Former YNT "Catching up..." Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    He is still only 31 years old. Frank Simek was in the reserves around that time as well.

2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Yep. We had two young defenders at Arsenal and one at Liverpool all around the same time, all the same birth year. All three had their careers heavily affected by injury...

USvsIRELAND and Gamecock14 repped this.
  3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Patrick Ianni:

The ex-Flame and Bruins player has been conducting sessions — with teams and individuals — for a long time. But when the year started, Ianni felt his calling was to teach soccer players on a full-time basis.

“There was a transitional period,” explained Ianni of his life after his pro career. “I thought I had a good plan. I wanted to go into the business world. But I quickly figured out that I wanted to be on the field full-time.”
    http://www.lodinews.com/sports/article_1c9b713c-31fe-11e6-9327-7fd606a7e67e.html

mike4066 and Winoman repped this.
  4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    USvsIRELAND, Winoman and Gamecock14 repped this.
  5. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Can you sign a player up twice as a homegrown. Or was he not one at first?

mike4066 repped this.
  6. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McBean is two months younger than Jordan Morris.

USvsIRELAND and mike4066 repped this.
  7. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    And he's starting tonight.

8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Apparently he was.

Signed by the Galaxy as a Homegrown Player on January 31, 2011​

http://www.lagalaxy.com/players/jack-mcbean

[​IMG]

Gamecock14 repped this.
  9. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The five 89s who played up in the 2007 WC:

Arguez
    Wallace
    Perk
    Adu
    Altidore

At least we got production out of Jozy.

10. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Guessing he wasn't found guilty of those charges a while back.

11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    USvsIRELAND repped this.
  12. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    That's not a requirement here. Just wade in and start complaining about snubs or something. ;)

bigredfutbol, Gorky, USvsIRELAND and 2 others repped this.
  14. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gorky and anivha repped this.
  15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Yomba's early professional years have not, I would imagine, gone as planned, but it sounds like he wanted to move on and try his luck elsewhere (and the team was happy to let him go). As a benchwarmer on a second team, I guess it's hard to find much fault in that:

In terms of his release from his contract, Yomba said that it was a mutual termination, mainly for the betterment of his career.
    http://www.themaneland.com/2016/6/8/11885530/orlando-city-b-parts-ways-with-dembakwi-boxi-yomba

As a Georgia native, does he try to latch on with Atlanta and maybe get loaned out for the rest of the season? Of course, that could theoretically happened this year and hadn't.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Conor Doyle has been loaned from the Rapids to the USL Switchbacks. He's after making a bunch of appearances for Derby County right out of high school, he's never been able to lock down a regular starting gig as of age 24. He still has time, certainly. In the few times I've seen him he's certainly looked like a pro, but he hasn't beaten down the door, so to speak.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    HartwickFan and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  18. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    During his time w/DCU, he looked like a serviceable role player...just not sure what that role might be.

Not trying to be snarky; I hope he finds a home. He's certainly a serious professional with some genuine talent.

Winoman repped this.
  19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Not happy news:

Kellen Gulley, 22, of Clinton and a former player for Major League Soccer's Chicago Fire, was charged with multiple counts of possession of illegal narcotics with intent to distribute while in possession of a firearm.

Gulley is "believed to be a significant dealer of marijuana, powder cocaine, and codeine syrup in Clinton and other portions of the metro area," according to a press release issued by the city of Clinton Monday.
    http://www.clarionledger.com/story/...-pro-soccer-player-arrested-clinton/87924614/

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

Oooof. Not the first time he's run afoul of the law.

[​IMG]

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I liked this TBT yesterday from the 2000 Olympics................

761321649174155264 is not a valid tweet id

HartwickFan repped this.
  22. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I remember waking up crazy early to watch those 2000 matches at Summers in Arlington, Va. Pretty sure Arena and Rongen were spotted holding court at the bar for the USA-Spain match...

23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    soccersubjectively repped this.
  24. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On a recent episode of The Play podcast, Bobby Warshaw had Dax McCarty and Stephen Keel on to discuss training ground fights/confrontations. Dax tells a story around the 30 minute mark about how Michael Bradley and Gabe Ferrari got into a fight before the Canada U20 WC. Thomas Rongen told the team he was really glad because in his experience, that meant they would have a good tournament.

https://audioboom.com/boos/4962206-reconciling-the-warrior-on-the-field-with-the-human-off-it