Former Barca Players II - from Assulin to Zambrotta

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Gilmango, May 21, 2012.

1. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    unclesox repped this.
  2. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    essentially won us the CL final in 2006 with his performance

Gilmango repped this.
  3. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Not sure if I'd put Valdés top of the list but he's up there among Ramallets and Zubizarreta, both highly rated by club historians. Sadurní should also be mentioned and Urruti has always been a fan favorite. All five are listed on the Legends page of the club's website.
    But I remember having to defend Valdés numerous times on this forum from those who felt he wasn't quality enough to be on the team. He's more than earned his legendary status. A shame the end of his career faded the way it did.

Pedro Artola may not be considered a legend but he was in goal when I began following the club and so ranks high in my own personal favorites list. Artola and Urruti for me.

inswinger, evil_allan and Gilmango repped this.
  4. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I deleted the top 5 discussion part of your quoted poast as I'm not here (nor experienced enough) to discuss that, but you are absolutely right that VV was often under-appreciated at Barca. When he won the Zamora many people, including many Barca fans, would point out that he did not have to stop many shots since Barca dominated possession. When he supported our high pressing, high line of defense by playing 'sweeper keeper' he'd often get criticized for taking the very risks which were asked of him by the various coaches he played under. So all his team trophies and all his Zamora trophies, and all his highlights were underestimated by many, and were considered to be the result of the luck to play behind Puyol, Xavi, Messi, Iniesta, Ronaldinho, Pique, Abidal, Busquets, Toure, Keita, Motta, Eto'o, etc., etc. etc. and frankly that is why he wanted to and decided to leave. He'd never be fairly appreciated for his importance at Barca in their success, but he'd surely be negatively judged for any failures (see Liverpool CL elimination). So why not go to a less stressful club and show he could succeed because he was in fact an excellent keeper. But then injury, still holds fast to plan to leave, signs the ManU instead of recovering at Barca, the ManU debacle with new coach (prior asshole coach to current asshole coach) not letting him play with first team or leave freely, finally one year as first choice at a PL squad which was OK at best, injuries, decided to hang them up. Sad end to a great career.

inswinger and unclesox repped this.
  5. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

#705 Forzabarca, Aug 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2017
  6. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  7. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So is Xavi retired or what? Haven't played this season. Was surprised to find him reaching over 1000 senior games (1017).

10. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was wondering the same thing and looked it up this morning, when he signed for Al Sadd in Qatar it was for 3 years (through 2018) I read on Wikipedia but this makes it look like 2 years and he re-signed for one more, http://www.espnfc.com/story/3046695/xavi-hernandez-signs-contract-extension-with-al-sadd-until-2018 (and transfermarkt says same thing) either way expected to retire in 2018, and is already pursuing getting coaching training and badges. Also expected to be some kind of paid 'ambassador' of sorts for Qatar leading up to 2022 World Cup I believe.

I find it hard to find any stats on Qatari league but if not playing probably an injury.

Bada Bing repped this.
  11. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bravo leads Man City to PK shootout victory and semifinals of Carbao Cup, Guardiola goes for celebratory hug and the old Pep head rub (better than a Pep slap) and Claudio is not happy. Being relegated to the bench except for domestic cups, when he thought he was joining City to once and for all be the #1 will grate, no doubt, as will missing World Cup for likely his last chance. At least he is filthy rich.

There's a live video embedded in the link but these photos sort of sum it up: [​IMG]
    http://www.marca.com/en/football/international-football/2017/12/20/5a3aadb4ca4741cd0a8b4625.html

14. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Wasn't it an ex Barca player who scored the winner yesterday against Atletico ??

15. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Yes! Sergio Garcia.

16. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Over the weekend I was making a twitter list that exclusively featured members of Spain's 2010 World Cup team.
    Among the accounts I added was Victor Valdes', who had recently tweeted out a nice image of a sunrise from some open field.
    Today his twitter account no longer exists. :confused:
    https://twitter.com/1victorvaldes

17. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read about him saying goodbye, apparently it was a promise to his family and sounds like he did not like the spot light of social media too much ever: http://www.marca.com/en/football/barcelona/2018/01/02/5a4bb2c0ca4741c93a8b456d.html

http://www.sportbible.com/football/...etes-all-social-media-after-retiring-20180102

unclesox repped this.
  18. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  19. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Is there anyone around knowledgeable enough on Barca to give us a heads-up when one of our loaned-out players is playing on TV ??

20. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Athletic Bilbao v Alavés (Munir) is going on right now but beIN (U.S.) showing Villarreal-Deportivo.
    Munir started on the bench.

Viscaelbarca and TitoTata repped this.
  21. bronx_bull

bronx_bull Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Victor is a legend. After as someone said ramallets and zubizaretta, he was an amazing keeper who had a very powerful personality and crazy willpower.

Puyol and Xavi get a lot of credit but without victor none of this would have been possible. He was just awesome and always took the risk and added value to the play apart from saves and protection of the ball.

He did a mad decade from 2004 to 2014 and our best era ever in the history of the club. The dream team was its own era but out bunch were a part of the 200406 team as well as Guardiola s team.
    His shirt is what I will always buy after Puyol and Luis Enrique.

inswinger, condor11 and evil_allan repped this.
  22. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

23. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Ronaldinho retired officially today.

Barca has a pretty solid past, but the recent past greats - Valdes, Puyol, Xavi, Dinho - have been something truly special.

inswinger repped this.
  24. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    For me Ronaldinho retired around 2007 :ROFLMAO:

He had an OK run at Flamengo and Atletico in Brazil. But never the same after 2006.

Enjoyed watching his career from 2002 WC on. Was a joy to watch at his peak. Also saw his first game for Barca in a pre-season friendly in the US vs Juventus. He only played in the 2nd half as he had just flown in. Still gave a couple of magical passes.