Former YNT "Catching up..." Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just go the Ali Curtis route.

2. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Javan Torre was drafted 15th in the 3rd Round of the MLS Draft by Colorado (56th overall).

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  3. bajansoccer

bajansoccer Member

Aug 28, 2011
    he doesnt have the heart for the game, which is ok. it takes bravery to say "no". bravo to the young man.

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    He's still Olympic-eligible!

5. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhutup dave!!!!!! Tab may read this

6. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Very cool.

My spider-sense went off a bit seeing his name. Not surprisingly perhaps, it turns out that Markus is one of the sons of Willy Roy, who moved to the U.S. from Germany and eventually got a few caps for us.

DE KALB — Growing up as ``Willy Roy`s sons,`` has prepared Willy Jr., Karsten and Markus Roy well for being ``the coach`s boys`` at Northern Illinois.​

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1990-11-11/sports/9004050176_1_northern-illinois-careers-roy-boys

soccersubjectively repped this.
  8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #133 Dave Marino-Nachison, Jan 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    Here's a couple of newlyweds whose kids might end up in this forum someday:

(EDIT: The fella on the right is former YNTer Ricky Lewis.)

9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Is that former US U23 Ricky Lewis?

10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Yep. Sorry, realized after posting that his name wasn't in the tweet and edited my post...

11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Former YNTer Tommy Meyer signed with USL Swope Park.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  12. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/66/u...u-takes-full-responsibility-for-disappointing

“Everything that I’ve been through and everything that hurt my career, I brought it on myself because I didn’t dedicate enough time to it,” Adu said. “You can say, ‘Oh, I had a lot too early,’ or say whatever you want. But at the end of the day we all need to grow up at some point, and that has just all hit me this offseason. It really did.”

Gamecock14, Winoman and mike4066 repped this.
  13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    soccersubjectively repped this.
  14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Snip:

Bryan Arguez, D.C. United’s 2007 first-round draft pick and a former U.S. youth international who at 19 appeared in a Bundesliga match, was acquitted of rape charges in Georgia late last week.

United had chosen him 11th overall in the 2007 MLS draft. He spent one season in Washington and did not make any first-team appearances. D.C. sold him to Hertha Berlin after his rookie season. In February 2008, he appeared in a Bundesliga match against Eintracht Frankfurt. Until Christian Pulisic, 17, debuted with Borussia Dortmund this winter, Arguez was the previous youngest American to play in Germany’s fabled league.

That was his only Bundesliga appearance, however.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...charges/?postshare=2351459778871924&tid=ss_fb

16. cubansoccerman

cubansoccerman New Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Saw him at NASL game on Saturday night, he is happy ordeal is behind him so he can continue his soccer career. He looks determined and focused.

17. cubansoccerman

Jun 24, 2006
    I had no ideal he was the youngest US player up to last year to play in the bundesliga league.

18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    A 2015 story on '01 U17 David Johnson:

Every day,David Johnson walks past a pair of soccer cleats he once donned doing what he loved. He has not worn them for nearly eight years, and for nearly eight years he has the same thought running through his mind.

“I look at them every day,” Johnson said. “Every damn day I look at them and I think ‘Can I put them back on?’”​

http://ussoccerplayers.com/2015/06/former-usmnt-youth-player-david-johnson-tries-again.html

Pl@ymaker and mike4066 repped this.
  19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Tony Taylor -- remember him? -- is contributing to NYCFC now that he's healthy again. A season in which he ends up a a starter (I would imagine a lot of minutes are still up for grabs on that team) would be a pretty impressive result for a guy whose career has been pretty bumpy. Turns 27 this summer, so clock's kinda ticking.

USvsIRELAND, Pl@ymaker and mike4066 repped this.
  21. AJSW

AJSW Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Was listening to Sirius XMFC this morning and Daniel Karbassiyoon was interviewed. He has published a new book called The Arsenal Yankee. Paperback/Amazon/Kindle.

During the interview, among other things, he noted:

-He was from Roanoke, VA
    - Cut from ODP and later made ODP and cut from ODP Regional team
    - Very hard at that time to get noticed nationally other than through ODP system
    -At 17, junior in high school, a player for an Addidas ESP showcase (?) was injured and he was brought in on short notice and an Arsenal scout happened to see him and invited him to train for two weeks
    -DK related that the standard at Arsenal was incredibly high -- Invincible years. He trained with the reserves and once with the first team
    -DK chose to return for his senior year of high school and then went to Arsenal
    -DK apparently describes in great detail how things went at Arsenal -- two years then contract not renewed
    -Went to Ipswich and Burnley, career-ending injury
    -Arsenal contacted him to become a Concacaf Scout
    -Found Zelalem and Joel Campbell for Arsenal
    -Describes in his book how scouts scout in US. One thing he mentioned is that it is easier to scout now because the DAs do a good job of scooping up the good players.
    - Another point -- said scouts at big youth tournaments like them to see all the talent in one place but leave before the semis and finals bc the kids too tired to play well
    - Generally, sounds intelligent and honest.

FYI

HartwickFan, Winoman, JG and 1 other person repped this.
  22. cubansoccerman

Jun 24, 2006
  23. cubansoccerman

Jun 24, 2006
    The Miami FC website confirms Arguez has been added to their roster.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  24. cubansoccerman

Jun 24, 2006
    Saw some old pics on US Soccer website of Josy Altidore, Anthony Wallace and Bryan Arguez in Residency.