Former College Coach Brandt leaves USL's Pittsburgh due to new USSF "A" License Requirement

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by bhoys, Nov 14, 2017.

1. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    And how does one get an "A" license?

You pay USSF a pile of money for their coaching classes, starting at "E".

JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  2. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Yes, and it takes years to get unless you have played at a high level, then you jump in midway.

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    You can thank the NASL lawsuit for this. USSF gonna be going very by the book with sanctioning right now.

Curious why Brandt hasn't been bumping these off over the years. In 20 years as college HC you'd think he could do one of these every other year or so to get to B before he got to the Riverhounds then get the A the past 2 years.

JoeSoccerFan and fknbuflobo repped this.
  4. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    The days of my kids in youth soccer are way behind me now, but I recall an effort by our local State Assn, Cal South, to require all coaches of teams at high school age or above to have at least a D license - for which they offered week-long classes. My response as a club board member as was that I thought the background check was more important for youth soccer coaches than any coaching license. I took the half-day F course which was so bad it isn't even offered any more, and the 2-day E course (eventually the minimum required to be a club coach), which wasn't all that rigorous - two people in the class passed the course in their wheelchairs (after their checks cleared, of course).

5. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    i can't believe someone who's been in the business that long didn't have the foresight to expect he'd need the license at some point, even if he only saw it as a hoop to be jumped through.

JoeSoccerFan and fknbuflobo repped this.
  6. OverseasView

OverseasView Member+

Olympique Lyonnais
    France
    Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    So he is going to be back to college soccer?
    What team could he target?

7. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ohio State? God, please NO!

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Penn State should make a move for him. Would be a big upgrade.

SoccerFan111 repped this.
  9. SoccerFan111

SoccerFan111 Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Agreed. Instead of waiting out Warming, move on and get Brandt while you can. There is no reason Penn State shouldn't be in the NCAAs every year and competing at the national level. Brandt could take them there and I would think he'd be interested in that position.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  10. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For all the years Brandt has been coaching, he could have gotten the A for peanuts years ago. I'm rather surprised he didn't. One didn't have to start at E either. For years, X-amount of coaching years in college could get a straight pass to the B or A.

This is all on Brandt and Riverhounds. Common job requirements. Zidane had similar issue in Spain. It's not limited to US. I'm sure quick Google searches could get more "unknown" situations. But, we never usually hear about it because people are going through the requirements so they don't have to be one of those situations.

espola, Sandon Mibut and fknbuflobo repped this.
  11. OverseasView

OverseasView Member+

Olympique Lyonnais
    France
    Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The Zizou (our family worship. with Titi TH14 also) story is that he was finishing his UEFA and French diplomas at the time the Spanish federation (a bunch of old political retards by the way) wanted to make a political statement leveraging a foreigner case. But they lost as European regulations allow to be coach while you are finishing your studies. ZZ having already various diplomas and being in his last months was cleared by the Spanish Sport Administrative Court itself. Meaning the REF had to eat its own feces.

This precision to highlight that indeed Brandt and the RH could have better managed their ship. I.e. anticipating and making sure he was on the road to get the required paper. I am sure a derogation would have been obtained if he waw able to prove he was a good pupil.