly in midfield (CM, RM) and at RB in a pinch(remember him dribbling towards our own goal when put under pressure? :p )

I'll be keeping a closer eye on FM now to try to understand him better.

Ashur repped this.
  16. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think he will be a midfielder in the long term, if we get Sanchez (who is more a midfield dribbler) or someone more creative, with Herrera and Schneiderlein could be a good midfield.

17. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    bad wording. i meant we only used him as a D. think Bayern kept him strictly midfield and city also

18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #18 Ashur, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    The comparison to Hargo are pretty apt on my opinion from the standpoint of versatility and energy/workrate alone. Timmy may be technically superior to Hargreaves (even if I feel it was underrated to a certain degree - the way he could hit free kicks comes to mind for instance)
    SAF certainly didn't hesitate to use him either in midfield (centrally or wide right) or at the back in a RB capacity. It's a real pity that his knee gave out after that one season: always wondered what it would have been having him on the team when we faced Barca in Rome. No telling what a guy like him would have done to harass and slow down their midfield.
    Timmy's all action display vs Tottenham did in a way remind me of a typical Hargo one without a doubt (like the kind he had for England vs Portugal in the 06 WC).

19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yesterday's game showed that while he had a pretty showing once again at the back (especially as the game went along), to me, I feel like it's almost a disservice to his huge amount of energy alone that he has to be confined to a defensive role.
    The guy just likes to run around and be in the thick of it. Defensive discipline can be taught, but playing him at the back feels almost too restrictive for him. And I can't wait for the day he'll have an opportunity to show what he's got in a midfield role. That ought to be fun to watch.

[​IMG]

jeff070 repped this.
  20. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Haha, nice backpack

jeff070 repped this.
  21. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there was ever a game this season to start Fosu-Mensah as a CM, Villa would be it. Pair him with Schneiderlin with Herrera in the hole. Play Darmian at RB and BoJack at LB. If he is out of his depth, you can always take him off at the half and put Rooney on and move Herrera back next to Schneiderlin.

jeff070 and exref repped this.
  22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Really hope he gets to stay here. He's clearly got the talent.

24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fosu-Mensah learning from experience

Tim Fosu-Mensah says it was a "special" experience to play his part in Manchester United's FA Cup semi-final win over Everton at Wembley. Of course, the day could have ended differently for the defender and the Reds when Fosu-Mensah was adjudged to have fouled Ross Barkley in the area which led to a Toffees penalty. David De Gea's spot-kick save delighted everyone in a red shirt, none more so than Fosu-Mensah who once again showed his quality.

The man himself was still buzzing when he spoke to ManUtd.com after the match and says he hopes he can build on what has been a very pleasing couple of months for him since breaking into the first team. "It was special. It's a great stadium and great atmosphere. It was very special to play in this stadium," he beamed when asked to sum up the semi-final: "It's been an exciting few weeks but I still have to learn a lot of things and that's what I'm trying to do. Keep learning, keep improving and try to develop as a player and train hard every day."

Fosu-Mensah has recently contributed to helping the Reds go top of the clean sheets table in the league and he saluted the impressive defensive pairing of Chris Smalling and Daley Blind, plus the consistently fantastic form of De Gea as being key to the achievement. "Chris and Daley communicate so well with me. Everyone in the defence is great, of course David as well. He's a top goalkeeper and he saved us again on Saturday," he added. "You can see the partnership between Daley and Chris and how they express themselves, they're a great pair. I'm enjoying playing full-back but I'm happy to play anywhere the manager wants to put me. I just do my best and try my hardest."

Jesse Lingard spoke before the semi-final about the fearlessness he, Fosu-Mensah, Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford have all played with this term. His team-mate concurs, but adds that the support from the experienced members of the squad has been invaluable. "It's about confidence but I think we all try to do what we always do and just play our football," he continues. "We work hard, I work hard and I want to learn a lot. I'm open to learning a lot. I do my best and listen to the coaches and the senior players like Wayne, Carras, Chris and Daley. I listen to them all and try to do something with it. The senior players just help me with what I have to do on the pitch, where I have to stand sometimes and other things. It helps me a lot."

The Dutch defender's all-action displays have thrilled the United fans and, while he says it's a great feeling to see the supporters' reaction, he insists there is plenty more to come. "I'm very delighted [to see the fans' reaction] but, as I said, I have to keep working hard," he insisted. "I just try to keep my head cool and try to do what I always do when I play and focus on playing my game."

25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Timmy has been named in the Dutch squad for their upcoming friendlies. (along with United teammates Blind and Memphis)
    His performance with United is the main reason, but it appears Holland wants to cap him in order to beat Ghana to the punch as they approached him to play for them.

benni... and Rooney20 repped this.