Formula One 2006, the V8 era.

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Nanbawan, Jan 10, 2006.

1. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I know this will sound unforgivably inhuman, but I hope Alonso spins out into a ********in ditch.

I cheered when Hakkinen crashed all those years ago and this will be no different.

2. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Like I said, Schumi's woes at Suzuka just offset the ones Alonso had on several occasions which made him lose his healthy lead.

Germany 2000, I heard it was the last time he retired from a race due to mechanical failure...Well, the longer lasts such a spell, th closer it gets to its end. Old principle.

As for spinning out in a ditch ; in Sao Paulo the ditch is named Curva do Sol and Schumi knows it too well...

3. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robert Kubica wins at Brazil :D :D ;)

OR another podium and Schumi gets ties for the WDC after Alonso has a flat tyre.. :p

4. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    since June it appears that Fernando Alonso had plenty of time to practice his victory celebrations...:confused:

Taking our marks at Fuji.

5. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    You know what I'd pay to see? Now that he's out of F1, I'd love to see Schumacher take a Ferrari around the Nordschliefe. It's totally unsafe, but that circuit is just mind-boggling and I'd love to see how fast he could take some of those corners (Bellof's record in a Porsche 962 was 6:11 - Schumi could probably shave at least 40 seconds off that). You could get every qualified race volunteer in Europe to show up for that to increase the safety aspect. Put some cameras in the car and you could recoup the costs just from the DVD.

6. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    He survived 15 seasons in F1, now that he can have a proper family life, you don't expect him to go and kill himself on the Nordschleife ! Anyway, every year there are the Nürburgring 24 hrs race which are the poor man's Le Mans. Not that derogatory to say that since this is one of the few races where you can see professional drivers on race GTs amongst true amateurs and their 1980 BMWs...

Of course, I've 'raced' there only on a game console and the course is great and all, but besides the sheer challenge it represents you really feel like saying : "Just keep the best parts and scrap the rest please." The problem with such a natural course is that you don't have the designed 'tempo' and rythm you can enjoy on a more conventional circuit.

7. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    In a way, the pressure is somewhat mounting on Alonso's shoulders now. Sounds like a paradox since you can't be better placed to win the championship in a finale (otherwise, you are already champion !) but the other parameter is that nearly nobody can challenge Schumacher for the race win except yourself but you can't really throw everything in this case. So, whetever prevents him from finishing the race - which is far from unlikely - and Alonso will most certainly lose the championship !

Bah ! Everyone knows Fisi will win, no ? ;)

[​IMG]

No ?

The F1 world is really like some greek tragedy. Look at Flavio and Schumi. Those were the old days...

[​IMG]

8. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OMFG! That is hilarious! I would love to see Shuey put on the same type of glasses when he is on the podium for the last time.

9. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    [R] Re: Formula One 2006, the V8 era.

Well, mixed fortunes for Ferrari as Massa takes the pole and Schumi ends his quali session 10th due to technical problems. The already very difficult situation just went a notch or two higher on this count.

10. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Unfortunately, funny celebrations have become a thing of the past in F1. The podium would look like a funeral if it wasn't for the Carmen overture theme...So much at stake and so much PC.

I remember Schumacher being criticised by some Italian minister or MP once because he was doing the maestro gestures during the national anthem...You don't get to see drivers hanging their flags on the re-entry lap anymore, the only thing they are still allowed to do apparently are the hand gestures in the car.

There's no chance for F1 fans to witness the crazy celebrations that Valentino Rossi can sometimes display with his gang in Moto GP. Of course, you would be able to do the same stuff with a car anyway but still, we can't get anywhere near that nowadays. I've seen a photo of Jean Alesi on a podium with a Batman costume once but it was either in French F3 or F3000.

11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Talk about timing...the SpeedTV guys were talking about how poor most of the F1 guys were at interviews. No information, no fun, no openness. It is all image. They were talking about some guy in F3 being a good interviewer.

12. ViscaBarca

ViscaBarca Member

Mar 26, 2004
    London
    you are wrong. even the qualifying was run on intermediates.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/09/30/023567.html

13. I-Got-The-BLUES

May 1, 2006
    Orlando, Florida.
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    C'mon Schumi.....one more year!!!!
    What a great pass to overtake Raikkonen on the 3rd last lap...classic Schumi!! Against the wall, Tire to tire, on the inside.....Brilliant!:D

Good race by Massa, very happy for him!!! You would've think he was the one who won the championship hehehe...great guy

Not a huge Alonso fan, but it also sux that he's leaving Renault, kinda feel bad for him.

All in all Good season

14. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Well, Massa somewhat proved me wrong today...;)

Frentzen once said that whenver a F1 driver farts it goes around the world and the press keeps on telling stories about it for weeks, not to mention all the possible distortion of the truth. So now, they just shut it, for that and for bland marketing reasons too. The problem being that it installs a vicious circle : the less they talk and the more the press behaves badly by making up stuff and the more they do that, the less drivers are keen to express themselves.

It all changed during the nineties, notably after Senna's death. Before that, at least in France, commentaries were far more light hearted with announcers making lame impersonations and stuff. It has come back a little but the general tone is much more serious with the inclusion of big auto makers...

15. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    This was certainly not the season too far for him. At least he retires on a high even if he might have attempted to do it on a fairy tale ending with two more years.

Now that's racing ! ;)

Frankly, I was among those who raised an eyebrow when it came to consider him as a future WC winner. I have to say Jean Todt and his son Nicolas (manager of Felipe) guessed it right. Massa is a potential champion, he had the speed and learnt to exert it with more consistency this year.

He took the best opportunity he had at the time of his decision. I hope it won't be the case but next year might be a difficult season for Renault anyway. Depending on success with McLaren, alonso might come back to Renault if Kovalainen and Piquet jr are not already in full bloom...

No sh... ! :D

16. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    What conventional circuit has a tempo like the Nurburgring? The circuit has tremendous rhythm to it.

I'd love to see an F1 car go around it, especially since there's some corners (the double right after Flugplatz, the triple kink at Kesselchen) that would blow away Eau Rouge in difficulty at high speed.