Format for 28-team league.

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by shizzle787, Dec 10, 2016.

1. shizzle787

shizzle787 Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    28 is the number Garber is harping on, so here goes.
    2 conferences, with 2 divisions each.
    34 game schedule: you play each of the other 27 teams once, and each of the other 6 teams in your division a second time, and your main rival (who may or may not be in your division) a third.
    Division winners automatically #1 and #2 seeds in each conference.
    16-team playoff. First three rounds over two-legs. Final is a one-off.
    Neat and clean. Just the way it should be.

2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some clubs have obvious rivals, some clubs aren't near other clubs, and some clubs could be the biggest rival of multiple other clubs. Biggest rivals also change when clubs are created. The Red Bulls and D.C. are rivals, but now the Red Bulls' geographic rival is NYCFC. D.C. and Philadelphia fit as rivals geographically, and Toronto FC and Montreal can be Canadian rivals, but then New England's rival will be far away from them. Rather than using rivals, they could take after the NFL and make the one additional game be between the two clubs in the same conference who finished in the same position of different divisions in the previous year.

3. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Both ideas seem fine, but why bother with the conferences? Just one big open bracket play-offs.

And maybe just 12 teams and keep the play-in round. Although I can see the advantages of 16.

4. shizzle787

shizzle787 Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To keep interest on both sides of the country. If all four semifinalists come from the northeast, viewership will be lower.

footballfantatic repped this.
  5. shizzle787

shizzle787 Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could go along with that.

6. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    I agree with most of your assessment, but I think MLS will copy the NFL format for choosing the opponent of that extra game. Since they're so high on parity, each team will play home-and-away matches against each divisional rival and the team in the Conference's sister division that finished in the same place on the table the previous year (ie 4th-place in North Division will play 4th-place in South Division, etc).

7. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I don't buy that. If it is not your team, you either watch because it's compelling or not- it doesn't matter if it's sort of near me. And a final between geographic neighbors would be really compelling. Note 2 of our 4 major leagues leave open the possibility of all 4 "semifinalists" being from the same region because they don't have geographically based "conferences".

xtomx repped this.
  8. shizzle787

shizzle787 Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Super Bowl is the Super Bowl. If my team's not in it, I still watch (mainly for the commercials). I am not alone there. Baseball numbers have been going down, and the NBA and NFL are both east vs. west.

9. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #9 xtomx, Dec 12, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    Exactly.

And?

I don't think you are right about the NFL there, @shizzle787.
    I think you meant NHL.

So, let's see:
    East v. West?
    NBA-Minnesota (west) v. Milwaukee (east)
    New Orleans (west) v. Atlanta (east)
    Nope, doesn't really create interest on both sides of the country.

Baseball may be "going down" but it has absolutely nothing to do with the lack of East v. West.
    Hell, if anything, a regional "World" Series (crap name, btw) of:
    New York Yankees v. New York Mets
    White Sox v. Cubs
    Dodgers v. Angels
    A's v. Giants
    all create way more interest than the Marlins v. Mariners, or Padres v. Orioles, despite those being on "both sides of the country."

AlbertCamus repped this.
  10. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    This is the logical suggestion based on 34 game sched.... 4 conferences of 7. Play everyone once, and your division twice for a total of 33 games, one other game against some random team (for Vancouver, can be one of the Canadian teams).

Top 3 teams each conference make playoffs plus three wildcards (who face two conference winners with lowest point totals). This is intended to award supporters' shield more significantly as they get a bye. 2 and 3 from each division face off. First round is one-off.

After that round, re-seed everyone for QFs based on regualar season points (ignore conference) and form a bracket (open division system) using aggregate matches. If preferred, this can also be one-off in QFs (for fixture congestion) but semis and finals should be aggregate.

Sample conferences based on 2 listed expansion cities plus Sacramento, San Antonio, Cincinnati, and St. Louis (IMHO, best candidates right now).

Pacific: LAG, LAFC, SJE, VAN, PDX, SEA, RSL
    Western (Southwest): Rapids, HOU, FCD, San Antonio, SKC, MN, St. Louis
    Southern: Miami, OCSC, ATL, CLB, Cinci, DCU, Chicago
    Northeast: NER, IMFC, TFC, NYCFC, Red Bulls, Philadeplia,

Is there a better alignment than this.....thoughts? I don't love it due to bunching of expansion teams.

Pacific: As above
    Southern: FCD, HOU, SAS, OCSC, ATL, Miami, Rapids
    Northeast: DCU, NYCFC, Red Bulls, Philadeplia, NER, IMFC
    Central: CLB, Cinci, Chicago, TFC, St. Louis, Minnesota, SKC

I like this less due to time zone issues. Also IMFC aren't grouped with TFC (though you could give them an extra game).

11. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Agreed sort of, just not sure what meaning the conferences have then. My suggestion is similar, but it just assumes 4 conferences. But chances are MLS will stick to the East-West without any logical reason cuz you know, #Muricah!

AlbertCamus repped this.
  12. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    They will want most conferences to have teams with some access to warm spring climates so they can have earlier leauge start dates. They will also want to keep rivals together. Using your teams, I see the following alignment:

Pacific: Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, Sacramento, San Jose, LAG, LAFC
    Mountain/Plains: Minnesota (or St Louis), RSL, Colorado, SKC, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio
    North/Central: Montreal, NER (or NYCFC), TFC, Chicago, Columbus, Cincinnati, St Louis (or Minnesota)
    Atlantic: NER, NYCFC (or NER), NYRB, Philadelphia, DCU, Atlanta, Orlando, Miami

13. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I like this,

I'd assume NER in the north then and NYC in the Atlantic for Hudson River derby.
    Also, I'd assume Minn in the North and St. Louis in the Mountain, as Minnesota would want Chicago as close rival if anyone.

14. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I do like the 4 conferences of 7 teams. That gives you 4 table races to watch. Not sure if you qualify 4 teams out of every conference, or if you use a wildcard system. Both versions have their pros and cons. I prefer keeping it in conference means that the race is more focused between regional rivals which gives those games extra meaning.

I'm also eager for a 16 team playoff. Get rid of the play in game, and just make it a straight bracket all the way. The top seed begins to have more value because the difference between a #1 seed and a #8 seed is going to be a lot bigger than the difference between #1 and #4 which is what we have now.

15. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    Four days and no mention of a single table. :)

footballfantatic and UCFWayne repped this.
  16. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Single Table would require a 54 game season. Just not feasible.

I was thinking of just having a one-and-done playoff where each round consists of one game at the higher seed's field, but after watching the MLS Cup I think that might lead to a lot of negative football.

Last year, Garber said that MLS moved to a 12 team playoff format so that networks would know in the future what to and when to schedule for long range planning. I don't see them changing the format. The top team in each division will have a bye, while the second-place team in each division will host a play-in round game with one of the two conference wild cards that have the next best records (they could both be from the same division). It makes the conference mid- and lower-table games meaningful even at the end of the season for teams where a win, draw or loss could be the difference between hosting a play-in game and not making the playoffs at all. I don't know if there is such a concept of playing spoiler in the European leagues as there is in North American leagues.

17. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once there's more than thirty teams, it can be done! (But shouldn't be.)

18. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    With 35 teams it should be done.

19. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    shorten the regular season to 27 games. lengthen the playoffs....maybe make it a group stage format a la world cup. dont have mls cup in december.

20. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think the clubs would want to give up the revenue from 3 fewer home games (17 out of 34 to 14 out of 28 at home).

footballfantatic and The Franchise repped this.
  21. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    more playoff games, less regular season games = definetely more excitement/interest...probably equal or greater revenue....

plus,a few less home games per season is a chance for mls teams to be creative i.e. friendlies etc....(not that i have been a fan of those friendly matches)....on top of that...the regular season gamws during wqc/intl breaks/fifa tourneys are all weak anyway.....take those away and youre probably close to 28 game season already.....

if you need to beef up the schedule...frontload it with something or take a break in summer for a 2 week us open cupo tourney/ccl.....

22. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Seattle Sounders FC; Arsenal FC
    Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    28 team league, four divisions:
    East
    DC
    Montreal
    NE
    NYCFC
    RBNY
    Philly
    Toronto

Heartland
    Chicago
    Colorado
    Columbus
    KC
    Minnesota
    Salt Lake
    **Cincy/St. Louis/Detroit

South
    Atlanta
    Dallas
    Houston
    Orlando
    *Miami
    **San Antonio
    ** Tampa/Charlotte/Nashville/Raleigh-Durham

Pacific
    Vancouver
    Seattle
    Portland
    San Jose
    Galaxy
    *LAFC
    **Sacramento/San Diego

Play each team in your own division twice for 12 games
    Play every other team once for 21 games.
    33 games total.
    There is no real reason to have 34. Plus they will likely expand the MLS Cup tournament, so they will need more weeks for that.

23. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Teams don't want uneven numbers of home and away games. Nobody does that.

24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your point is valid but college football does do uneven number of home/away games.

25. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This ain't college.

nlsanand and JasonMa repped this.