Forum Ban Question

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by stanger, Jan 31, 2019.

1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/members/stanger.137616/ is a direct link to stanger's profile. Look there for infraction points.

I don't think moderators should have to wait to delete posts for the sake of showing them to give infractions, but before deleting a post, I think moderators should take screen shots, and multiple ones if necessary to provide a record of everything a deleted post was responding to.

Moishe repped this.
  2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Evan, the issue more TapTalk. He is not the only one with an issue.

3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    On a desktop browser I am unable to see my infractions.

I assumed that was is only available to mods.

4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't not think that, and that is not cool. Y'all need to see your own infractions.

@dark knight - Seems to be an issue - non-mods not being able to see their own infractions.

5. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Point is, I had no idea I had received an infraction, so the idea that I simply ignored it isn’t the case.

If I had seen a card, like I have seen on numerous others over the years, I would have probably stopped.

6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. See above post.

stanger repped this.
  7. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I was in a private conversation when the ban happened and stanger chose not to sort this out with the mod at the time. We don’t just remove forum bans for time served - because they are a pain to manage. The best way to go is to avoid a ban in the first place - but if you do get banned, we won’t restore you without the mod being on board. So hostile arguing isn’t the way to go.

Work things out peacefully with sport billy- figure out what you were doing that got you banned, and let him know that you will happily take direction if you derail things again inadvertently. Feel free to copy me on the interactions.

Barring that, don’t be difficult and try to aggressively argue out of a ban. A sense of humor, humility and some self awareness go a looong way to getting people who decide this stuff on your side.

8. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Evidence certainly suggests otherwise.

sitruc repped this.
  9. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering Billy’s last post, the one where he wanted me banned from the entire site forever, not sure there is anything I can do to change his mind.

Besides, if I DM him again I was told it would get worse.

10. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Antagonizing the person who decides your return to the forum wasn’t particularly wise then. I don’t have a time machine to go back and fix the situation you’ve created and even if I did, let’s be honest, you’d stubbornly refuse the chance anyway.

As we always say, an apology and recognition of what you were doing go a long way towards more chances. If you aren’t interested in that I can’t really help you.

SB can’t ban you beyond his forum unilaterally.

11. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    To be fair, some mods actually penalize actively any attempt to communicate. And this: "A sense of humor, humility and some self awareness" is sorely lacking in some of the moderators as well, especially the first.

dark knight and stanger repped this.
  12. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As much as I would like to participate in the expansion forum, this statement, which completely ignores 10 years of constant posting, shows to me an apology won’t do it.

For what it’s worth, I’m sorry this happened. It certainly wasn’t my goal or intention. I take full responsibility for my posts.

For some reason my Tapatalk won’t allow me to tag @dark knight.

13. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    It's probably worth mentioning that Stanger got banned from all the candidate cities fora when they were created. He was originally banned in Austin (which he has no objection to) but it propagated to other cities when the expansion candidate cities were reorganized. So he can no longer post in the Miami, St Louis, etc fora.

14. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Hell, I can't even SEE that Expansion exists. If I'm logged in, I see zero evidence at all.

15. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same.

16. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    What part of "I can't see the Expansion forum" do you not understand?

Also, I see zero indication of any infractions anywhere. Perhaps mine have all expired, but then I'd be able to see the Expansion forum.

18. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Infractions that have expired still appear on your profile. That’s not the issue.

19. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    You have 0 warning points so you're in no danger of getting yellow carded. But you apparently have a forum ban from the supermods at Billy's request.

IIRC @Ismitje explained that when the expansion candidate cities were reorganized, the ban in Austin moved up a level to all the candidate cities. That sort of makes sense given that Billy is the mod for all of them. On the other hand, there's no history of Crew fans trolling places other than Austin.

20. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Every single bit of Expansion is not visible to me. Under my login, it does not even exist.

21. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So it was just the boards Billy moderates?

22. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Not specifically. At the time you were originally banned in the Austin forum, couldn't you still post in the St Louis or Miami forums? I have a vague recollection that Ismitje said that a reorganization of the expansion big forum was responsible for the extended banning rather than a new request from Billy.

I don't know what other fora he moderates (and don't suggest you test his patience by asking him) but if you can see other fora, you'd know it's not tied to the moderator.

23. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I, like Timon, cannot see any expansion forums.

24. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just looked at my profile on desktop and I am unable to see anything relating to infractions. The only points category is Trophy Points, which seem to be pretty meaningless.

25. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    You have 0 warning points. You do have a media point. I'm curious what that is?