Former YNT "Catching up..." Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    bsacco and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  3. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adrian Ruelas was in the 18 for Celaya last night in an Ascenso MX match. He didn't play.

Tom Collingsworth and Hararea repped this.
  4. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Turns out that Isaac Acuna is with Celaya, too, now listed as a defender.

Celaya, unfortunately, is the worst team in Mexico's second tier. They finished last in the first half and are currently in last in the second half, too. They sure make good candy, though. :)
    [​IMG]

5. bsacco

bsacco Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
  6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Tom Collingsworth and Hararea repped this.
  7. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Not that I'm particularly excited about Emilio Orozco, but I think that "2" teams should sign more players like him. The Mexican system doesn't bridge well between its U20 league and its upper levels, so there's a real opportunity to find some diamonds in the rough. This fall, Guido, Stevie Rodriguez, and Alonso Hernandez (among others) will only be able to participate in the U20 division as over-age players. Plenty of other guys with YNT experience have recently aged out of it.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  8. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Here's an attempt to recap all of our U17 WC GKs who've appeared in MLS or are active pros. Current starters at MLS level or higher in bold:

1993 - Jon Busch, #5 in all-time MLS saves, now Fire back-up
    1993 - Andy Kirk, 15 MLS appearances, now retired
    1995 - Tim Howard, most capped and winningest GK in US history
    1995 - Nick Rimando, #3 in all-time MLS saves
    --- pre-Bradenton
    1999 - DJ Countess, 54 MLS appearances plus brief stints in other countries, now retired
    1999 - Steve Cronin, 32 MLS appearances, now retired
    2003 - Quentin Westberg, mostly lower divisions in France, now in Norway first division*
    2005 - Brian Perk, 7 MLS appearances, now Galaxy back-up
    2005 - Diego Restrepo, now Charlotte Independence back-up
    2007 - Zac MacMath, 103 MLS appearances, now Rapids back-up
    2007 - Larry Jackson, now Wilmington Hammerheads starter
    2009 - Earl Edwards, now Orlando City back-up
    2009 - Spencer Richey, now Whitecaps 2 starter
    2009 - Keith Cardona, now with Indy Eleven*

The best U17 GK of the Bradenton era may be Quentin Westberg, and I don't think he was ever in residency. In fairness, though, it's way too early to give up on MacMath and some others.

*season not yet started

9. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grim.

I'd give the nod to MacMath over Westberg though. Westberg has never been able to hold down a starting job above the French third division. Even if MacMath has slipped to backup status in Colorado, I think he's accomplished more.

The fact that the debate comes down to a borderline MLS starter and a guy who has only had success in a league that includes semiprofessional clubs is the larger issue....

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    It looks like Jamar Beasley will be with the expansion PDL team in Muskegon, Mich., this upcoming season.

JG repped this.
  11. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    As the coach?

12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I don't know if he's healthy, but Gale is one of two Rowdies not to play a minute in their first two matches. (The other is Ben Sweat, another former YA type.) He appears to be stuck behind Antonijevic, a 25-year-old lower-division American with some Serbian YNT cups of coffee who stands 6 ft. 6 in., and a veteran named Mkandawire from Malawi who played in some English leagues.

The former guy reminds me of a past bit of trolling here by one of my longtime favorite YNT forum posters...

http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/looks-like-we-are-going-to-lose-him-to-serbia-after-all.720085/

;)

13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  14. ucraymond

ucraymond Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Good to know he's finally justified the >1000 posts about him in the YA forum, by signing with our fourth-tier league.

15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Wait a few years and you'll be able to say that about dozens of other guys we're discussing now...

16. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the Kristian Nicht transfer to Montreal, there's a good chance former U17 YNT backup goalkeeper Keith Cardona ('92) will now be the starter at Indy Eleven. It's a great opportunity for the former NYRB homegrown prospect that was never signed. His competition is 24 year old Jon Dawson out of Butler who has never started a professional match.

17. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has Keith Cardona ever started a professional match?

18. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. And in the last two games, the keeper on the bench behind Nicht was......both of them. So it's hard to say what will happen. In the first two games of the season it was just Dawson on the bench.

19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Former YNT/Dallas GK Josh Lambo has apparently signed a contract with the San Diego Chargers. (He was a successful college placekicker.)

20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Finally....................a snuffleupagus sighting!

USAprospects @USAprospects · 2h 2 hours ago
    Sebastian Lletget to Galaxy is finally a done deal. Lletget another solid piece for Galaxy young crop of players. #usynt #USMNT

He just HAD to get out of West Ham. Hopefully he can come to MLS and get back on track.

Tactical Hipster repped this.
  21. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Well, Seb's younger than Ignacio Maganto. Surely he's got some time. But I doubt many of us have been able to see him for extended periods of time with West Ham's youth teams. Does anybody really know what the Galaxy expect to get from him? For all we know he immediately displaces Baggio and makes the Gold Cup roster.

At worst, Los Dos streaming matches should pick up some extra traffic from this forum. ;)

22. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    It's officiall: Sebastian Lletget has joined the Llos Angelles Gallaxy:

“Sebastian is a young, talented attacking player who we think can find success in our team,” said LA Galaxy Head Coach and General Manager Bruce Arena. “We’re happy to have him return to his home state to join the Galaxy and we look forward to his contributions going forward.”​

http://www.lagalaxy.com/news/2015/05/la-galaxy-sign-midfielder-sebastian-lletget

Good lluck to him.

23. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting he is going straight to the first team and not Los Dos.

24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I've been efforting to find out what happened to all the youngsters we had in Mexico (particularly Tigres) a few years ago. Some of them had ended up at Dallas City FC in the NPSL last season. Alex Molano and Marlon Duran are still listed on the Dallas City FC site...................

It seems like Victor Garza, Moises Orozco, and Bryan de la Fuente are all listed on the roster of a team in the Armenia Premier League. I knew de la Fuente was there, but didn't know about the other two.

[​IMG]

25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I agree. I have no clue what to expect. Should be interesting to find out soon just how good he is.