Former Rapids - where are they now? (part 2)

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by chilistrider, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Nking Nkong just scored in the 71st minute to give Cameroon the lead over Ghana in their ACN semi-final.

On edit, FT and the GWG is Nkong's, remember he was a guy that our awesome judge of talent FC didn't think was worth it for a mid-table MLS side. Minute by minute report including some humor here:

http://football.guardian.co.uk/news/matchreport/0,,2254065,00.html

Last edit, as the report says, this is the first time Cameroon has beaten Ghana in 41 years, Alain is now a National hero and leaving Mexico for Europe?

2. SUNDROP

SUNDROP Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Grand Junction,CO USA
    Nkong beats Agogo

Talk about links to the Rapids. Cameroon ousts Ghana in the semifinals of the African Nation's Cup, Alain Nkong scoring the winning goal in the 71st minute, and Junior Agogo (who has been outstanding throughout the tournament) missing an open header in the 81st that would have tied it for Ghana. Remind me again why neither of these guys was good enough for us...???#%@^!&

3. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Re: Nkong beats Agogo

Agogo was a mess - it took him a while to settle down - he started very low in England working his way up ... hard to fault the Rapids for that.

Nkong however...

4. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas

Ya'll see Bikey shove over that steward on the field?

What the hell was that all about?

5. rockymtn.mike

rockymtn.mike Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Lochbuie, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bermuda

[​IMG]

6. Taylor FC

Taylor FC New Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Commerce City, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was thinking the same thing!

7. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Thanks Dom

Very Nice!!!

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5hVKvUzdG_VeDVMgNsUfdF0dkxj9g

Cameroon are only one step away from a record-equalling fifth African Nations Cup title after wrecking Ghana's party with a 1-0 semi-final win over the hosts here on Thursday.

The winners in 1984, 1988, 2000 and 2002 came through a tense affair in Accra with Alain Nkong's second-half strike breaking the deadlock and firing Cameroon into Sunday's final.

Cameroon will find out the identity of their adversaries after Thursday's later semi-final up in Kumasi between holders Egypt and the team they beat to win the title in 2006, Ivory Coast.

But they will go into the final missing Andre Bikey, the Reading defender picking up a red card after a bizarre 90th-minute push on a medic who was on the field attending to a goalkeeper Kameni.

8. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked Nkong, and the best ever MLS name was Junior Agogo...

Current MLS Rosters show only these ex-Rapids:
    NY: Freeman, Thorton
    RSL: Beckerman, Kotschau
    SJ: Canon
    TFC: Cunningham, Marshall

No one on Chi, Col, Chivas, DC, LA, KC, FCD, Houston, NE..........

So assuming the folks playing internationally, or retired, would still be, how many of the MLS seven would we want FC to bring back?

9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You forgot Wingert on FSL's roster

I'd want Freeman, Beckerman, and Cunningham back, and possibly Cannon.

10. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stand corrected, Wingert was a Rapid. Guess not as memorable as the others :)

I do not think we got much for Cunningham (Mathis), as he's still a good striker, even if he rarely gets the GWG's. I'd rather have Herc (youthful speed better than aging speed).

The jury is still out on Kyle/Mehdi deal. Maybe in 3 years we'll know. For all the crap Kyle got on these threads, I wasn't pleased to see him go. Mehdi may be a bit player with Gomez, or get time while Casey is out (May 08). If we develop him like we did Kyle, then dump him when he's finally matured, it's a terrible trade.

I frankly forgot who we got for Freeman, maybe draft pick?? I would prefer he was here, too.

R

11. fhnkeeper03

fhnkeeper03 Member

Jan 27, 2006
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pretty sure we got nothin for Hunter... MAYYYYBBBEEEEE a draft pick. not sure though

12. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    http://levyashin.blogspot.com/2007/07/mls-2007-team-moves-new-york-red-bulls.html

Hunter Freeman - Traded 4th round pick in 2007 Supplemental draft and 3rd round pick in 2008 Superdraft to Colorado Rapids.

...and the Nat Borchers to the MLS rumor is back with RSL being one of the teams linked with him.

13. pabloM

pabloM New Member

Feb 21, 2004
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Re: Nat Borchers Back in MLS?

Considering Houston still owns Corrales' rights and he left before Houston even existed, we should still have the rights to Borchers. Maybe we can get back a 1st round draft pick out of this too, so that the '09 draft isn't a lost cause.

15. ManU62280

ManU62280 New Member

Dec 2, 2004
    Colorado
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agogo scored the winning goal for Ghana in their 4-2 win over the Ivory Coast yesterday. Today Nkong played the full 90 for Cameroon in their 1-0 loss to Egypt in the ACN final.

16. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think it has been over two years since he left which would mean we don't have rights to him.

17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

2 years about a week ago. Though Houston apparently still has Corrales' rights (according to Goff) and he's beeen gone 3 years, so who knows.

18. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this turns out to be true, it would be the first time one of my favorite players on my local favorite team joins my former local favorite team.

Wow, the Rapids really seemed to have missed the boat letting Nkong go.

19. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
  20. ManU62280

ManU62280 New Member

Dec 2, 2004
    Colorado
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope he does head to the EPL. Too bad it will be with the 3rd best team in North London:
    1. Arsenal
    2. Arsenal Reserves
    3. Spurs :D

21. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Other than winning us reserves championships, it looks like the Clavijo era will best be remembered as a launching pad for the most successful former Rapids (Peguero, Cunningham, Nkong, Beckerman, Noel, hell even Cletus have gone on to better things).

22. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Bah. Doesn't prove nothing. Tottenham spent 8 million pounds to buy Dean Richards. They'll buy anything. :D

23. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    SJ - GK Joe Cannon (Preston Burpo, 46th), D James Riley (Chris Roner, 64th), D Nick Garcia (Taylor Graham, 46th), D Jason Hernandez (Jay Ayres, 64th), D Chris Pozniak (Greg Curry, 64th) (Robert Sandoval, 75th), M Shea Salinas (Adam Smarte, M Joe Vide (Eric Denton, 46th), M Ned Grabavoy (Fabrice Noel, 64th), M Ivan Guerrero (Tim Bohnenkamp, 64th), F Gavin Glinton (Yuri Morales, 46th), F Kei Kamara (Matt Taylor, 64th)

http://houston.mlsnet.com/news/team...ent_id=138912&vkey=pr_hou&fext=.jsp&team=t200

24. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, Noel is playing with SJ? Good for him.

25. ManU62280

ManU62280 New Member

Dec 2, 2004
    Colorado
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States