Forum for discussion of issues by posters who can't start a thread in the Customer Service Forum

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Oarboar, Mar 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just 3 hours of ban left.

2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Oh, nooooooooooo!!!!! :eek:

3. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What Pol forum? Is there a Pol Pot forum?

4. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's after 11:00 PM, you can turn off the yellow card that's supposed to expire automatically, but doesn't for me, now.

5. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    As they used to say in Argentina, your 25-year jail sentence has expired, but we lost the key to your cell.

6. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    whoops

7. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1000 points and no expiration date?

Wow. It's a good thing that they don't give the power to assess those sorts of infractions to us ordinary moderators. After all, some of us have double standards and personal grudges.

8. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Man, oh my ... I used to be the guy who gave that jerk infractions and permanent forum bans. Now he PMs me when things like this happen. How will I live down the shame?

I missed that never expire bit at first. Is that supposed to be understood as a permanent red card?

Judging by the link I saw, it seems that the warm one doesn't know how to use the W slur correctly. It refers specifically to someone who immigrates into the US and the team Paraguay lost to was most definitely not composed of immigrants to the US. Of all the ways to go, a permanent red for a misapplied slur seems like a dumb one.

9. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, he used it correctly, since I'm pretty sure that it gets applied to all Mexicans in general, whether or not they've immigrated into the USA.

Paraguay played the wet -- err, Mexicans -- on Saturday night in Oakland and lost to them 3-1.

10. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    The slur may (sloppily and inaccurately) "get applied" to Mexicans in general, but it is a term specific to Mexican immigrants to the US.

11. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever.

The point is that he intentionally put out some bait that he knew that a particular supermod who is stalking him would take. This to me raises three (mostly rhetorical) questions:

1. Why in the hell do we have supermods stalking users?

2. Would certain slurs against American Indians or Jews or whomever get an immediate non-expiring 1000 point infraction?

3. Holy freaking crap, if someone can't recognize that they're being baited or can't resist taking it, do they have the temperament to even be moderators, let alone supermods?

12. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I'm just taking a stand for linguistic precision!
    1. Because this has become totally personal between these two, which means that a) one should not be baiting the other, and b) one should not be allowed to give out infractions to the other. They need an adult to step in between them.

2. Kike, hymie, hebe still allowed. Sambo, ******, ******** ... oh those last two are censored. They were w o p and s p i c. Fascinating. And ultimately totally arbitrary, which is not how moderating should be.

3. See 1 above.

13. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Don't forget bitch.

14. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Say, aren't the moderators and super moderators supposed to be the adults?

My favorite is "redcoat"... err, r e d c o a t.

Edit: Wait, it's not censored? I thought it used to be. Whatever. How about "******" (j a p)?

Edit #2: Yup, it's censored. But the ridiculous thing about all of this is that we've got a poster who got a red card for using the verboten term "w e t b a c k" in order to bait a stalking supermod, not because he's actually racist. Meanwhile, you have posters in the P&CE who all but accuse the Jews of grinding up the bones of children to bake bread, and little action is taken. And of course, anyone can use kike, hymie, hebe, **********, injun, redskin, paki, darkie, or guinea and not suffer any repercussions.

15. Dignan23

Dignan23 Member+

Jul 6, 2001
    Fort Vancouver, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    But, to be fair, ******** is censored.

16. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    What sort of radical nonsense is this!?!
    It certainly used to be. I remember ridiculing the powers that be about it.
    Every once in a while I make a try at standing up against that crap. But it's tiring -- really f'cking tiring. Meanwhile, the P&CE board very casually tolerates an awful lot of antisemitism. And when I've prompted them to card some of the genuine antisemites on that board, they've never given out 1000 infraction points and indefinite red cards. I guess that's not as egregious as a dumb crack on the FFA.
    I wish I could forget ... wait, what are we talking about?

17. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Guys - not sure what the censor list has to do with the price of beans, but if it bothers you, please submit to me a list of suggested additions and I'll add any slurs y'all think are appropriate, provided they aren't words that have dual meaning such as chink - which I would like to add but don't think it makes sense to.

If there is a grey area with any of the terms, I may consult with our resident expert Knave on whether he thinks it makes sense to add the word or not.

18. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think I know which word you were going for here - begins with c?

19. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I've already stated my position on this matter: F'ck the autocensor!

We're just pointing out that BigSoccer is quite variable in the ways it deals with racial, ethnic and sexual slurs. On the one hand, there's certain slurs that it autocensors and the response to subverting the autocensor seems to be swift and (sometimes) rather other over the top. On the other hand, there's the other slurs that it does not autocensor and the response to the posting of those slurs tends to be very different. The difference between these two classes of slurs is, ultimately, arbitrary -- and therein lies the problem, especially when things get too personal between moderators and posters, and especially when there's a lack of adult supervision and oversight.

20. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Unless you know of a way to program the BigSoccer bot to hand out infractions, all of them are going to be arbitrary.

All of the supermods are adults (I make no claims about the admins).

21. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    You might want to look up the word arbitrary, DK. As it is, your statement is as obviously fallacious as would be a claim that all law enforcement is inherently arbitrary. Which is, of course, rubbish. Arbitrary law enforcement is not law enforcement -- it means there are no laws. Arbitrary moderation is not moderation -- it means there are no standards for moderation. (Do you really want to claim that's how this place is "moderated"?) If you don't understand all that, then I don't know what the hell you think you're doing.

22. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Fair enough - apparently I had my own definition of the word which meant that human judgment was involved.

Isn't that what this means?

depending on individual discretion (as of a judge) and not fixed by standards, rules, or law

23. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Are we talking about limits of posts per thread again? :eek:

I kid, I kid...

*runs from DK before the hammer comes down*

24. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    You are confusing judgment with caprice and whim. Judgment means both 1) the application of the known general standard to the particular case, or 2) the discovery of the heretofore unknown general standard for the particular case. The thing with judgment is that the judgment should be explainable according to some generalizable standard -- that's how you know it's actually judgment and not arbitrary caprice or whim. A moderator should be able to back up his judgments with a generalizable statement according to which, given similar particulars, the same judgment would be reached. In other words, he should be able to explain himself in such a way that his actions do not appear to be arbitrary.

25. Dignan23

Dignan23 Member+

Jul 6, 2001
    Fort Vancouver, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    That would be the one, yes. Of course, it's not necessarily censored solely due to it's anti-feminist qualities.