foreign students in the USA

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by Paul_NL, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    I was looking for some info about the orgins of the foreign students in the US but so far I could only find that there are about 550.000 foreign students, but not where they come from

Can somebody help me with this?

2. Anteaters FC

Anteaters FC New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Hmm...maybe something from the State Department?

3. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    I was looking at there website, but so far I couldn´t find anything

4. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I only learned this from the word of mouth. The largest group of foreign students in the US comes from Canada.

5. mak9

mak9 Member

May 21, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    for undergrad yes....Canada along with UK
    but for grad school you'll tend to see more from asia

anyways you may want to check the individual schools for statistics....

here is the one I am familiar with and I'm sure other schools have similar pages

http://web.mit.edu/iso/stats_07-08/total.shtml

US has always been a great place for advance research...especially because of the investments

in Canada investment in research is very small.....I hear it all time

there are however quite a few problems for foreign students in US....for internship you can't work for government agencies like NASA...and any company that is working with the military. My field of study is AI/robotics so 95% of relevant jobs in US right now are for military purposes and its always frustrating when the company keeps this info confidential.

6. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    If you are from Iran, you can´t study anymore at most university. I am sure US has a similar policy

Thanks by the way and I am hoping someone can find those stats

7. mak9

mak9 Member

May 21, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    yes that is true for soley iranian citizens and its very unfortunate for both sides since most of these individuals are seeking to contribute to the scientific community.

8. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid

According to the MIT stats, China is number 1. From my understanding, China, UK and Canada are the top countries. The numbers for Canadian students included a large percentage of Hong Kong students with Canadian passports. This coming year, we might also see more students from UK. The top British universities will reduce the numbers of input from their private schools(I think by 20%). Many British students are now looking at American universities as options.

9. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    But MIT is just a small percentage of the total foreign students. About 1% are Argentinian students(some probally study on foreign pasports) so that would mean that there about 5000-5500 Argentinians students in the US

10. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    Top universities in the USA have very generous grants and loans for foreign students. I think you could still apply if your parents make more then 100.000 pounds. Soon it wil be cheaper for British students to study at lets say Yale then it is to study at a British university.

That will probally lead to a brain-drain

11. mak9

mak9 Member

May 21, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    indeed

these universities want the best of the best in terms of students who have the potential to contribute the most to society so obviously they will get the financial aid they deserve

12. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    They are not financed by the state but to donations by mainly former Alumni

13. BrunoBaltazar

BrunoBaltazar New Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Well im from Portugal and i would love to study next year in a USA college but i have to see what i can do about it ,due the fact this days the less hard way to get a visa valid for a year is to get a student visa.

14. usasoccerhooligan

May 1, 2005
  15. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    Any chance to see how many of those 582.000 are Argentine nationals?

16. Anteaters FC

Anteaters FC New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Santa Monica
    If you'd actually follow the first link, you'd see that you can find that out.

17. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    No that´s only about MIT

18. usasoccerhooligan

May 1, 2005
    http://opendoors.iienetwork.org/?p=29116

according to that link, there were 3,172 Argentine students on U.S. campuses. i'm assuming that number is still pretty close to the number of students today. the Open Door Report is the best place to find info about international students in the U.S.

that first link i provided shows how many international students there are at Purdue University-West Lafayette and where they are from.

19. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    Thanks, that was about the amount I expected. There might be some that are registered as Europeans, but there probally not a lot