For you guys what were the 5 SNUB in the World Cup (USA only)?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Pedro Rondon H de Sá, Jun 13, 2014.

1. The Clientele

The Clientele Member+

Portland Timbers
    Jun 25, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anybody know if the Wynaldas got a divorce after that? Or is Eric still married to the same woman?

2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    He'd be the world's biggest cuckhold if he didn't get divorced

3. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    yes, and Waldo said that this was a factor. Nice job Captain America.

4. Pedro Rondon H de Sá

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jan 13, 2014
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I never thought Brian Ching good actually prefer Razon or Kreis in 2006. In 2010 I wanted Sasha Kljestan.

5. brewcity77

brewcity77 Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Donovan wasn't even the biggest snub in 2014.

1) Terrence Boyd - Should have come over Wondo (or AronJo). Love Donovan, but Boyd had to be on the plane because we had no cover for Jozy. Sadly, we found out first-hand why we needed him. Inexcusable to not have a second hold-up forward.
    2) Michael Parkhurst - Absolutely should have went ahead of Timmy Chandler. We are led to believe LD was left off for attitude and commitment, yet Chandler makes the plane? He actually did quit on the team and refuse call-ups, at least Donovan made someone aware of what he was doing. And unlike Donovan, Chandler has been woeful for us.
    3) Clarence Goodson - Should have come ahead of Omar Gonzalez. Cameron's best positions are RB and DMF, so we put him at RCB? Goodson should have started, which would have allowed Cameron to play at one of his better positions and allowed us to let our best offensive player, Fabian Johnson, more freedom to roam forward without having to worry as much about his defensive assignments.
    4) Landon Donovan - Should have come ahead of Brad Davis. Don't know why JK is so set on the idea of Landon being a forward. Davis played once and wasn't used for setpieces, so why was he there? Donovan should have been on the plane and in the midfield. Also would have been a better bench option than many we had to go to.
    5) Joe Corona - I don't actually think he should have went ahead of Mix, but maybe if Corona had been on the plane he would have actually played.

6. Pedro Rondon H de Sá

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jan 13, 2014
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I wanted to say 1934, I wrote wrong. But I think Bert Patenaude and Jimmy Doulas were retired at the time. Archie Stark was retired this year too, right?

I think Ruben Mendoza (1950) could be on that list too.

7. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    divorced

8. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Patenaude was not yet retired at the time of the 1934 World Cup, but I don't know whether he was still playing at the same level that he was in 1930. He may have been, because he was still pretty young (only 24 in June 1934). He was still scoring a lot of goals in 1934, including four in a 15-minute span for Stix, Baer & Fuller of St. Louis in a U.S. Open Cup game against another St. Louis team, Ben Millers. He didn't retire until 1939. I've never heard details of why he wasn't on the 1934 team, so maybe he was a snub then, or maybe he was injured. I don't know.

Douglas retired in 1931. Stark retired at the end of the 1933-34 ASL season, by which time he was 36 (although still good enough to lead the ASL in goals in his last season). And he is still my Big Soccer avatar in 2017.

Mendoza was only 19 in 1950 (maybe only 18 when the team was picked). I don't think he really began making his mark with St. Louis teams until a year or two later.

deuteronomy and soccersubjectively repped this.
  9. Pedro Rondon H de Sá

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jan 13, 2014
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it would be interesting to see Dooley and Mike Windischmann playing together, they were good defenders.

10. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 2nd best player in practices at the time, all-time best in games, who subsequently led his team to MLS Cup; wasn't actually the biggest snub of the tournament, rather the 4th? You're just trying to be different in making that claim. And Donovan could have been a target as a speed fw. He didn't need size like Boyd's. And he's a much better player. He's the biggest snub ever, let alone at that one tourney.