Former Athletica Players

Discussion in 'Saint Louis Athletica' started by Cville K C, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Watching tonight's USWNT game reminded me that Tanc was the one to get the tying goal in Saturday's game. Which reminded me how Veronica Perez scored the game winner against the US last fall. Hmm...

Anyway, nice to see Loyden get some time in goal. =-)

3. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Just a random update....

The WashU women's soccer team (ast. coach Chalupny) won their final match of the regular season against Chicago 1-0 this weekend, and today got an at-large bid for the NCAA playoffs - they didn't win their conference, but that's not saying much, as three or four of the UAA schools are ranked.

Kendall Fletcher is back in Australia again with the Melbourne Victory. As of the third gameday, Melbourne has a 1-1 record, and I think Fletcher's played all 180 minutes so far. No goals, though.

...Do I need to mention Solo?

4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Re-update:

WashU came from behind in the Sweet Sixteen to win 2-1 over St. Benedictine, and was up 2-0 at the 70th minute versus Wheaton (Ill.) but gave up three in two minutes on the way to a 2-4 loss in the Elite Eight.

Melbourne smashed Adelaide 4-0 in week 5, unfortunately no goals from Fletcher.

OurGameMagazine has tweeted that Coach Barcellos has regained his position as Brazil's head coach, ousting Lima. (How much this is "news" I'm not sure, as OGM also recently tweeted Bardsley to Linkoping(sp?) when we here at BigSoccer knew that months ago.)

Also, Miyama is up for an AFC player of the year award.

5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  7. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I already posted Lima got the job as a hand-me-down. He Couldn't win with a loaded U20 squad, and had loaded Santos teams playing sand field favela teams, except for Foz. The fact that May couldn't get a spot on the national team and sure up the defense showed he was a retard. Of course he topped my bonehead WC list. Dont worry Santos will take him back. They just had a temp while he was gone.

8. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Jorge does well with Brazil, but they need to address other problems as well. Overall, women's soccer isn't supported as well as it should be in Brazil, considering the talent level they have.

But one of the biggest problems Brazil has is there approach as far as preparation goes. Basically, they expect to bring all their best players together a couple of months before the World Cup and with a snap of their fingers, be ready to compete against the best teams. The rest of the time, their team lays virtually dormant, except for the Olympics.

Usually, their talent can carry them far, in spite of the lack of preparation and time together as a team. But then they get into a close game against a tough team and they can't get over the hump. I think they need to play more friendlies against tough competition. Their location is a bit of a problem, because the closest really tough competition would be the US, Mexico, and Canada. After that, you're talking long trips to Europe and Asia. That plus their players are scattered all over the world.

Sometimes, it's luck, too. Had the US been as miserable at PK's as they were against Japan, Brazil would have made the semis and who knows what happens after that. But the theatrics at the end of the US game and then giving up a goal that late was inexcuseable.

In any case, the best of luck to Jorge, who will always be one of my favorite people in the soccer world.

9. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Wrong! Lima got more prep than anyone. Erika, Marta, Cristie, Ester, Faby, Paula, Aline, etc, etc, etc are all a part of the Santos merry-go-round. He's a horrible international coach. with santos and his soccer clinics he had one of the most prepared u20 teams and tanked out in the quarters.

Bone move not to get Daiana out of harms way at the end of the game vs the USA. dumb coaching move. Having them sit on the ball one man up and Erika playing dead = dumb coach.

Lima had more than Jorge could dream of.l

10. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think if you read my post, you might have noticed that I didn't once say anything about Lima's coaching ability being good nor that I thought he was anywhere near the coach that Barcellos is. It was mainly about Jorge and the problems he will be facing.

But as far as preparation goes, let's look at Brazil's game preparation leading into the World Cup. The only match they played in the six months leading up to the World Cup was one match against Chile.

In December of 2010, they played four matches in the Sao Paulo tournament, two against Canada, one against Mexico, and one against Holland. Certainly decent competition, sure, but hardly great, with Canada being the only highly ranked team of the bunch. Before that, there was South American qualifying, which let's face it, is hardly world class. They could send their second team out and win that tournament. Before that...nothing. No international matches for the first 10 months of 2010. How in the heck can you prepare a team like that?

You mention Santos, but again, how much competition is there really there? Not much.

In any event, we have strayed far from the subject. My main point is that Jorge is a very good coach, but he could use some help from their football associaton in scheduling tougher matches to prepare them for ones like the WC quarterfinal. I hope he does well.

11. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    News from Down Under:
    Kendall Fletcher & the Melbourne Victory qualified for the W-League playoffs for the second consecutive season, once again managing a 4th-place finish in the league. They will face premiers Canberra United this weekend.
    Fun fact #1: with the semi-finals as they are, this season will be the first time since the inaugural season that the Grand Final will not be a match between Brisbane and Sydney. (If Sydney beat Brisbane in the other semifinal, it will be the first time ever that Brisbane is not in the Grand Final.)
    Fun fact #2: when Golden Boot winner Michelle Heyman (Canberra) was asked who Melbourne's biggest threat was, she said Fletcher. =-)

12. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember that they were teammates a couple of years ago with the Central Coast Mariners.

13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Just to keep things rolling here....

Already known:
    -Aluko to B-ham (FA WSL)
    -Chalupny to Chicago (WPSL EL)

Recent:
    -Fletcher to Vittsjö (Damallsvenskan)
    -Hope and Miyama at the Algarve still look to be quite good friends (seen at least two different pictures of them together, not sure if it was before or after the match - I think after)

Upcoming:
    -Hope, Miyama, and coach Barcellos at the Kirin Cup in Japan

Hope I didn't miss anything....

14. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  15. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Updating who's where:

-Chalupny @ Chicago (WPSL EL)
    -Addis (nee Weber) @ Chicago (WPSL EL)
    -Cinalli @ Chicago (WPSL EL)
    -DiMartino @ NY Fury (WPSL EL)

-Hanks @ Dallas (WPSL)

-Hope @ Seattle (W-League)
    -Perez @ Seattle (W-League)

-Aluko @ B-ham (FA WSL)

-Fletcher @ Vittsjö (Damallsvenskan)
    -Asante @ Göteborg FC (Damallsvenskan)

-Miyama @ Okayama (L. League)

I bet I've missed a fair amount....

Cville K C repped this.
  16. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Niki Cross - Bayern Munich (Frauen Bundesliga)

Not actively playing organized soccer as far as I know:
    Lisa Stoia - Has been assistant coach at West Virginia for five years
    Stephanie Logterman - Recently started medical school at the University of Texas in Houston (thanks to an OurGame magazine update from last fall)
    Ashlee Pistorius Slayback - Left Ursuline Academy in St. Louis last spring after coaching a couple of years there and apparently decided to venture into the business world:
    http://www.stltoday.com/sports/high...cle_ee912292-9bb6-11e0-838e-001a4bcf6878.html

Ashlee is still listed as the coach at St. Charles Community College, however.

Thanks to SiberianThunder for keeping up with the players. A shortage in time over the past year has made me a little lax in my updates. I will try to do some research to find out what some of the others are doing soon.

17. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yes, I'm still paying attention here. X-D

I think Cinalli scored one of the goals in Chicago's USASA Open Cup title win. Chalupny was in Rochester helping Chicago cream Boston.

Also a good day at the Olympics - Miyama and Tancredi each scored one in Japan's 2-1 victory over Canada, and Francielle tallied one in Brazil's 5-0 thrashing of Cameroon.

18. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Former Athletica Player Update (Olympic Edition):
    Eight former members of Saint Louis Athletica (as well as one head coach) are participating in the 2012 London Olympic Soccer Tournament, representing six different countries, all of which have made the quarterfinals.

Francielle (Brazil) - Started all three games for Brazil, scoring their first goal of the tournament against Cameroon. Also earned a yellow card against Great Britain.

Melissa Tancredi (Canada) - Started all three games for Canada and leads the tournament with four goals, having scored in each match. She scored Canada's only goal against Japan, one against South Africa, and both goals against Sweden including the equalizer in the 84th minute. The Tanc has literally turned into a scoring machine. Perhaps her stint as an outside back for Athletica made her hungry to be up front again.

Eniola Aluko (Great Britain) - Started all three games for Great Britain who was unbeaten in their group stage.

Anita Asante (Great Britain) - Started all three games for Great Britain.

Aya Miyama (Japan) - Started all three games for Japan and scored a goal in their opener against Canada.

Madelaine Edlund (Sweden) - Has yet to appear in any of Sweden's three matches.

Shannon Boxx (USA) - Was injured early on in USA's first match against France and has not played since.

Hope Solo (USA) - Started all three games in goal for the USA, posting two shutouts and she now has 256 consecutive scoreless minutes in goal and three consecutive victories. Also assisted on an Alex Morgan goal against France. Has also been busy tweeting.....:rolleyes:

Jorge Barcellos (Brazil) - Good to see Jorge back coaching, even if it is for rival Brazil. Good luck to Jorge!

Excellent representation for Athletica and a very strong representation of former WPS players as a whole in the Olympic tournament.

Romario'sgurl repped this.
  19. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    About a week late on the news, but Chalpuny is headed to Sweden:
    http://www.aikfotboll.se/Article.aspx?contentID=5909 (in Swedish)
    Her destination is AIK, a side newly promoted for this season but currently four points from safety with the season ending in early November. They face Umea on Thursday - normally something I would worry about, but apparently Umea are really struggling this year - they're only six points and two standing-positions above AIK.

Cville K C repped this.
  20. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great to hear updates about Lori. I met her after an Athletica game against Gold Pride in 2010 and she was very nice. I know the USA won gold but whenever you see Chalups it really sucks that she's no longer on the USWNT. At least she did win a gold medal but not a World Cup.

B.S. reason if you ask me! She'd do fine on the USWNT! They get paranoid when it comes to consussions!

21. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks to SiberianThunderT for posting! I hadn't caught that news about Chalupny. I spoke with her briefly after a Red Stars game in early June and asked her if she was going to still be coaching this fall. I think at that time, she thought she would be. But this sounds like a good opportunity for her. Go Lori!!!

22. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So she quit her Wash U. Job? She wasn't even there for a year?

23. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, it's not like the college soccer season is very long... I'm betting it was only a one-season deal to begin with.

=edit=
    AIK lost to Umea 3-1 on Thursday. It looks like Chalupny was not yet on the roster for that game; we'll see about tomorrow's match against Goteborg.

24. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Paperwork hadn't cleared from the federations for her to play. So she was there and just looked at the game. She is on the team for Sundays game but they don't mention if they are allowed to play her now or not.
    http://www.aikfotboll.se/Article.aspx?contentID=5964 (in Swedish)

Cville K C and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  25. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lori started for AIK against Kopparbergs/Goteborg FC. Played 90 minutes before being subbed out in a 1-0 AIK victory. She also picked up a yellow card in the contest. The opposition included American players Yael Averbuch and Christen Press, as well as former Athletica teammate (albeit briefly) Anita Asante. Susan Varli scored the goal for AIK.

This moved AIK within one point of the cutoff behind Orebro. Next week, they face the only team under them in the table, Djurgarden.

I haven't seen a game story yet.