For those who want to play for Liverpool - 2018 Winter Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by dcc134, Aug 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not a legitimate source. Would be great - but it's not legitimate.

What it would mean also is that we were happy to let Can go.

2. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can clearly leaving at this point.

3. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Manchester City will compete with Liverpool for Southampton defender Virgil van Dijk, 26, in the January transfer window. (Daily Mirror)

4. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Reading that too - dang...all that does is drive up his price...

5. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah well, we had our chance and shot ourselves in the foot.

6. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    no we didn't ffs. why do ppl keep saying that?

soton simply refused to sell, same as us with Coutinho - do you think barca didn't get him was because they "shot themselves in the foot"?

el-capitano, Sir Niney and burning247 repped this.
  7. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Shows just how pathetic a club they are.
    A defender is going to miss 4-6 weeks through injury so they'll go out and buy a new one.

8. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but read the reasoning why in that article. They are even more interested in another CB because Stones is now potentially out for six weeks with a pulled hamstring? They may be interested, but this has all the trappings of yet another wind-up transfer article based on nothing but a wing-and-a-prayer.

9. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    beat me to it wingtips :)

Wingtips1 repped this.
  10. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because of the stories about how we approached the player before the window (or something like that?) and the club brass got their panties all twisted about it, and refused to see even after we met their ridiculous asking price.

11. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    come on now. players are contacted by other clubs - one way or another, involving agents usually - all the damn time. it's the way all transfers work. there's more back-channel communications involved than anything else. it's a swamp, frankly. Barca's players talk constantly about how much they want Phil to go there ... and now PSG players are doing it.

yes Soton threw a hissy fit but not because we did anything wrong ... they just got tired of us buying their best players over the past 5 years or so and decided enough was enough, they don't want to be seen as Liverpool's feeder club.

12. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the Mane purchase and his instant success definitely pissed them off too.

SamScouse repped this.
  13. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    yep, I'm sure their supporters have completely lost patience. they've been delighted with the way Soton stonewalled VVD's move.

14. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In hindsight they should have taken the money and invested in their very disjointed squad.

15. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  16. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Liverpool have made contact with PSG over a January loan move for Germany midfielder Julian Draxler, 24. (L'Equipe via Daily Mail)

temp solution if Can goes, while waiting for Naby?

17. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Draxler would/will be a fabulous signing but I don't see him as a replacement for Can , doesn't Draxler prefer the left side / left wind area !!??

There was some talk about Barca trying to get him to fill part of the gap left by Neymar ..

18. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Liverpool midfielder Emre Can, 23, has reportedly agreed personal terms with Serie A champions Juventus. (Tuttosport via Daily Star)

19. ryered

ryered Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    Hill Country
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Good player, best of luck to him in Serie A. Let's get someone in this winter and get a few quid for him in January. Onward.

20. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Can will probably do well in Italy where the game is a bit slower . I always felt his lack of pace was a weakness for him in the prem league.

21. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dont think Can is lacking in pace at all... but he will succeeed in Italy and at Juve because he will have more time on the ball.

Sad to lose him, he's a good player, but in a way you have to respect the fact that neither he nor the club are compromising on something that means a lot to them.

Already have Naby coming in, I personally would keep him and use him for the rest of the season. Unless they can sign finally Zielinski (which they can't).

22. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I don't want to replicate our long debate ... but you never really responded on the financial aspect of your approach. Would you really let him walk away for nothing as opposed to getting 20mill+ pounds (or whatever we can sell him for) ?

23. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nah. Can is asking for an absurd wage*. he wanted out, for whatever reason, and he's bullying the club in the final year of his deal. why should we respect that.

*Mane is on 90/wk Salah on 120/wk

In what world is Can worth more than 100/wk to the club???

The only way that the deal he wants would work is to sign him and sell him IMMEDIATELY.

But I guess he would nix that in the contract.

24. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    we could go after this guy, although I'm not sure where we'd play him ...

Barcelona forward Lionel Messi has signed a new contract with a buyout clause worth 700m euros (£626m). :)

meanwhile Newcastle Football Club is up for sale, looking at an offer of £300m. :oops:

25. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The club has been trying to nail Can down to a new deal for close to two years now and it's still not done so that tells me clearly Can has intentionally let his deal run down . The club has resigned numerous first teamers to new deals over the past couple years other than him.
    Can's well aware that still being a young player that he'll command a huge sign on fee with whoever he goes to, in this case probably Juve. He's good but not that good to be guaranteed a first team start at Liverpool and once Keita comes perhaps even less chance for him.
    I don't see him leaving in Jan simply because I can't see Juve (or any club for that matter) paying anything for a player they get for free in the summer.