For those who want to play for Liverpool - 2018 Winter Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by dcc134, Aug 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffcoop

jeffcoop BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get that part. But why should a player with more than four years remaining on his contract have the power to force a move?

2. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because the club they want to move to is willing to pay a shite load to get them?

3. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, sorry.

Regardless of what soccer we are talking about , I'm willing to give a pass for one of my more favorite songs in highschool...

LOL - yes I'll admit to it....

White/Blue_since1860 repped this.
  4. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he had not made an absurd example, perhaps the point would have had more traction...but Barcelona to Sheffield? Really?

5. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

So are newspaper editors/owners, tv station owners, etc.

If I asked you to name me the (1st World) country I am thinking of where they restrict the practice of their business the most in order to toe the line of their owners (secret)/ sponsors, etc ...

where would you think it is that I refer to.......??

6. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #956 zaqualung, Jan 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    Let's just have it your way then and only move Barcelona to Torremolinas.... and while we are at it, let have a Herta Munchen and, well, here's a doozy... Liverpool FC to Salford...

If you want to expand West then by all means do - except that to do it naturally would require some growth branding, which would diminish sales for a time, and we can't have that ....

None of which explains the Oakland Raiders in Las Vegas.
    What about the recent poisonous nonsense concernign the Colombus Crew??
    Or the nasty blacklist which seems to be operating (also secretly) on Colin Kapernick at the present moment for doing what (and let's be serious here) to any decent minded person in another country would seem like the "right thing" but to the powers that be in America, absoultely the "wrong thing".

You don't get to be one who stands against any of the trigger items that allow these b@stards to generate their war-like ferocity (under the fantastically mind-distorted guise of some kind of worldly benevolence) whenever the need arises.... Nope - you don't get to do that and not expect some punishment in the land of the free and the home of the self-absorbed wanker .....

of course, that's just an opinion.

7. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The usual reaction of someone shocked by a truth they hadn't previosuly considered. Look - when you can point out why it's nonsense, I'll be ready to re-evaluate my opinions.... (which by the tone of your comments) are likely somewhat shrewder than your own.....

8. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    yes, you most certainly could. As you could soon for Raiders fans and Colombus Crew fans ....

Essentially my point. (When you strip away my disgust at the Militarist ties to it all, of course. But that's a separate issue.)

9. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

Well, the clubs capitulate for the sake of general harmony, i think, amongst other things - and it seems that behind this there is the notion that the player can simply choose to not perform - in which case the club loses a chunk of his value at sale.....

10. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The major difference between US sports and European Soccer is the movement of teams in and out of the top tier. In soccer, this is done through performance on the field (which is the result of off field performance) with pro/rel and CL qualifications. In the US its done as the result of off field performance (which is tied to on field performance) and expansion/relocation. Cities lose top tier teams primarily because the city/local market cannot sustain the team at the necessary level to be competitive. These cities typically fill the gap with minor league teams which can be more effectively supported by the local city.

It's really no different than soccer teams from small cities which were once the best in europe, but can't really compete anymore (Villa, Forrest, Glabach).

11. ewibe

ewibe Member+

Jun 4, 2015
    Stavanger
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Villa is a bad example of a small city team Birmingham is kind of a big city

12. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #962 EruditeHobo, Jan 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    Not to mention that those teams are still near their fans...

Small market only has part to do with it; the numerous examples of cities vying for franchises by outright paying for state-of-the-art stadia speak to that. Even an example like the Warriors leaving Oakland, or even the Lakers leaving Inglewood, leaving their roots to get a new stadium in a more fashionable location for no other reason than money, is pretty messed up to the community that lifted them up for decades.

13. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

One other key difference is the travelling fans. Very minimal is the US... Helps further with the sanitizing of the atmosphere....

dcc134 repped this.
  14. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    any chance we can get this thread back on point?

Fussballer, soccershaggy and newterp repped this.
  15. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing lots of rumors out there... Liverpool have been linked to:

- Naby Keita (rebuffed by RBL for early transfer)
    - Mahrez (rubbished by all sides)
    - Lemar (90M pound pricetag quoted somewhere, ouch)
    - Alisson (would be surprised if they were in for keeper already, expect a bid like this in summer)
    - Strootman (doesn't make sense for Klopp's system IMO)
    - Rakitic (same as Strootman)
    - Pulisic (young, talented, not enough of finished article for me, is worth a lot more to BVB than Liverpool so this just seems like BS/recycled rumors)

16. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I know it's early in the window, but it's been very quiet, not much has happened - any club - so far.

17. ewibe

ewibe Member+

Jun 4, 2015
    Stavanger
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The only link I wish was true but I know is BS is the one linking us to donnarumma

imasyko and EruditeHobo repped this.
  18. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah, forgot about that one.

19. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #969 StiltonFC, Jan 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    For a while, Cbus was the largest city in the US w/o a major sports team. It didn't need one It had Ohio State football, etc, plus there are two other MLB teams in Ohio, and two NFL teams, not to mention NBA.

"Soccer" is a sport that is tolerated in the US, so for Columbus to have some messiness with a soccer team wouldn't surprise me. The owner has no real ties to Columbus -- he's from The City -- and Austin is a slightly larger market than Cbus.

20. blanconi

blanconi Member+

Aug 25, 2008
    That's what happens when you fail to establish yourself as a destination club.

Too bad. The kid was really good.

21. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    So was Ronaldo.

newterp repped this.
  22. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    VVD turned down City and Chelsea to play for Liverpool. Oxlade-Chamberlain turned down Arsenal and Chelsea to play for Liverpool. Naby Keita signed for Liverpool despite every club in Europe wanting him. Klopp has made us a destination club.

delaynomo, dcc134, kopiteinkc and 3 others repped this.
  23. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think Klopp is playing the long game with Lemar and Keita. Ideally it would be great to get one of them now

24. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Per Jason Burt of the Telegraph and Jonathon Northcroft, there is a mystery player we've been linked within the past, but not currently linked with who is looking likely for January.

Some suggested names: Brandt, Draxler, Pulisic, Kovacic, Dahoud.

25. blanconi

blanconi Member+

Aug 25, 2008
    That's some desperate cherry picking that ignores said player's concerns about playing time had they chosen a different club. It also ignores quality. Keita is really good and developing, VVD is promising and Ox is far from a world class player. None are currently in the same class as Phil, Suarez, Torres (at the time), Alonso, etc. In addition to those, there is an extensive list of world class players that wouldn't even consider Liverpool as a destination, and that again, cannot be ignored.

Before rushing into such overt conclusions, wait and see the club's ability to retain Keita in a few years, for example. That should give you a clue as to whether things have improved in any substantive way. It's not just about acquisitions but also about retentions.

Klopp is doing good things at the club and I really wish he turns the club into a destination club. Unfortunately, that's not just up to him. His style of football is very attractive for players and fans alike but that is only one piece of the puzzle.

I'm hoping for the best but as of right now, we are not a destination club. That's just reality.